“Best place ever - friendly - helped during hospital visit” 5 of 5 stars

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2305 W. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93711   |
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Fresno, California
“Best place ever - friendly - helped during hospital visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I flew from out of state to go to the local VA hospital here. First they matched the expedia price i found online without having to go through expedia. I told them I'm coming to goto the hospital, they were very helpful. I had lots of questions on the area, how close they are to the airport, the VA hospital, reliable cab services, etc....all were met with friendly answers. The front staff were prompt and courteous. Happy hour was a good deal. Excellent food! If you've never had blue cheese fried...you need to. I had to catch a cab before 6am, their breakfast time, I asked the manager if they would give me a bagel and a piece of fruit the night before. Not only did I get a bagel and fruit, I got a metal tray full of samples of everything they had to offer! The bartender was exceptionally friendly. The rooms were nice and clean, nothing fancy but clean these days is hard to find. Outstanding stay. I had a ton of weight on my shoulders from my surgery, they made the medical trip much easier.

Room Tip: Avoid where you see kids. The hotel is a set of "suites" with about 6-10 rooms in each se...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you Mark for your valuable feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff took care of you. If you are ever back in Fresno (hopefully not for a hospital visit) please stay or stop by and see all the changes that are happening at the property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I really liked this hotel. The staff was pleasant, the room was clean and spacious, and the beds were reasonably comfortable. I'd recommend that you turn the A/C down before the sun goes down, unless you are a penguin and like it frozen when you get back from wherever you've been. Otherwise, though, this place had a nice temporary living space, with a little dining table, a fridge (but not microwave), coffee machine, and a cute little vanity area for me to put my makeup on. Also appreciated the free wi-fi and comfy office chair. TV channel selection was wanting, but I didn't come to Fresno to watch TV. The kids were able to find something to keep them appeased. The free breakfast was okay--no eggs or bacon as I was expecting, just waffles, bagels, sweet rolls, fruit, and cereal. I also was told by the front desk that the property has recently changed ownership and they will be renovating the rooms soon. They seemed fine to me, although my husband noted some water damage to the carpet. And if you like that kind of thing, I guess soon they will be putting in big-screen TV's, although honestly I don't see why that's ever a big draw for anyone. But if you need a clean and safe place to stay for a night or two, the Picadilly is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feed back. We have indeed under new ownership and many postive changes are happening. Upgrading our breakfast is one of those changes, and we are currently painting the exterior of the property and will be upgrading bathrooms, Television's and TV channels. If your back in the Fresno area in the next couple months, I hope you stay with us again and experience the many changes that are happening.
Anaheim Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past decade. It was originally very nice and well kept. Lately it has declined steadily. My last stay was two weeks ago. The first morning I had to leave very early and personally asked the front desk manager to have my room cleaned first thing because I was going to return later that morning. When I came back, housekeeping had been cleaning rooms for two hours but my room had not been touched. The front office blamed housekeeping and vice versa. The ice machine near my room was out of order and there was no other machine closer. I had to walk all the way to the office to get ice--it was 109 degrees that day. The telephones in my room kept malfunctioning and even afer the engineer attempted to fix things the phone service was intermittent at best. I had to use my cell to contact the front office. In fairness, they did offer to move me but I had too much stuff to move, I just used my own phone. I tried to wash some clothes and noticed that there is one washer and one drier for the entire facility! There was no soap or fabric softener in the wash room or the adjoining vending machine. When I asked about this at the office, the clerk told me that the vending company refused to discuss it with them. My question was, "Who is working for whom?" Can you not work out some other way to help your guests? Wow! Another guest, also waiting for ice, was equally displeased and made the comment that I was thinking...."Now I know why it's just $84 a night!"

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the valuable feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I apologize that our staff did not take responsibility for the mishap with your room cleaning request and that your phone in the room did not work properly. I am glad to hear that my staff did offer to move your room, what we didn't do is to let you know is that we do offer soaps at the front desk for the guest laundry room. I am happy to say that all ice machines are all in working condition and we are under new ownership and are currently undergoing some renovations property wide. We hope that if you are ever back in the Fresno area that you stay with us again and let us met your expectations during your next stay.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed at the Piccadilly Shaw for business and found it to be pleasant with helpful staff. The grounds are very well maintained, as have been noted by others, and the pool was a welcome sight on a 95 degree day. The whole hotel might benefit from a face lift, as the compound felt like a time warp to the mid 1980's. The walls were a little thin and the bathroom fixtures could use an upgrade. Nevertheless, the room was clean, appropriately climate controlled, and at a good price. There is not a lot within walking distance in terms of restaurants and attractions, but this is a common problem in a car-centered city like Fresno.

