“Look elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fresno Hotel and Conference Center

You added Fresno Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Fresno Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2233 Ventura Street, Fresno, CA 93721 (Formerly Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Fresno)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Business and Leisure Pkgs
Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Cocoa, Florida
“Look elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Upon checking into my room and preparing for bed I looked down and there in plain view next to my bed was a condom wrapper. I eventually shared that experience with the front desk, but they didn't seem to care. This place has allot of work to step up to the standards of a Double Tree, which they are planning to be in the near future. If you have transpiration do your self a favor and stay with a property who has some class and is free of condom wrappers.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We hold ourselves to the highest level of standards and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. The issue you have brought to our attention is 100% unsatisfactory and we can assure you this is an isolated incident. It is our goal to provide a comfortable environment for our guests and we apologize for letting you down. This issue has been addressed with our management staff and corrective measures have been implemented.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed at this hotel for two years in a row and have not been disappointed. We come here every November for a three day conference. The hotel staff are always accommodating and the bell men are very helpful. We be staying at this hotel every November. I would highly recomment this hotel.

Room Tip: All levels are great. There are 8 levels. We have stayed on level 3, two years ago and level 6 jus...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for continuing to choose Fresno Hotel and Conference Center when travelling to Fresno! We do appreciate your recommendation.
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Location: I opted for this hotel becuase it was walking distance to the business I was visting downtown. I'm glad I did. Downtown parking and driving was a little confusing with the one way streets. This way I could drive in, park, and never have to move my car.

Rooms: All entrances are indoor only. The rooms and bathrooms are larger than average, and clean. However, I subtracted a point because I could smell a trace of smoke in my room. I think if smoking is allwed in some rooms, the smoke is going to travel to the non-smoking rooms. The only way to prevent that is to make the hotel entirely non-smoking, which they should do.

About the hotel: It's in the process of conversion to a Double Tree and is in rennovation. Unlike other reviewers, I did not hear much noise from the rennovation during my stay there. Since it's becoming a Double Tree, they are advertising it all over the hotel with a picture of a large chocolat chip cookie that all DoubleTree guests get. Unfortunately, you don't get a cookie until the conversion is official, so you have to look at picture of cookies and not get any. The building is one square, with the rooms surrounding a giant atrium, bar and restaurant on the first floor, and visible all the way to the top floor. It is visually appealing, and I felt very safe there. The website advertises a Starbucks on the first floor, which is misleading. It's not a real Starbucks; just a counter where you can buy Starbucks coffee.

Service: The staff was very pleasant.

Gym: The gym was being rennovated while I was there. It was nice to begin with, but they were putting in a new floor.

Restaurant: Very affordable as far as hotel restaurants go, and the food quality was great. You could order a burger for dinner for around $9 or $10. You can also order Pizza Hut pizza from the bar or at the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid feedback. We truly appreciate the comments as they help us continue to improve our services and amenities, especially as we transition to become a DoubleTree by Hilton.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

I visited the United States recently on a group tour, and we visited Fresno, where we stayed at this hotel for a day. We stayed at this hotel which we found very nice and restful. We had a good stay. Staff were friendly too.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your feedback!
Bellevue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

This hotel and staff have made a huge improvement over just a few months ago. The new focus and upgrading will insure a its role as a\the preferred hotel in Fresno. They should pay some attention to providing a value oriented breakfast program.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Thank you for your kudos... and suggestion. We appreciate and value your feedback!
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

There is not enough room here to express my displeasure with the director of catering and assistant general manager and general manager. Our organization has been having our awards event at this venue since 2005, actually in years before this as well, we did hold for a few years at another venue but the director of catering offered us a good deal to return in 2005. Our event has about 600 attendees and always held in mid-November.
Each year, after our event in November, the director of catering and I exchange emails confirming the date for the next year’s event.
This was done on December 13, 2013 for the November 15, 2014 date. Several emails were exchanged, a walk-thru was performed on June 26, 2014 at 9am, with the director of catering present acknowledging our event for November 15, 2014. He said he was really busy but working on emailing paperwork to me (contract and room blocks). I sent various emails requesting the paperwork. This is his normal operating work practice, he waits until a few months before event to start working on my paperwork. This is very unprofessional but this is how he operates each year with our event so I waited patiently.
However, after several calls and emails requesting the paperwork, I placed a call to his assistant. She informed me that there was already a group booked in the ballroom we normally use for our November 15, 2014 event. Mind you, we advertise this event with over 600 attendees starting in January 2014, as he confirmed this date with me in December 2013 via email.

