“what's not to like” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Tigard, Oregon
“what's not to like”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

can't really complain about an HIE. The room was up to date and everything worked. Breakfast was adequate for a business traveller (me) and never in danger of running out during my 4 mornings.
Do Not get a room near the north end of the pool as there is an external vent there that will discharge a high pressure tank somewhere in the building and it is LOUD!

Room Tip: nothing near the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
SPRING HILL FLORIDA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

As priority club members we booked this room as a rewards night using a scarce 10,000 points.Because of that we expected a dump.What a surprise! The location off highway 99 was convenient and near gas and restaurants.We were upgraded to a quiet,spacious executive suite.Although we arrived late after a run through Yosemite,and departed early the next morning,our stay was comfortable and pleasureable.The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.The breakfast room was brand new and spacious with a huge flat screen TV and the normal HIE breakfast fare.The room was recently upgraded and had two queens AND a sofabed as well as a microwave etc...HIE does it again.As far as I'm concerned,HIE is the best chain for families on a budget and others 'on the fly'.Predictable quality,comfort,friendliness of staff and a decent breakfast in the morning to 'get you going'.The free wifi which we've gotten at all HIEs is a nice perk...and a 'no-brainer' from a management standpoint.Such thoughtful extras just generate more bookings!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The staff here is wonderful. The hotel is newer than many Holiday Inn's I go to and I only stay at holiday innn hotels and travel a lot. So why the average review...there is nothing around this hotel but fast food. The neighborhood is tough someone else said it dont go for a run. Rooms on the freeway side are loud I asked to be move (which they did graciously).

Bottom line is the hotel and staff are GREAT everything else is kinda a mess...

Room Tip: ask for room away from freeway
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manteca, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stay here often when I visit Fresno on business. The staff here is very friendly, and understand that their customers are tired and don't want a lot of hassle. They are quick, professional and seem to always be ready to meet my needs, or answer my questions.

One worry I had was that half of the hotel rooms face the 99 freeway. Special windows and insulation however make these rooms just as quiet as the ones on the other side. No worries. I would rate the breakfast an 8 out of 10 (you can only do so much with a self service meal).

The neighborhood is kind of rough. I would not advise an evening jog. Use the gym on the first floor. Its small, but adequate. Small outdoor pool and spa is on the east side of the hotel away from the freeway noise. Nice, but its a soaking pool only. No lap swimming here. No room service as its an HI express, but several fast food venues surround the hotel (In-n-Out, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's and McDonald's) For my money, its the best value in southern Fresno.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
So Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located next to the SR-99 freeway, however, that comes with a price. I checked in pretty late, past 10pm and was given a room next to the freeway side. The room was spacious, clean, and modern with a nice, big, flat screen TV, comfy bed, and a pretty high-tech A/C control system (took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it too). Loved everything about it except the noise from cars whizzing by in the middle of the night kept me awake. I even wore earplugs and pulled one of the extra pillows over my ears but I can still hear the traffic noise. I admit I am pretty sensitive to noise when I sleep (constant droning from an A/C is okay, but otherwise, I need absolute silence). Anyway, needless to say, I didn't look well rested the next morning so before I went in for breakfast, I asked the front desk person to see if I could get a room on the other side of the hotel, away from the freeway. She was very understanding and was able to give me a room in the morning so I could move my things over before starting the day. The new room looks similar except it had 2 queen instead of a king size bed, no biggie, it was just me anyway. It also had the standard wall unit controlled A/C. Although there were a few times I could hear trains passing by, the rest of the second night was nice and quiet so I got a good night's rest before leaving the city.

I didn't like the hot breakfast the first morning (egg/cheese omelette and sausage, but the second morning had bacon and scrambled eggs so that was better). There were plenty of yogurt, cereal, and breads/rolls to choose from. Also a machine to make fresh pancakes. Always good to start out with a big breakfast and it's good to see that they actually vary the hot items instead of the same exact thing everyday.

I also used their little gym, which was adequate for my needs since I just run on the treadmill. They have one treadmill, one elliptical, and one stationary bike. Towels provided along with a water fountain to keep hydrated. I think there's a pool but I didn't see where it was. Also, their business center seems well stocked although I didn't need to use it. Free wifi included.

I would stay at this hotel again the next time I'm in Fresno but I'll be sure to request for a room that's away from the freeway. My coworker, who had the room next door on the freeway side, slept like a baby though so I guess only noise-sensitive people like myself need to be so choosy.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side opposite the freeway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Right next to state hwy , so if you are a light sleeper request a room opposite the hwy . Easy to get with many fast food eating places all within walking distance . My first time at a hol-inn . It is in the south end of fresno . Now I did not eat breakfast there so cannot review . But the eating area looks nice ! Better than some other hotels I have stayed at . Has a pool , parking is pretty decent and grounds are average . Now the building , grounds & overall appearance is average . Several stories tall . The hallways are appealing & the rooms nice . Clean & well maintained . Nothing stood out , just a decent place to stay for the weary traveler . Beds are good and sleeping on them should be quite comfy . My review is based on 1 stay & first timer to hol-inn . Also a bit pricey for my taste .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Laguna Niguel, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel stay I have ever had in my 14 years of road travel! This hotel is 25 FEET OR LESS from the California State 99 highway. Can you imagine any room in this hotel that can't hear the noise of the State freeway being so close to the traffic??? I thought I could get away with the proximity of the highway but that was such a bad decision. The hotel is new but it has no trees or wall to block the freeway noise. NONE... NOTHING... you get the full brunt of the traffic with each passing car. No matter what rebuttal this hotel has to offer it cannot deny the reality of a less than acceptable night's stay at this hotel. I am a priority club member and booked a king room at the AAA discount rate. What the hotel doesn't tell you is that ALL of their King special rooms face the freeway. So I go up to my room and within minutes, after numerous Mack and Roadking trucks have rumbled by just outside this hotel, I call down to the reception desk to change my room. I am told that I can't change unless I want to pay for an upgrade. I thought that was not fair that I shouldn't have to pay any more money upfront but the front desk was insistent on this policy. I reluctantly decided to take the room so I turn on the fan to try and drown out the noise. Unfortunately the hotel has installed quiet fans barely make any noise while working in the room. No possible way to overpower the constant roar and booming of trucks going back and forth throughout the day and night. DO NOT KID YOURSELF BY ATTEMPTING TO THINK THAT A CHEAPER RATE AT A HOLIDAY EXPRESS WILL OFFSET THE NOISE! I woke up almost every 2 hours to the rumbling and booming wheels of an extremely noisy truck going by... and that's not including the regular agriculture trucks that make constant trips throughout the night. Fresno is the fruit basket of the United States (that is what Fresno's is know for) so the constant noise will never abate as long as farmers need to get their crops to market. So I go down in the morning to express my discomfort and the manager only offers me points for their goof. I reiterated that I felt the room should be comped because I did everything right on my end and I should not have had to suffer through even 1 night of that cacophony (finally get to use this word). Nothing was ever done and I had to take the points or be out of any type of compensation. If you want a decent sleep there are a miriad of other hotels in the area and some really good hotels not on the highway in Fresno (Comfort Suites in Visalia is fantastic and both the Holiday Inn and Courtyard by Marriott are top notch stays for the same price). I wish I had pictures to show you how close to the freeway this hotel is but I forgot to take them with all the back and forth calling and talking I had to do with this hotel. If you have any common sense then STEER AWAY FROM THIS LOGISTIC NIGHTMARE. You won't be sorry that you read my review and changed your mind!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Go to a different hotel for a decent sleep. There are plenty of other great ho...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear omnifox,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South? Share your experiences!