“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fresno Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Fresno Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Fresno Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2233 Ventura Street, Fresno, CA 93721 (Formerly Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Fresno)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Business and Leisure Pkgs
Ranked #24 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I visited the United States recently on a group tour, and we visited Fresno, where we stayed at this hotel for a day. We stayed at this hotel which we found very nice and restful. We had a good stay. Staff were friendly too.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bellevue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel and staff have made a huge improvement over just a few months ago. The new focus and upgrading will insure a its role as a\the preferred hotel in Fresno. They should pay some attention to providing a value oriented breakfast program.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your kudos... and suggestion. We appreciate and value your feedback!
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There is not enough room here to express my displeasure with the director of catering and assistant general manager and general manager. Our organization has been having our awards event at this venue since 2005, actually in years before this as well, we did hold for a few years at another venue but the director of catering offered us a good deal to return in 2005. Our event has about 600 attendees and always held in mid-November.
Each year, after our event in November, the director of catering and I exchange emails confirming the date for the next year’s event.
This was done on December 13, 2013 for the November 15, 2014 date. Several emails were exchanged, a walk-thru was performed on June 26, 2014 at 9am, with the director of catering present acknowledging our event for November 15, 2014. He said he was really busy but working on emailing paperwork to me (contract and room blocks). I sent various emails requesting the paperwork. This is his normal operating work practice, he waits until a few months before event to start working on my paperwork. This is very unprofessional but this is how he operates each year with our event so I waited patiently.
However, after several calls and emails requesting the paperwork, I placed a call to his assistant. She informed me that there was already a group booked in the ballroom we normally use for our November 15, 2014 event. Mind you, we advertise this event with over 600 attendees starting in January 2014, as he confirmed this date with me in December 2013 via email.

At this point, I’m very worried. The director of catering calls me back to apologize profusely and says he is sick to his stomach and says he made a huge mistake. Having confidence in him, I trust for him to make this situation right for us since we have been a loyal customer for so many years.

I have emails from him that said he will move and relocate the other group. About a week goes by and I still never hear from him. So on my vacation, I call to confirm and he says he can’t move other group and now he’s working on moving our group, but so far, no other venue is available for our November 15, 2014 date. We already spent money on advertising, etc. since January 2014 as he confirmed my date in December 2013.
I point blank ask him if I am going to be left with an event with 600 attendees on November 15 with no venue. He assured me that would not happen and he promised to assist in relocating and they would cover the costs if I had to pay more at another venue.
I called the general manager. He refused to take my call. So the assistant general manager gets involved, who claims he had no idea of the director of catering’s various mistakes in double booking. Basically, since the director of catering kept putting me off since our walk-thru on June 26, 2014, when I requested paperwork, he said the various emails that the director of catering confirmed my November 15, 2014 date and walk-thru on June 26 do not mean anything. The assistant general manager told me there’s nothing they can do and I do not have the date of November 15 for our event.
They offered a few other dates, with NO discounts or concessions for the director of catering’s series of mistakes and the assistant general manager was rude when he spoke to me and yelled at me like it was my fault. He clearly was not hospitable for being in the hospitality industry. Invitations and marketing materials has been out since January for the specific date of November 15, 2014. He told me to just change my date, like no big deal.
The next day when I called the director of catering to ask for help to relocate, he told me he can’t talk to me anymore and referred me to the assistant general manager.
I had to find a new venue and new date on my own and requested the Fresno Hotel and Conference Center pay the difference as the director of catering promised. I received an email back from assistant general manager saying they would not pay for any difference in costs at another venue.

The general manager refused to even take my call. I will never return to this venue for any event or as a hotel guest.

