“dated but not dirty” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
California
“dated but not dirty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a family get together in Fresno. Pros: the location is good , plenty of free parking, there is a complimentary breakfast.the room was clean and good size and the bed was comfortable. We paid $89 for a dbl room with 2 queen beds on a Sat night.
Cons: The rooms are decorated in 80's decor, mauve and burgundy everywhere, shiny brass, old 20 in TVs. Cultured marble sinks in the bathroom and shower are likely from the 70's.
The complimentary breakfast is held in their bar area which is cozy with a fireplace. However, they ran out of biscuits and coffee creamer. The biscuits were substituted with sausage which was good but quickly was gobbled up by the high number of guests eating breakfast. it was odd that all of the plates were china with real silverware but the coffee cups were styrofoam.

Room Tip: Avoid any room facing the parking lot or street; the rooms facing the courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for recent visit to the Piccadilly Inn Shaw and your valuable feedback. I am glad to hear your room was comfortable and the breakfast met your needs. The Piccadilly Inn Shaw has changed ownership and with this comes great changes. Some of the many changes include new flat screen TV’s, additional TV channel options, bathroom’s countertops will have new granite and also updating of our bedding. This has begun and should all be complete by Spring 2013. If you find yourself back in Fresno, please give us an opportunity to show you all our changes.

Paula Flores

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Cleburne, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is an older hotel that has not been updated since the 1980's. Though it was very clean and the rooms were very spacious. The front staff was nice. Though I checked in late in the evening, and he gave me the room number and some vague directions to the room, and it was pretty dark walking to the room. Breakfast and WIFI were included.

I reserved the room online. After I checked the price I called the hotel to see if they would match it, which the would not. This was a fine hotel for the price I paid. But, if I had paid any more I would have thought I had overpaid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear your room met your needs. We are under new ownership and are currently updating our rooms, which includes new bedding, TV’s, granite and also additional TV channels. I am very sorry to hear that my staff was not able to match your rate. We always do our best to honor price match requests, as long as the availability. If you are ever back in Fresno in the next couple months, please give us an opportunity to show you all our new changes.

Woodinville, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I grew up in Fresno and knew that Piccadilly Inn was in a fairly nice area and had a good reputation. My family enjoyed a stay at the Inn on a visit about 10 years ago. My husband and I spent the weekend of Dec. 8th at Piccadilly Inn. We were extremely disappointed. When we walked into the wing our room was in it smelled very much like a bad nursing home (urine). My husband thought it had an old smoker's room smell. Needless to say, we won't be staying there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit with us. Once our staff is made aware of guest concerns like the one you experienced, we make them a priority. The staff should have offered to assist you by either moving rooms or buildings or asking you that what else we could do to assist you and making your stay an enjoyable one. We do have some smoking rooms available that are located in a separate building, so that our non smoking guests are not to be affected. My apologies again for not meeting your expectations during your visit, we have some exciting renovations coming our way and if you’re every back in Fresno I hope you would give us another opportunity to show.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My mom, daughter & I stayed here last night on our way to Disney Land. We parked in a very well lit spot close to our room and upon returning to our car this morning it had been vandalized. A side window & the rear window had been smashed. When I went to go talk to the front desk about it, the clerk was both aware of it and rude and unhelpful. When I asked why they had neglected to let me know since they already knew, she stated that we had a do not disturb sign on our door and had tried to call. She was completely unapologetic and unsympathetic about the entire situation and stated that they were not responsible in any way and it happens all the time in fresno. I requested the phone number to the local police, she informed me that I would have to deal with that myself, she did end up writing it down for me, in a begrudging way. I was told a supervisor from the Inn may call me on Monday. Their parking lot has a sign stating that they patrol it 24 hours, obviously this is not the case, and while they are not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle they also will not care if anything happens to it either. They are located in a fine part of town and have a parking lot that is well lit in many places, the room was clean and if I had not experienced their complete lack of courtesy, I would have recommended them. However, after this experience I highly recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that your room met your expectations. I am disappointed that we clearly dropped the ball on how we handled the unfortunate situation that occurred during your stay. We should have handled your vehicle break in with more care, compassion and urgency. Guest safety and satisfaction is a priority for us at the Piccadilly Inn Shaw. We have since updated all our procedures and have retrained all staff on how too properly handle guest incidents. With the property being set on 7.5 acres we do have security and do our best watch all that is happening on site. I apologize again that your travels were affected and you did not have a positive stay with us while visiting Fresno. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel with any other questions or concerns.
Modesto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

After reading the reviews, our director decided to choose Piccadilly Inn Shaw as our band's hotel for the 2012 Western Band Association Championships. The rooms were only $79 for four people to a room, and the property wasn't too far from our show location. So we decided to go with it. If only we had known...

My initial reaction to the property was positive. I had seen it on Google Maps before, and I had braced myself because I knew (thanks TripAdvisor users!) beforehand that the property was a little dated. It was afternoon, I wasn't too tired, and it was pretty smooth sailing. That was the high point of our stay.

