“Best Chinese Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
visalia, ca
“Best Chinese Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Two locations in Fresno and both are excellent. Wonderful service and exquisite food. The Butter Cream Prawns are favorites. I have not had anything on the menu that wasn't just great.

Madera, California
“Great and not expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place has been in Fresno for years but the city moved north and new places seemed easier to get to. My friend and I went back after reading the Hunan had been redone and was expanding.

We chose the original location at Cedar and Herdon { it is at the end of a nook next door to the furniture store} It is small by some standards with a limited menu at lunch but the quality is excellent. I had their signature Spicy Shrimp and my friend the Mongolian Beef. Both were beyond good.

This is now our only place to eat Chinese in Fresno.

Oakland,ca
“Good Chinese food in Fresno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was in Fresno on a business trip. I decided on Hunan Restaurant based on local online reviews. I got the Hunan Beef, steamed rice, and pot stickers to go. The food was very good. The beef was very flavorful and the pot stickers were great. At $22 the bill seemed kind if high. There was enough food for two meals, so maybe that isn't too bad.

The person who took my order had zero personality and didn't seem to realize he was in hospitality industry. I am not sure if this was a one off situation or if it is indicative of the service provided to diners in the restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, California
“One of Fresno's Best Hidden Gems”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The original "Hunan" on Cedar is less expensive and less formal (environment) than the Clovis one.

The food is excellent and prices reasonable, though you could get much cheaper Chinese food anywhere else.

• Visited January 2013
Clovis, California
“VERY DISAPPOOINTED.Will not go back again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Reservations for 6 last night. Not too crowded at 6 pm. Ordered green onion pancakes and pot stickers for appetizers. Waitress came back and said chef did not have time to make the pancakes so they did not have them. Ordered a new shrimp appetizer instead. She came back and said they did not have that either. I went down the appetizer list and to each suggestion she said they did not have them. Finally I said tell me what you DO have and I will chose from that.. Ended up with pot stickers and fried shrimp. Both were good. Ordered 8 dishes plus rice. Of those, the eggplant was so salty it was almost inedible, the scallop dish same,and we all agreed the new "Sand prawns" a disaster - very salty and tasted like it had a nasty parmesan cheese coating (not at all expected in a Chinese restaurant). The green beans were good as well as the Chinese napa cabbage (from the Chinese menu). Through out the meal we had non-existent service from the 2 or 3 wait staff that whizzed by to help the growing crowd of diners (our waitress just seemed to disappear) and did not get the requested condiments (vinegar, chili paste) until majority of meal consumed . I had never gotten the spicy garlic pork by the end of the meal so flagged down a waiter and told them to just take it off the bill. Within 2 minutes he comes out with said dish, I told him to wrap it for takeout since we had finished.
On looking at the bill, I noticed that a glass of "house" chardonnay was $13.49! Yet the whole bottle of name brand Gewurztraminer wine I ordered was only $20! 2 large beers were $7 each (a fair price). To the pre-tip bill of $187.59, they added an 18% tip of $33.77 - making total $221.36 for the absolute WORST dining experience ever. We all agreed we would never go back there. However, we have had good food, but along with same lousy service, at the Clovis location. One of my guests had been a server in an upscale Chinese restaurant in another area and said it appeared to her that the staff had not been trained at all, did not have any idea of what the kitchen did or did not have, -- no excuse for this recently re-opened restaurant. They had plenty of time to hire and train ENOUGH staff to make dining pleasant.
And the chef needs to rethink how much he seasons with salt or soy sauce. 3 of 8 dishes almost inedible due to overwhelming saltiness. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

• Visited June 2013