“Great downtown hotel and a good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2233 Ventura Street, Fresno, CA 93721 (Formerly Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Fresno)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Earn 2x Points
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
San Francisco, California
“Great downtown hotel and a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I travel to Fresno frequently and usually stay up on the north side of town. This place was a nice change - It is a real hotel with a restaurant and bar and nice lobby which is a welcome change in a town with mostly limited service hotels. My room was recently renovated and huge. I had zero issues with noise but I live in a noisy area so maybe I am used to that. I did not need earplugs and slept like a rock. I encountered friendly service overall and enjoyed my stay very much. The lobby bar was great...lots of people socializing or doing some work..friendly bartender and nice convivial atmosphere. I ordered room service and had good food at a reasonable price. My only complaint has nothing to do with the hotel...I gather that Fresno's downtown pretty much dies at night. I wanted to walk around and check out the nightlife but the area is pretty dead. Good thing the hotel is more or less self-contained so you need not go out. Lots of great options in the neighborhood for breakfast and lunch though.

Room Tip: My room was on the south side of the hotel and I didn't notice any train noise.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This is a good quality DoubleTree hotel. The bedding is comfortable and the bathrooms clean with all of the usual amenities. The cookies are always a nice addition, and the coffee shop serves Starbucks. The noise however is extreme from both inside and outside the hotel. I don't think I would have slept without earplugs. There is a very loud train that makes its ways through Fresno all night, honking its horn, and the setup with the open atrium inside the hotel means you can hear the large groups partying in the lobby.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 days ago
We appreciate the feedback and thank you for posting your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. As we've noted in previous responses, the fog this month has been rather thick. The city has required the additional 'noise' from the trains for safety reasons, impacting the whole city. This additional 'noise' should dissipate as the fog does. Thank you for posting your review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The new rooms are very nice, typical Hilton Doubletree standards. And the warm cookies at check in are definitely a plus. Unfortunately the train honks three times at a nearby unprotected intersection, I heard it several times...the last time around 1am. A co-worker who stayed there as well didn't seem bothered by it. So, maybe ask for a quieter room. She was on the 3rd floor and I was on the 7th.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
So glad you enjoyed our DoubleTree Cookie! Regarding the train noise, know that this is not 'typical,' in terms of the frequency of the 'honks.' Fresno has experienced a tremendous amount of fog in the past few weeks. The city has required the additional noise for safety measures. Though all of our windows do have double panes, until the fog clears (hopefully soon!) we do offer complimentary ear plugs (upon request). Additionally, those rooms on the opposite side of the tracks will have less overall disturbance. Know that with the disappearance of the fog... the 'noise' will also return to normal. Thank you for your feedback.
Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Heading up Hwy. 99 after a long weekend in Southern CA, we decided to stop here for the night.

The outside of the building is unremarkable and the area seemed a bit sketchy, but as soon as you walk in the door, you forget that. A three story fountain and hip looking bar are the centerpiece of the hotel.

We stayed in a king suite, and it was equally as beautiful. That is where the beauty ends.

Although the mattress was somewhat comfortable, there were only feather pillows on the bed. Not too big of a deal, since I was awake most of the night listening to the fast and the furious race it out down on the street. None of which really mattered because there are train tracks on both sides of the hotel. Busy train tracks. Not just a train passing through a couple of times at night, but about every 20 minutes roaring through, laying on that horn.

I had to download a white noise app on my phone to somewhat drown it out.

I have stayed in hotels where sounds from outside are an issue and complementary ear plugs and a white noise machine where waiting for us on the nightstand.

Sound reducing windows would also be great. Or at the very least, a warning with our cookie when we check in.

Oh yeah, you get a warm cookie upon arrival.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
First, thank you for choosing the new DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center as your stop over en-route from Southern California. We've worked very hard to provide an upscale, inviting and comfortable environment. Next, please let us apologize for the train noise you experience. You may have noticed fog during your brief visit. There's been quite an issue lately with the abundance of fog in the Fresno area. The result has been that the city has required trains making additional 'noise' for safety reasons. Although all guestrooms are equipped with dual paned windows, we do offer complimentary ear plugs upon request. Though this is a limited time 'issue' we do understand how inconvenient it can be for guests. We are currently evaluating what other measures we can take as a hotel to ensure the comfort of our guests. Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'm a business traveler averaging over 200+ nights a year, the majority of which are spent in Hilton or IHG branded properties throughout California and Nevada.

I just completed my first night's stay at this property after it has now fully converted to the Doubletree brand, having previously been a Radission for many years prior. I frequently stayed at the property during it's Radisson days, not necessarily by choice, but due to the location. The property is located in Downtown Fresno, within walking distance to most of everything downtown, as well as directly across the street from Selland Arena and the entire convention center complex.

In it's Radission days, especially towards the end, the property suffered from antiquated furnishings and lackluster customer service. I was extremely pleased to hear it would convert to a Doubletree, but hoped it would be done the right way. I've stayed at multiple Doubletree properties that newly converted over from Hilton recently (Newark, CA / Pleasanton, CA) with mixed results.

Thankfully, they absolutely nailed this conversion.

This is a multi-story, atrium style building that is identical to a traditional Embassy Suites. When I first pulled up to the building after last having stayed here well over a year ago, I immediately noticed that they had fully painted the outside of the building and installed brand new signage. Walking into the lobby/atrium, I was encouraged that while all of the same central features remained from the Radisson days, a lot has been upgraded and improved on. The central fountain feature in the lobby looks better than ever. All of the flooring and carpeting seems to have been updated and replaced. The front desk attendants were friendly, excited to be a part of the new brand, and did an excellent job with the entire check-in process. I was greeted as a Diamond member and told that not only did they meet my request for a high floor, but had also upgraded me to a suite.

The room was absolutely unrecognizable from the Radisson days. This is the biggest aspect of how a Doubletree will either make it or break it with a brand conversion, and they did an absolutely perfect job with the rooms. Every single aspect of the room was replaced and redone. New walls, new furnishings, new bed, new TV, new bath fixturing, new carpet - everything was replaced, and the replacements are of extremely high quality. I couldn't have been happier with the room.

The property's parking lot, while limited in space (especially if the hotel is sold out or near capacity), is patrolled overnight by security guards. Working in the security industry myself, I know that's a significant expense that costs the property a good amount of money, but it's unfortunately necessary in this area of Fresno and is extremely appreciated.

My only disappointment was room service - while the menu is extensive for a Doubletree, and the attendant was extremely courteous and friendly, I just can't recommend the food. I've never had a Ceasar salad lathered in quite that much dressing and the chicken was questionable, but at least they're doing a great job with the cookies. The restaurant apparently needs some work.

Well done to the property management, and all of the employees who have been a part of the conversion and now represent the Doubletree Brand here - You've done a fantastic job, and it absolutely shows. Highly recommended. This is the only hotel facility I would stay at in Fresno going forward.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your very kind and detailed review. We have worked very hard, as you've noted, in upgrading all areas of our hotel. We couldn't be more pleased that YOU are pleased. Thank you for your recommendation and we do look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center? Share your experiences!