“Good for a pit-stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Pasadena, California
“Good for a pit-stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here enroute between Berkeley and Kings Canyon. It's a lovely new hotel with plenty of parking and a comfortable room. We had cocktails and food at the restaurant thing and it was cheap and edible. Sitting outside our room drinking cocktails with the whole courtyard to ourselves, we felt pretty happy with our choice. Starbucks-type coffee in the morning was also welcome.

That said, we found the staff helpful but somewhat clueless. On checking in, the receptionist congratulated us on reaching 'gold' Marriott status (whatever), then proceeded to put us in almost the worst room in the (essentially empty) hotel - opposite the ice-dispenser and a few steps to the door to the outside and the elevator. Thankfully we could use the A/C fan to drown out most of the noise. Our credit card was charged before checkout, even though we'd asked to put the bill on our debit card. Staff at the restaurant in the evening were largely absent.

Also you can't get free breakfast with 'gold' status here.

Apart from that, we'd probably stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Bakersfield, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is pretty much your standard hotel. We had a balcony, but fresno doesn't offer any views, so there wasn't a need for it. We stayed in a king with a pull out sofa bed. I like that combo. Theres a little boutique in the lobby that serves some cocktails and food, although I didn't try it. It seemed unmanned while I was down there and I didn't try to get any one there either. By the look and size of it, it reminded me of a quick stop kind of place in an airport. The booths had individual tvs though which was pretty cool. The lady at the front desk did "sneak" my children's easter baskets into the room before we entered it, which was really nice.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. We regret the experience you had you classified as basic and offer our sincere apology. Our goal is to exceed our guest’s expectations and it appears we fell short with your stay.

Again thanks for taking the time to “tell it like it was” for it is through comments such as yours that we are able to continuously work to exceed our guests’ expectations. If in the future I can be of any assistance to you in your travels back to the Fresno Area, please let me know.

All the best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is in very good condition, though I do not know if that is because it is newly built or recently refurbished. The rooms are exactly what you would expect for a Courtyard. Although the hotel location was good for my needs because it is close to the interstate and near several good restaurants, it is not in a part of town where I would bring my family for a vacation. The balcony in my room overlooked a dirt lot surrounded by chain link fence. On the other side of the dirt lot, the back of a strip mall was visible.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor as they have sliding glass doors that open on to the parking lot. T...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I am happy to hear the hotel met your needs as a business traveler. I am sorry to hear you were unsure about the area where the hotel is located. Though off the beaten the area is very safe.

Again thanks for taking the time to “tell it like it was” for it is through comments such as yours that we are able to continuously work to exceed our guests’ expectations. If in the future I can be of any assistance to you in your travels, please let me know so I can personally oversee those arrangements.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Passing through Fresno, the choices of decent hotels are a little thin on the ground so I decided upon a dependable chain. The Courtyard is moderately easy to find, just off the side of highway 41. The hotel is a little exposed as there is not much immediately around it. Parking is free and plentiful, it may be a cynical of me but it doesn't feel the most secure. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a car break in, this is just my opinion and nothing happened during my stay to create this view, just from my experiences of hotel car parks in the USA and observations of the location so I kept any valuables left hidden in the car.

Inside the hotel has had the renovations that all Courtyards have gone through with red/orange colours, this was reflected in the hotel room as well. When we arrived the place was pretty quiet with no one in the lobby/lounge area. Check in staff were friendly, quick but not memorable. We were up on the 1st (U.S 2nd) floor with a room looking out onto the pool area, In summer this would be a nice place to relax in the evening but as I was there for one night I didn't use it.

Rooms were well sized but nothing spectacular, a decent sized bed which was comfortable. The bed looked out onto the window so the TV was at a slight odd angle, whilst this isn't a big problem if your sat or lying in bed you find yourself looking at a slightly unnatural position which over time niggles. The bathroom/ sink was separate and although it looks a little dated it did the job more than adequately.

At the time I was actually quite ill and had a fever, because of this and the fact that there is little to close by (plenty of food both restaurant and grocery options within a 5 minute drive) we got a pizza delivery, which unlike some hotels was delivered to our room door, some places I stayed insist on you walking down to reception so that was a big plus. It also has its own food options but when we stayed it was closed, if it had been open we may well of tried it.

Overall this place is what it is and what you expect from Courtyard, it's clean, comfortable well placed in Fresno, whilst the staff aren't the most memorable they do there job more than adequately. The main negative is that everything is a 5 minute drive away, which is not bad by U.S standards but annoying if you have driven all day and this is problem they have no control over, to me it does the Courtyard brand justice. It didn't have any X factor to bowl me over but If I was in Fresno I would stay again and you cant really go wrong by choosing to stay there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Fresno Courtyard. We appreciate you took the time to let us know about your experience and we embrace all guest feedback.
Again thanks for taking the time to “tell it like it was” for it is through comments such as yours that we are able to continuously work to exceed our guests’ expectations. If in the future I can be of any assistance to you in your travels to the Fresno area, please let me know.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The room was quite spacious and had a couch. It was rather generic, but the bed was very comfortable. The room overlooked a pool which was in the courtyard. Breakfast was not included but there was a small cafe in the lobby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Fresno Courtyard by Marriott. My team and I appreciate the feedback as it helps us to continually learn and sharpen our skills.

Calabasas, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is in great condition and easy to access off 41, though the turn is quick when exiting and the hotel sits far off Shaw Ave. so it is easy to miss. Cheesecake Factory is very close and numerous other restaurants are within five minutes drive. Staff is very friendly and sleep quality was good. Its a nice hotel and typical for the brand though I was disappointed in the internet speed and the exercise facility. I had to quit trying to work or do email because the response time was incredibly slow. Painfully slow unlike any hotel I've visited in years. I'm thinking it was a fluke because I've stayed here before and don't recall having an issue. As for the exercise facility, I'm a runner and tend to do this on the treadmill rather than outdoors. The exercise facility was crowded at 6:00 on my first night and there are only two treadmills so I had to wait. You are also staring at a wall when you run. Mirrors would help and not cost much. (I'm too tall to use the small TV screens on the machines.) I'm going to have to try a different Marriott property (I'm loyal to Marriott) on my next trip because I thought the price was too much for what you get.

Green Features: I didn't notice anything more than the usual request to put towels on the floor if you want them cleaned.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your review. We regret the experience you had with our internet and exercise room were not up to par and offer our sincere apology. We have contacted our internet provider to ensure our speed where it should be and we will also be adding a treadmill to our exercise room in 2014.

All the best,

Geneseo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Another great Courtyard. Check in was courteous, professional and friendly. Hotel in very nice area right off 41, but easy to miss road it is on right after getting off 41. First room had malfunctioning thermostat which we noticed right away, and was looked at while we ate a very nice meal at the Bistro. We were given choice of waiting for it to be repaired or to room right next to it, which we chose since we had not unpacked yet. All handled very nicely and professionally. Room was immaculate and comfortable and had great beds. Highly recommend to anyone in Fresno area and would definitely stay here again if in the area!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
juleemay, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fresno, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate that you choose to stay here at the Courtyard by Marriott Fresno. I want you to know that we appreciate your feedback and look forward to sharing this information with our staff. We know you have choices when you travel and hope that if you do return to Fresno area, you will once again consider staying at our property.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Fresno? Share your experiences!