“A bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Middlewich
“A bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Six of us arrived early evening following a 9 hour drive - the 2 rooms we'd booked stank to high heaven. It had been a very hot day and management had not seen fit to turn the air-conditioning on. It was the following morning before the temperature was something resembling an acceptable level.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My mom and i were between homes and needed a hotel to stay at for the week until our new home was ready. We stayed at the Rodeway Inn on Blackstone Ave, and from the second we walked in the door there were tiny little bugs coming out from everywhere, even the clock and phone. We didnt know what they were at first and it was late so we decided to just watch some tv & fall asleep. Within an hour, there were giant bugs coming from the matress and climbing on the wall. Of the thousands of bugs, i managed to catch a few with a ziplock bag and then i put them into a little container i had with me. Then we went to the office and the guy did give us a better room since we didnt want to leave beacause it was so late. The next morning my mom and me had bites all over us. I googled bed bugs and sure enough, thats what the bugs were. DONT stay at this motel, unless you love it when your skin crawls and you love being bitten by diseased bigs that lay their eggs into your luggage and you end up having your own home infested. Worst motel ever, its absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Can't say enough positive things about the management. Hotel just received some new shower builtins and they were a nice feature. The hotel is trying to spruce up the rooms by including new air conditioning units that are a little tricky. Sometimes the cleaning ladies turn off the new conditioning units and the wall temperature meter doesn't work. Solution: plug in the air conditioner and the temperature unit works again. I will say that the rooms needed new paint jobs as there was debris on the walls of both rooms that I stayed in. A little paint in the right spot would make each room seem brighter and cleaner. Hookers patrolled the street in front of this hotel. They would walk up and down the boulevard waiting for men to come by in their cars and pick them up. However, the hotel is guarded on all sides by an iron gate that does not let in a lot of riff-raff. Try and get a room inside the courtyard as many trucks pass by at night and rumble past just off the property. The closer you are to the freeway the worse the sound becomes. Price of the hotel is definitely a value.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the 99 highway or you will not get any sleep at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
fresno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed 2 weeks in Oct and 2 weeks in Dec. What a great rate, used AARP. The Manager Ms.D and staff were very sharp and friendly, they are a Great crew, they were always smiling. Room was spotless when I arrived and they serviced my room daily. There was pleanty of water pressure and hot water and they provide the shampoo. Wifi worked every day, some better than others-but hey it's wifi not broadband. I didn't try the breakfasts but I got a USA Today everyday for free. I didn't see any homless people and security was great, cameras all over the property. Close to RiverPark shopping center and food services. Try Popolos Pizza across the street, they're great. They do have rooms with and without microwaves, coffee makers and fridges. Oh and they have a laundry room, bring your quarters.
The most fun was watching Steve Joyce on Undercover Boss while I was staying at one of his properties. That was a kick.
And a note to the property-Thanks everyone for the great service!e

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Central Valley CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

First the positive. This establishment seems to have paid some attention to complaints about poor customer service. My friend and I checked in with a nice young man who was friendly and very accommodating. He also tried very hard to connect my laptop with the wireless connection to no avail.
We were told we would be given a 'handicap' room which I learned was just another description for a bigger bathroom with a lot of bars on the walls.
The room was very small especially for 2 people and even more so when those 2 people are women with a lot of stuff!
The tiny desk could only function as a luggage older because even if there were 2 of the folding style holders, there wouldn't be enough room for 2 suitcases. The single chair also became a storage area.
There was no hairdryer
No microwave
No fridge
No coffeemaker
The wireless connection didn't work the first night and was very slow and unpredictable when it did come up. If you need a good connection you probably won't get one here.
On both nights we had to ask for extra towels. The towel rack was only half full on the second night and inadequately stocked the first night.
The hotel is located in a very noisy area. Please keep this in mind. It shares the parking lot with a couple of fast food places that stay open late as well as some other businesses. It is flanked by a very busy city street.
On Friday night in particular the hotel was very noisy on the inside and outside with a lot of yelling, talking loudly and door slamming. Especially after the bars closed. Some of this was in the hotel lot, some coming from the fast food joints.
I have stayed at other hotels with much better amenities for the same price. If you are not a light sleeper and just need a pillow to put your head on, this is for you.
If you are looking to feel rested when you have to get up early and face a long day - you should reconsider.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed the nite of Oct 24, when we found no fridge or coffee maker, returned to
office to be told that would be another 10 dollars!!, which we paid and moved to another
room...noapolgy for inconveniece. The breakfast is the most basic we have ever seen.
Upon check out, no have a good day, thank you for staying with us...just sign here.
The front desk clerk needs to find what Customer Service is all about...how
about a smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

The reason I stayed at this motel was because it was inexpensive and sounded like it was in a good location. I should have done better homework. First of all, this motel is located on a busy street and its parking lot is hard to turn into and out of. There are homeless people with their shopping carts hanging around the fast food joints that share the same parking lot as the motel. There are many signs up on the property warning you to lock your cars and deadbolt lock your rooms. The front desk staff was not friendly when I checked in or checked out. I requested a room on the ground floor, but was given a room on the third floor even though there were lots of vacant rooms at the motel. The front desk clerk did not even tell me where my room was located so I had to wander around the property on my own in order to find my room. The free continental breakfast is a total joke. The whole breakfast consisted of a choice of two types of cereal
plus white bread that can be toasted. They also have coffee, tea and some sort of watery liquid they call orange juice. We opted to eat elsewhere. Next time I will pay a few extra dollars to stay at a Comfort Inn or a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn Fresno? Share your experiences!