“Friendly staff helped me get a better 2nd night sleep” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
So Cal
“Friendly staff helped me get a better 2nd night sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located next to the SR-99 freeway, however, that comes with a price. I checked in pretty late, past 10pm and was given a room next to the freeway side. The room was spacious, clean, and modern with a nice, big, flat screen TV, comfy bed, and a pretty high-tech A/C control system (took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it too). Loved everything about it except the noise from cars whizzing by in the middle of the night kept me awake. I even wore earplugs and pulled one of the extra pillows over my ears but I can still hear the traffic noise. I admit I am pretty sensitive to noise when I sleep (constant droning from an A/C is okay, but otherwise, I need absolute silence). Anyway, needless to say, I didn't look well rested the next morning so before I went in for breakfast, I asked the front desk person to see if I could get a room on the other side of the hotel, away from the freeway. She was very understanding and was able to give me a room in the morning so I could move my things over before starting the day. The new room looks similar except it had 2 queen instead of a king size bed, no biggie, it was just me anyway. It also had the standard wall unit controlled A/C. Although there were a few times I could hear trains passing by, the rest of the second night was nice and quiet so I got a good night's rest before leaving the city.

I didn't like the hot breakfast the first morning (egg/cheese omelette and sausage, but the second morning had bacon and scrambled eggs so that was better). There were plenty of yogurt, cereal, and breads/rolls to choose from. Also a machine to make fresh pancakes. Always good to start out with a big breakfast and it's good to see that they actually vary the hot items instead of the same exact thing everyday.

I also used their little gym, which was adequate for my needs since I just run on the treadmill. They have one treadmill, one elliptical, and one stationary bike. Towels provided along with a water fountain to keep hydrated. I think there's a pool but I didn't see where it was. Also, their business center seems well stocked although I didn't need to use it. Free wifi included.

I would stay at this hotel again the next time I'm in Fresno but I'll be sure to request for a room that's away from the freeway. My coworker, who had the room next door on the freeway side, slept like a baby though so I guess only noise-sensitive people like myself need to be so choosy.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side opposite the freeway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Right next to state hwy , so if you are a light sleeper request a room opposite the hwy . Easy to get with many fast food eating places all within walking distance . My first time at a hol-inn . It is in the south end of fresno . Now I did not eat breakfast there so cannot review . But the eating area looks nice ! Better than some other hotels I have stayed at . Has a pool , parking is pretty decent and grounds are average . Now the building , grounds & overall appearance is average . Several stories tall . The hallways are appealing & the rooms nice . Clean & well maintained . Nothing stood out , just a decent place to stay for the weary traveler . Beds are good and sleeping on them should be quite comfy . My review is based on 1 stay & first timer to hol-inn . Also a bit pricey for my taste .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Laguna Niguel, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel stay I have ever had in my 14 years of road travel! This hotel is 25 FEET OR LESS from the California State 99 highway. Can you imagine any room in this hotel that can't hear the noise of the State freeway being so close to the traffic??? I thought I could get away with the proximity of the highway but that was such a bad decision. The hotel is new but it has no trees or wall to block the freeway noise. NONE... NOTHING... you get the full brunt of the traffic with each passing car. No matter what rebuttal this hotel has to offer it cannot deny the reality of a less than acceptable night's stay at this hotel. I am a priority club member and booked a king room at the AAA discount rate. What the hotel doesn't tell you is that ALL of their King special rooms face the freeway. So I go up to my room and within minutes, after numerous Mack and Roadking trucks have rumbled by just outside this hotel, I call down to the reception desk to change my room. I am told that I can't change unless I want to pay for an upgrade. I thought that was not fair that I shouldn't have to pay any more money upfront but the front desk was insistent on this policy. I reluctantly decided to take the room so I turn on the fan to try and drown out the noise. Unfortunately the hotel has installed quiet fans barely make any noise while working in the room. No possible way to overpower the constant roar and booming of trucks going back and forth throughout the day and night. DO NOT KID YOURSELF BY ATTEMPTING TO THINK THAT A CHEAPER RATE AT A HOLIDAY EXPRESS WILL OFFSET THE NOISE! I woke up almost every 2 hours to the rumbling and booming wheels of an extremely noisy truck going by... and that's not including the regular agriculture trucks that make constant trips throughout the night. Fresno is the fruit basket of the United States (that is what Fresno's is know for) so the constant noise will never abate as long as farmers need to get their crops to market. So I go down in the morning to express my discomfort and the manager only offers me points for their goof. I reiterated that I felt the room should be comped because I did everything right on my end and I should not have had to suffer through even 1 night of that cacophony (finally get to use this word). Nothing was ever done and I had to take the points or be out of any type of compensation. If you want a decent sleep there are a miriad of other hotels in the area and some really good hotels not on the highway in Fresno (Comfort Suites in Visalia is fantastic and both the Holiday Inn and Courtyard by Marriott are top notch stays for the same price). I wish I had pictures to show you how close to the freeway this hotel is but I forgot to take them with all the back and forth calling and talking I had to do with this hotel. If you have any common sense then STEER AWAY FROM THIS LOGISTIC NIGHTMARE. You won't be sorry that you read my review and changed your mind!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Go to a different hotel for a decent sleep. There are plenty of other great ho...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear omnifox,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

