“Good, solid Japanese” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Madera, California
“Good, solid Japanese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The interior decor doesn't quite live up to the entry way, however Takumi isn't about cutting edge decor. What it is about is good solid Japanese fare. The menu offers no surprises, nor does it stray from the basics of Japanese food in CA. But, the sushi and sashimi are fresh and well prepared. During our recent visit the Smoked Squid salad was exceptional and their Rose Red roll presented a jolt of smoked eel before finishing butter smooth. A good value for the quality, attentive service and comfortable seating.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Sushi, Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you are looking for great sushi and service, you don't need to look any further. We went to California for vacation and found Takumi where our hotel was near there. Because my wife's birthday, I wanted to take her to some great sushi place.
We asked for sushi-bar and ordered several sushi and rolls. Our first order "Hirame" came and we both could not help how good they were so we ordered again. rolls were great too and sushi-man's customer service was outstanding. So friendly! If you want to enjoy great sushi and great service, Takumi is the place. We wish we live close so we can come back often..

• Visited October 2012
Fresno, California
“A fun night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went to celebrate and Tony was our chef. He was so entertaining and funny. The food was cooked exactly as requested. Definitely our new fun place.

• Visited October 2012
Fresno, California
“Great Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I've never had a bad experience here and we used to go lots before we moved away. The sushi is always fresh tasting - we like the Rainbow Roll, the Angel Hair Roll, and my all time favorite Rock Star Roll (a little spicy)! Last time we went was a few days ago - two employees were in the front area (where the koi pond is) feeding the fish. When I pointed it out to my boys, they asked if they'd like to feed them too! Our waitress was attentive and service was timely. NOTE: They close between lunch and dinner (except on Sundays I think) so time your trip accordingly. It's totally worth it!

• Visited July 2012
Madera, California
“Great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

When we want great sushi in the Central Valley we go to Takumi. This trip was for Father's Day so those who wanted sushi were outnumbered by those who did not care for it. I prefer to sit at the sushi bar, but we did Teppanyaki, that way I could order my sushi and everybody else got a good show (even teh 1 year old was fascinated.) The restaurant was rather busy, but our server was friendly (no problem with separate checks) and the chef was very funny. The only problems we encountered were 1) we had to wait for the chef to come to our table for a few minutes but most of us didn't mind because we were eatting soup, salad, and appetizers) and 2) they were out of baked green mussels but didn't say anything until I asked about where my order was. I ordered my favorite sushi rolls: red dragon roll and rockstar roll (each one would be enough food for a meal). The sushi is always consistently good and when transported properly for leftovers make a great second meal. If you have a large group there is an automatic 18% gratuity added.

• Visited June 2012