“New Hotel, Great value for the money.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Sacramento, California
“New Hotel, Great value for the money.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on Sunday August 12th. This place is like brand new - super clean & the the staff were very helpful & nice.

Right off the freeway. This chain is the most modern in California & represent great value ( includes cooked breakfast )

• Stayed August 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tahlequah, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We used this hotel as our launching point to Yosemite. We stayed here two nights.

We used 10k points to stay here. So we didn't expect much. The hotel was nice. Our room did face a huge junkyard. But our room was relatively quiet and we got a good nights rest here. Breakfast was the usual HIE fare. Internet was free and worked well. Parking was no problem here.

There is a In n Out burger next door. A KFC further out and another burger place. So lots of quick food choices.

The area is suspect. It seems to be over ran with vagrants. In the 2 nights we were there. My 19 y/o son was propositioned by a hooker and had 2 bums ask him for money. I had one guy try to sell me a bike and give him some food money. I'm not sure what the allure of this area is to these type of people. But they are evident around here. I would not be comfortable with a lady I cared about walking around this area unaccompanied. But the hotel did seem free of this.

Room Tip: I asked for a room away from the highway. You could see the highway from the room, but it was not d...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tigard, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

can't really complain about an HIE. The room was up to date and everything worked. Breakfast was adequate for a business traveller (me) and never in danger of running out during my 4 mornings.
Do Not get a room near the north end of the pool as there is an external vent there that will discharge a high pressure tank somewhere in the building and it is LOUD!

Room Tip: nothing near the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SPRING HILL FLORIDA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

As priority club members we booked this room as a rewards night using a scarce 10,000 points.Because of that we expected a dump.What a surprise! The location off highway 99 was convenient and near gas and restaurants.We were upgraded to a quiet,spacious executive suite.Although we arrived late after a run through Yosemite,and departed early the next morning,our stay was comfortable and pleasureable.The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.The breakfast room was brand new and spacious with a huge flat screen TV and the normal HIE breakfast fare.The room was recently upgraded and had two queens AND a sofabed as well as a microwave etc...HIE does it again.As far as I'm concerned,HIE is the best chain for families on a budget and others 'on the fly'.Predictable quality,comfort,friendliness of staff and a decent breakfast in the morning to 'get you going'.The free wifi which we've gotten at all HIEs is a nice perk...and a 'no-brainer' from a management standpoint.Such thoughtful extras just generate more bookings!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The staff here is wonderful. The hotel is newer than many Holiday Inn's I go to and I only stay at holiday innn hotels and travel a lot. So why the average review...there is nothing around this hotel but fast food. The neighborhood is tough someone else said it dont go for a run. Rooms on the freeway side are loud I asked to be move (which they did graciously).

Bottom line is the hotel and staff are GREAT everything else is kinda a mess...

Room Tip: ask for room away from freeway
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manteca, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stay here often when I visit Fresno on business. The staff here is very friendly, and understand that their customers are tired and don't want a lot of hassle. They are quick, professional and seem to always be ready to meet my needs, or answer my questions.

One worry I had was that half of the hotel rooms face the 99 freeway. Special windows and insulation however make these rooms just as quiet as the ones on the other side. No worries. I would rate the breakfast an 8 out of 10 (you can only do so much with a self service meal).

The neighborhood is kind of rough. I would not advise an evening jog. Use the gym on the first floor. Its small, but adequate. Small outdoor pool and spa is on the east side of the hotel away from the freeway noise. Nice, but its a soaking pool only. No lap swimming here. No room service as its an HI express, but several fast food venues surround the hotel (In-n-Out, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's and McDonald's) For my money, its the best value in southern Fresno.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
So Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located next to the SR-99 freeway, however, that comes with a price. I checked in pretty late, past 10pm and was given a room next to the freeway side. The room was spacious, clean, and modern with a nice, big, flat screen TV, comfy bed, and a pretty high-tech A/C control system (took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it too). Loved everything about it except the noise from cars whizzing by in the middle of the night kept me awake. I even wore earplugs and pulled one of the extra pillows over my ears but I can still hear the traffic noise. I admit I am pretty sensitive to noise when I sleep (constant droning from an A/C is okay, but otherwise, I need absolute silence). Anyway, needless to say, I didn't look well rested the next morning so before I went in for breakfast, I asked the front desk person to see if I could get a room on the other side of the hotel, away from the freeway. She was very understanding and was able to give me a room in the morning so I could move my things over before starting the day. The new room looks similar except it had 2 queen instead of a king size bed, no biggie, it was just me anyway. It also had the standard wall unit controlled A/C. Although there were a few times I could hear trains passing by, the rest of the second night was nice and quiet so I got a good night's rest before leaving the city.

I didn't like the hot breakfast the first morning (egg/cheese omelette and sausage, but the second morning had bacon and scrambled eggs so that was better). There were plenty of yogurt, cereal, and breads/rolls to choose from. Also a machine to make fresh pancakes. Always good to start out with a big breakfast and it's good to see that they actually vary the hot items instead of the same exact thing everyday.

I also used their little gym, which was adequate for my needs since I just run on the treadmill. They have one treadmill, one elliptical, and one stationary bike. Towels provided along with a water fountain to keep hydrated. I think there's a pool but I didn't see where it was. Also, their business center seems well stocked although I didn't need to use it. Free wifi included.

I would stay at this hotel again the next time I'm in Fresno but I'll be sure to request for a room that's away from the freeway. My coworker, who had the room next door on the freeway side, slept like a baby though so I guess only noise-sensitive people like myself need to be so choosy.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side opposite the freeway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South? Share your experiences!