If you're looking for a quick place to stop while traveling on the 99 freeway in California, look no further that this HIE. Very friendly night hotel clerk who was most helpful too.

Very clean hotel and recently remodeled or new everything. Fitness center, pool, jacuzzi etc. was nice and the lobby with flat screen TV and big fireplace nice as well. We stayed in a big room with our three kids (5 total) on a stopover on a trip from Tahoe to San Diego and really had a nice time.

Quick on and off the freeway located right next to an In-N-Out Burger and gas stations etc.

My only issue/complaint would be that since it's right next to the freeway and train tracks, there is noise so bring ear plugs if you want uninterrupted sleep. Maybe a room on the other side of the freeway would have been the way to go, so suggest that of you stay here.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the East side away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Kaur887, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Fresno. We are glad you were able to enjoy some of the amenities that the hotel offers. Please feel free to contact us directly for any questions or concerns.
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

This is a nice and fairly new property, with spacious rooms. The hotel is situated next to Fwy99, with lots of truck traffic, so not the quietest. Plenty of fast food available, but other than Denny's, there's no other restaurants in the area.

Don't stay at this location if you plan to rely on using the business center---nice room, but there is only one computer, which was heavily utilized. Customers are limited to 15 printed pages before incurring additional charges, but their one printer was in operable pending drum replacement. Disappointing overall, especially considering basic technology (and paper) really aren't that expensive these days.

Fitness room was also nice, but once again, they have one bike, one stepper and one treadmill, so you'll have to wait your turn for those as well.

Must say, however, that the employees were super friendly and trying hard with what they have to work with.

Room Tip: In & Out side much quieter than freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Yes, unfortunately we are close to the highway but the ownership has tried their best to keep the noise out with 2 sets of windows on all rooms next to the freeway. However, I definitely agree that some of us are light sleepers than others, so please feel free to request a room away from the freeway and we will try our best to accommodate you.

Also, one of our business center computers quit working but it has been replaced with a brand new computer. There is no longer a limit to number of pages that guests can print in our business center. I have forwarded your comments to the General Manager of the hotel so we can continue to improve our hotel and the service we provide. Please feel free to contact us directly for any questions or concerns.
Chicago Suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is a good choice for a no-frills motel. The rooms are in good shape. Free breakfast is at 6 AM, which is good for early risers like myself. Nothing around the motel except for fast-food. Staff is very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kaur887, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary Hot breakfast. Please free to contact us directly for any questions or concerns. Have a wonderful day!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is a relatively new property, just off the freeway and next to a strip mall with In-n-Out Burger next door. My room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was a good size and sparkling with granite counter top.

The business center was handy and breakfast was good.

It has all of the basics.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts about your experience at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fresno South. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to accommodate you again during your future stays in Fresno. Please feel free to contact us directly for any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno South? Share your experiences!