Room Tip: Rooms further from the road will obviously have less noise, as will corner units.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am happy to hear that we met your expections during your stay with us. We are currently under new ownership and are happy to say that we are indeed refreshing the property, from exterior paint to new Television's, improved channels, bathroom upgrades and many more upgrades property wide. If you find yourself back in the Fresno area, please stay with us again and see the changes that have been made.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We recently traveled to Kings Canyon National Park and needed a place to stay overnight. We arrived late and left early the next morning. The staff was very accommodating especially considering we called at the last minute. While the hotel needs some updating and the cleaning could be more thorough, overall it was fairly clean and the beds were comfortable. It was very quiet and we were able to get a good nights rest and have hot showers in the morning.
The WiFi was a nice plus. The cable wasn't great but we weren't there to watch TV anyway.
Location was fantastic. It's near a very nice shopping center (Fig Garden Village) that had a Whole Foods and some great restaurants.
We usually stay at the standard chain hotels when we travel to somewhere we aren't familiar with but if we had to stay in Fresno again, we would stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments. I am sorry to hear that your room was not up to our regular cleaning standards. Customer service is what we pride ourselves on as well as offering a comfortable clean room, I am happy that our staff took care of you during your visit. We look forward to your next stay.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My father, mother & I stayed at this hotel on May 24,2012 - checked out May 27, 2012. This was our very 1st visit to Fresno, Ca. We came from Texas as a surprise for my Uncle's Wedding. This hotel was recommended by a family member because it is located across the street from Pardini's, which is where my Uncle's wedding took place.
We stayed in the Augusta Building and although the rooms were spacious they were really out-dated. We could have did without the spider webbs & spiders. The top surface of the rooms were clean. But I dropped my earring & looked for it under the bed, well that's when I discovered all the spider-Webbs.
The t.v., only has a few channels they call cable, Not!!! My Dad is a major sports & movies person. He had to leave everyday & go visit with my cousin just to watch real cable television. Which was very inconvenience to my handicap father. Somedays he just wanted to hang in the room while me & my mom went shopping around.
The bathroom....OMG!!! It took us 1 hour each just to take a shower, due to the Hot Water Running slower than my 90 year old Grandmother walks. The tub was not something I would sit in to take a bath, it had rust & stained dirt spots. We can not forget about the spiders & their webbs in the bathroom as well....
The beds were so hard felt as if I was sleeping on a pile of bricks. Didn't make for a good night sleep.

Now, I will say the maid staff was super super nice, the breakfast was really good & the location was great.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back were the Augusta Building is located is out-dated.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your valued comments. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. We clearly were not up to our usualy standards. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and that our staff was friendly and helpful. We have made improvements and changes in our housekeeping standards and Television ,channel options and mattresses are something that is part of our upgrading process. We hope if your ever back in Fresno, that you give us another opportunity to show you all our changes and improvements.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was comfortable. The room was clean. Management was accommodative in giving us an extra night even though they were heavily booked for the weekend. Did not get a chance to try the pool or jacuzzi it was a busy weekend, hardly stayed in the room. The television remote did not work, but the wifi I used open my iPad made it up, I hardly watch tv.it was quiet. Its not the ritz or Boston but it was okay for the price. But if you want luxury this is not the place for you. I have stayed in plush places and not even sure you can find a place like that in Fresno. Personally I love. Hotels that spend time on the little things like featherdown comforters and dainty toiletries in the bathroom. I did use the coffee maker and it worked fine. We had a problem with the door locking which we reported to management luckily nothing was stolen.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your valued comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry that your locks were not working, guest safety, and securing valueables are one of our highest priorities. Thank you again for reporting the incident to our staff.

Been to Piccadilly Inn Shaw? Share your experiences!