I understand we are all human and make mistakes and the double-booking could have been an honest mistake, however, it is how you deal in making those mistakes right that shows one’s true character and how customers are valued.
They failed to make this situation right. It shows me they do not value customers, especially loyal customers that have been returning to this venue for years.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Anaheim Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our STATEWIDE group has been booking meetings - as well as our annual convention - at this hotel for the last three years. THREE YEARS AGO we booked the weekend of Sept 12-13, including the entire Ballroom, for a huge reception at which we expected to have 500 people. Unbeknownst to us, the Nebraska football team would be in town to play against the Fresno Bulldogs. The hotel was overrun with Nebraska fans and they TOOK AWAY ROOMS FROM OUR GROUP TO GIVE TO THEM. While this was rectified 12+ hours later, it caused no small amount of stress for the leaders of our organization, for whom this was *supposed* to have been a happy occasion. Oh, did I forget to mention the fact that they also TOOK AWAY THE BALLROOM until 6pm for a Nebraska reception?? They rationalized it by saying that the other group would be gone before our 7pm start time -- um...when, exactly did they expect us to set up and decorate our tables?? This is just ONE MORE indignity heaped upon us by this hotel. We're going to be moving our meetings and convention to Visalia; at least they appreciate us and all of the $$$$ we spend in their city.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, General Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
(Submitted on behalf of Steve Klein, General Manager)

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the concerns expressed. We have had the honor of providing accommodations to your group for many years and sincerely hope to continue to do so. The challenges your guests experienced during check-in were understandably upsetting. This was an isolated incident due to unforeseen itinerary changes with another group in-house. We were challenged with rebounding with the limited notice and truly apologize that this affected your group in any way.

We understand that your main focus should have been on your event, and we sincerely apologize for the issues that occurred.

Our hope is to re-establish your confidence in the hotel and the exceptional service you and your guests expect.

Sincerest Apologies,
Steve Klein
Fresno Hotel and Conference Center
(soon to be DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center)
Lancaster, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

My Co-worker and I were guest speakers for a conference that our schools were holding in the hotel. Our schools rented almost all of the conference rooms and halls. When we check in on the afternoon of August 12, 2014, we were asked for our personal credit cards. My colleague and I explained that our schools have booked a block of rooms and conference halls in the hotel and we should have a credit card on file. The front counter person whose "Kai" flatly said "well, then you can's stay here then!" and his manager Ryan who was standing next to him let out am insulting snicker. Instead of checking and contacting the person who booked the rooms (which most professional hotel customer service employee should do), they just insulted us. I have to make the phone call myself and gave my phone to Ryan.
When we walked in our separate rooms, the room smelled like rotten food. I came back to Ryan and asked to be transferred to another room. When I got to my new room , I noticed that the air filter grill inside the closet was open and when I opened it up, i saw the filty air filter in it. I took a picture as an evidence of how badly maintained this hotel really is. In my exhaustion from all-day travel, i had no choice but sleep in the room.
I will forward this experience to DoubleTree Hilton that is suppose to take over this hotel next year.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Our goal is for guests to be completely satisfied during their stay. As a rule, we do everything we can to not only meet, but exceed guest expectations. Things happen at times, however, that are beyond hotel control. In this case, we needed to gain approval from the company to incur additional charges (over and above the Room and Tax that had been pre-approved). It is absolutely not acceptable for any employee to tell a guest that they 'can't stay here'... and though this was not stated directly, we certainly apologize if this is how you felt. It was definitely not our intention. We do follow up with each guest after check-in to verify they are happy with their accommodations and if there is anything further we can do to make them more comfortable.

We do truly appreciate guest feedback as it helps us, as management, to know where to focus our time, energy and resources to continue improving guest experience.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

This hotel was clean and spacious. I would have liked the front desk to have told us that we needed to pay for the breakfast which they mistakenly told us was included. It was not. That was an expensive and mediocre breakfast by far! Had I known I would not have gone for it. The rooms were clean, service good enough.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the higher floors. the rooms were undergoing renovations so it was a bit noisy but...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Fresno Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 9, 2014
We appreciate your feedback and will ensure our front desk team communicates inclusions properly. Thank you for your post.
Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Great location for the event we were in town for. Although the hotel is older, the rooms are still well maintained and clean. Housekeepers are the rock stars of that hotel! There was construction going on and the noise only bothered us one out of the three mornings we were there. We were told at check in about the construction, so the noise was expected. The staff was accommodating and pleasant. The onside restaurant was very good and priced well for a hotel. Bar staff were friendly. I only wish the gift shop was open while were there. Overall, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Been to Fresno Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!