Upon entry to the building we are in (there are several buildings--think college dorm village, sort of), I smelled smoke. The sign said this was a nonsmoking building, but I guess that wasn't honored, or something. I went into the room and it was pleasantly spacious; however, the only thought I could come up with was "wow, this is VERY dated". The curtains and bedding were hideous. The bathroom was in need of renovation. It was pretty old. Not only was the layout sort of college dorm-esque, remove the bathroom and that's about the quality that these rooms were. Sort of disappointing. No A/V jacks on the TV, for those of you wondering. Also, the heating/air conditioning system is seasonally restricted. It was quite warm out when we arrived at the hotel and there was no way to turn the air conditioning on. Disappointing.

Next! Relax time! There was an exercise room, a pool (spa was out), and a golf course. Didn't try the golf course. Friends were reporting that the pool was nice. It did look wonderful! I have to give it my compliments for that. The exercise room...a different story. Lots of mirrors in there, made it look a lot bigger than it was. There was four machines total, for the whole hotel, and two weren't working. Great. Bad show, folks. Bad show. It was a fairly uneventful remainder of the night. We went to Home Town Buffet, which was very close. Good location.

The next morning was what took my review from four stars to two. First, we woke up and the room next to us (part of our group) found a cockroach in their bed. That was great. Reported to front desk, they wrote something down and said "Sorry 'bout that". I don't know if that's an appropriate response to a cockroach. Another room in our group found trash from a previous guest just thrown on the bed. Isn't that a health code violation? The breakfast was extremely disappointing. We were told a "hot breakfast" with "bacon and scrambled eggs" and things. What was there? One platter of fruit (gone within 5 minutes because there was two groups there), two waffle makers (lines were VERY long) and coffee and juice. And biscuits. Well, blow me down.

Run down of a few other amenities, the WiFi was through AT&T so it was easy to access, no little surprises. It was slow but that was to be expected with a lot of teenagers with a lot of devices. I forgive that. Everything else was your standard hotel experience.

Anyway, to sum it all up, it was an OK experience. Borderline OK. Wouldn't recommend a stay there. If staying in Fresno, I'd recommend one of the countless Hilton or Marriott chains.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Your director did connect with my staff and we were made aware of all the unfortunate incidents that you mentioned in your review upon check out. We are currently working on improvements to all areas that you mentioned including upgrading to new TV’s, new channels and Spa has been fixed. The breakfast has had some changes, as well as making sure our staff have all retrained and prepared for large groups. Thank you again for your review.
Pismo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Reserved our 1 night stay at the last minute on Hotwire.com. Being a native of this area originally, I know this used to be a very nice place to stay. Well, that was 30 years ago, and I think that's how old most the furnishings in the room are. Haha. We paid $71 plus tax, well not bad I guess, but bring extra pillows, and some soap for the shower because you just get the one so make up your mind, wash your hands after the restroom, or use it to wash your...you know, in the shower? How much can 2 bars cost? The rooms really need updating, and the chair and ottoman have seen better days. I immediately toss the bedspread on the floor. After watching Hotels Impossible, I wont even put my dirty feet on it. The TV was still a big boxy one, i thought those were extinct? It looks tiny in the huge cabinet. Oh, and there was a tiny refrigerator inside of the door of the cabinet. Couldnt use the freezer section because it had tons of frost on it. It wasn't a spectacular room, but it was ok. They didn't put us on the busy street side of the hotel so that was nice. I actually think we were about the only ones in our wing, so pretty quiet. But then it was only a Wednesday night. The weekends get noisy because of wedding parties and receptions hosted here.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Indeed we have some upgrading to do and our new ownership is in fact springing for many new amenities. We are currently installing new TV’s in all 188 rooms, upgraded channels, removal of bedspreads and new pillows. I am sorry that our housekeeping staff failed to defrost the in room refrigerator, during your stay. Yes, the single level bungalows are the most requested due to the location and being away from the street. We hope if you ever visit Fresno again, you give us another opportunity to show off all our upgrades.
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here the weekend of my wedding and it was the hotel choice of our wedding guests. They first off gave us a great deal on the rooms. The staff was very accomidating with all of our wedding party needs. The rooms are nice and clean. The location cannot be beat. Breakfast was included each morning of the stay.

I have to make a point to say that Michelle at the front desk went above and beyond for me. Anything I asked of her it was taken care of. She always had a smile on her face and even our guests commented on how nice, kind and professional she was. She was the shinning star of the Piccadilly staff.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

Room Tip: They are currently upgrading rooms. Try and get an upgraded room. And get to breakfast early on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kinds words about Michelle. I am glad you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently upgrading our rooms, so next time you find yourself in Fresno; I hope you stay with again.

Been to Piccadilly Inn Shaw? Share your experiences!