“Honest observations from a regular” 4 of 5 stars

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2305 W. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93711   |
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Rancho Cordova, California
“Honest observations from a regular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This property seems to get mixed reviews. Some people love it. Others hate it. I am in the love it category. I have been staying here on a regular basis since about 2005. It is an older hotel and while all the rooms are sizable, they are not equal in decor. My guess is most of the negative comments have come from guests who have stayed in the main two story building. Last time I stayed in one of those rooms the decor was still a little dated. I usually stay in one of the bungalows in the southwest corner of the property. Those rooms were redecorated a few years ago and suit me just fine. I love the park like setting of this hotel. I enjoy seeing the squirrels frolicking around as I walk to breakfast in the morning. I also enjoy my evenings hanging out at Oliver's Pub. The bar staff is really friendly and I love their steak sandwich. The fish and chips is a home run as well. If you want something light,because you over did it on the free happy hour snacks, the soups are an excellent choice. The pub is a popular hangout for some locals that live in the neighborhood which speaks well for a hotel bar. I often stay at Hilton or Marriott branded properties when I am on the road. While I like them, I find them very predictable. I have always enjoyed the unique nature of the Piccadilly West Shaw. It is one of a kind and when I am here, I know I am in Fresno.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Not the newest rooms.
Not the Las Vegas Hilton.
But...
Great beds.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We arrived at the Piccadilly Inn Shaw on a Saturday night having really struggled to find anywhere to stay in Fresno- not that other hotels were full, more that they were not very nice (in fact I'd probably advise you to give Fresno a miss altogether.) It was a relief to finally arrive at the Piccadilly Inn Shaw. We booked a nice, cheap, functional, double room, in the Yorkshire block, went for a swim and cleaned our clothes (boring? yes, necessary? yes) then went for a drink and something to eat.

The room was nice and big- exactly what we needed! Drinks were great, but the food was at best fair, and portions were absolutely gargantuan-- much too big for our small British stomachs!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My room was in one of the bungalos all the way in the back and I was pretty scared at first to be back that far by myself, but the room was GREAT! I loved the fact that I asked for a non smoking room and that's exactly what I received, there wasn't even smoke in the hallways! The bed was comfortable and clean and the room didn't smell.The only downside was that my radio/cdplayer didn't work in my room and the lights of the pathway outside weren't bright enough and one of them was out, which is bad as there are so many bushes around. Overall, I absolutely loved it and would definitely stay at the Picadilly Inn on my next trip to Fresno.

Room Tip: ASk for what you want
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011 via mobile

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Reception was really helpful and restaurant waitress was very good and went out of her way so with the kids-even changed the tv channel to suit them. Steak was cooked perfectly too. Rooms very spacious and good comfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2011
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I found this hotel a refreshing change from the newer "cookie cutter" chain properties. The hotel contains a number of one- and two-story buildings set in a park-like setting on spacious, well-maintained grounds. Our room was spacious, and nicely decorated. Room was clean. Windows open. Most rooms (including ours) are in buildings set back from the street, so there was no traffic noise. The hotel has a restaurant and bar, but it was closed on Sunday nights when we were there. There is an Italian restaurant 1/2 block away. A minimal continental breakfast is included in the room rate.

• Stayed December 2010
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010 via mobile

Was playing in a tennis tournament in Fresno, so I checked in on 12/3/10 for two nights with my wife, 4-year-old son, and 8-month-old daughter. The person at the front desk informed me that not only was the hot tub out of commission, but the pool was outdoor and unheated, which was disappointing. When I walked into my room, it was ice cold, as if the window was left open. We tried using the heating unit to heat the room, but it was so loud, even on its lowest setting, that we has to turn it off during the night so we could sleep. The carpet seemed old and dirty, so we did not feel comfortable letting our baby crawl on the floor. On the second day of our stay, the hotel called our room at 8:30 am, before I was up, to inform us we would have no hot water for the next three hours. As it turns out, we have had no water at all in our room, such that we had to walk to the lobby so that my son could poop. As I type this message, water has still not been restored to our room. I will never stay at this hotel again. Next time I will stay at the Marriott, which others on my tennis team wisely chose.

• Stayed December 2010

Been to Piccadilly Inn Shaw? Share your experiences!