“Ovidio Italian Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Fresno, CA
“Ovidio Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have been going to Ovidio [the sign outside says "Ovidio," not "Ovidio's"] since they opened in the late 1980's. I have always considered them to have the best Italian food I have eaten anywhere, other than, perhaps, Italy. What is interesting is that most of the Italian restaurant owners in the Fresno area are all related and serve much the same menu. Ovidio's owners, Frank and Virginia, however, offer a wider range of dishes not seen in the other establishments. Items such as their garlic cheese bread are prepared much the same, but they use better quality bread and ingredients, in my opinion. We always order this bread early in the ordering process to have it come out piping hot with our salads.

Last night, my wife had the tortellini con prosciutto and I had the buccatini carbonara. Please forgive my spelling. I am writing this from memory without notes. Both dishes were excellent. The service by Rocco was also excellent. My wife experiments more with the various dishes when we go to Ovidio. I usually stick with the tried and true dish I had, but, occasionally I have a cheese filled tortellini dish with white sauce.

What amazes me is that Ovidio has maintained a high level of food quality and service over all this time and still remains my favorite Italian restaurant anywhere. That is due to Frank running the kitchen with a watchful eye on everything. Anytime I eat Italian anywhere in the United States, I gauge the food and service to that of Ovidio. The atmosphere is very nicely done and is "homey" in the small neighborhood eatery sense. They do not use the red and white checkered table clothes with candles in Chianti bottles like so many place do. The tables have nice, subdued linens with little flower accents. The wine list is a good one for the size of the restaurant; certainly much better than any other Italian restaurant I have visited in the area. The wine glasses are of ample size and filled appropriately.

If you desire to hold a small party, they have a nice room next door to the restaurant proper with a full service bar [holds approximately 20, I believe]. All in all, a great place to go. We only regret that we live all the way across town [Fresno is 500,000 and Clovis where live is 100,000], and don't get there as much as we would like.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Visited Restaurant Week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Three of us went to Ovidio's during restaurant week. i was the only one to order from the restaurant week menu, since they changed what they were offering from their website. The other two parties did not any of the choices left on the restaurant week menu, so they ordered from the regular menu. I had chicken medallions in a wine sauce, with mixed vegetables and pasta. One person had chicken parmigiana and the other had a white pizza. The food was good, service was quick and prices were reasonable. No complaints.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California
“banquet service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I just had my retirement luncheon for 50 people at Ovidio's. All 3 entrees were tasty and the portions were generous. Rocco gave us a choice of 3 entrees: lasagna, eggplant, and pasta in alfredo sauce with chicken/vegetables. The entree included regular green salad, bread and ice tea. It was nice having our own room with the bar easily accessible. My co workers were so impressed that several of them suggested having the Christmas party there.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California, United States
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were there with a group of 6 at the back of the room. The room was freezing, and we asked if the fans could be turned down, the reply from the waitress was that it would be hot as hades if she turned it off "that's what sucks about being a small place" is what she said. My minestrone soup was served cold, and consisted of clear broth, cabbage, a few carrots and potatoes.They replaced it with a warm soup, but it was terrible! When I told the waitress that it didn't taste good and that it wasn't actually minestrone, I was told that's how they make it there. Apparently it's an Irish/Italian place... I expect that soup served with corned beef and a Guinness! Melon and prosciutto was not available because it isn't melon season, but we were served caprese salad with out of season tomatoes. I will not return. So not worth the prices!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California
“Great Local Family Owned Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This has be a fine Italian food restaurant for many years. It has be operated by Frank P. and his family since it was opened. They have added a bar and entertainment for everyone's pleasure.

• Visited November 2012