At this point, I’m very worried. The director of catering calls me back to apologize profusely and says he is sick to his stomach and says he made a huge mistake. Having confidence in him, I trust for him to make this situation right for us since we have been a loyal customer for so many years.

I have emails from him that said he will move and relocate the other group. About a week goes by and I still never hear from him. So on my vacation, I call to confirm and he says he can’t move other group and now he’s working on moving our group, but so far, no other venue is available for our November 15, 2014 date. We already spent money on advertising, etc. since January 2014 as he confirmed my date in December 2013.
I point blank ask him if I am going to be left with an event with 600 attendees on November 15 with no venue. He assured me that would not happen and he promised to assist in relocating and they would cover the costs if I had to pay more at another venue.
I called the general manager. He refused to take my call. So the assistant general manager gets involved, who claims he had no idea of the director of catering’s various mistakes in double booking. Basically, since the director of catering kept putting me off since our walk-thru on June 26, 2014, when I requested paperwork, he said the various emails that the director of catering confirmed my November 15, 2014 date and walk-thru on June 26 do not mean anything. The assistant general manager told me there’s nothing they can do and I do not have the date of November 15 for our event.
They offered a few other dates, with NO discounts or concessions for the director of catering’s series of mistakes and the assistant general manager was rude when he spoke to me and yelled at me like it was my fault. He clearly was not hospitable for being in the hospitality industry. Invitations and marketing materials has been out since January for the specific date of November 15, 2014. He told me to just change my date, like no big deal.
The next day when I called the director of catering to ask for help to relocate, he told me he can’t talk to me anymore and referred me to the assistant general manager.
I had to find a new venue and new date on my own and requested the Fresno Hotel and Conference Center pay the difference as the director of catering promised. I received an email back from assistant general manager saying they would not pay for any difference in costs at another venue.

The general manager refused to even take my call. I will never return to this venue for any event or as a hotel guest.

I understand we are all human and make mistakes and the double-booking could have been an honest mistake, however, it is how you deal in making those mistakes right that shows one’s true character and how customers are valued.
They failed to make this situation right. It shows me they do not value customers, especially loyal customers that have been returning to this venue for years.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Please note that Management has been in direct contact with this guest to resolve the concerns about her group and the miscommunication regarding the dates in question.
Anaheim Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2014

Our STATEWIDE group has been booking meetings - as well as our annual convention - at this hotel for the last three years. THREE YEARS AGO we booked the weekend of Sept 12-13, including the entire Ballroom, for a huge reception at which we expected to have 500 people. Unbeknownst to us, the Nebraska football team would be in town to play against the Fresno Bulldogs. The hotel was overrun with Nebraska fans and they TOOK AWAY ROOMS FROM OUR GROUP TO GIVE TO THEM. While this was rectified 12+ hours later, it caused no small amount of stress for the leaders of our organization, for whom this was *supposed* to have been a happy occasion. Oh, did I forget to mention the fact that they also TOOK AWAY THE BALLROOM until 6pm for a Nebraska reception?? They rationalized it by saying that the other group would be gone before our 7pm start time -- um...when, exactly did they expect us to set up and decorate our tables?? This is just ONE MORE indignity heaped upon us by this hotel. We're going to be moving our meetings and convention to Visalia; at least they appreciate us and all of the $$$$ we spend in their city.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, General Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
(Submitted on behalf of Steve Klein, General Manager)

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the concerns expressed. We have had the honor of providing accommodations to your group for many years and sincerely hope to continue to do so. The challenges your guests experienced during check-in were understandably upsetting. This was an isolated incident due to unforeseen itinerary changes with another group in-house. We were challenged with rebounding with the limited notice and truly apologize that this affected your group in any way.

We understand that your main focus should have been on your event, and we sincerely apologize for the issues that occurred.

Our hope is to re-establish your confidence in the hotel and the exceptional service you and your guests expect.

Sincerest Apologies,
Steve Klein
Fresno Hotel and Conference Center
(soon to be DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center)

Been to Fresno Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!