“One of Fresno's Best Hidden Gems” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fresno, California
“One of Fresno's Best Hidden Gems”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The original "Hunan" on Cedar is less expensive and less formal (environment) than the Clovis one.

The food is excellent and prices reasonable, though you could get much cheaper Chinese food anywhere else.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Clovis, California
“VERY DISAPPOOINTED.Will not go back again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Reservations for 6 last night. Not too crowded at 6 pm. Ordered green onion pancakes and pot stickers for appetizers. Waitress came back and said chef did not have time to make the pancakes so they did not have them. Ordered a new shrimp appetizer instead. She came back and said they did not have that either. I went down the appetizer list and to each suggestion she said they did not have them. Finally I said tell me what you DO have and I will chose from that.. Ended up with pot stickers and fried shrimp. Both were good. Ordered 8 dishes plus rice. Of those, the eggplant was so salty it was almost inedible, the scallop dish same,and we all agreed the new "Sand prawns" a disaster - very salty and tasted like it had a nasty parmesan cheese coating (not at all expected in a Chinese restaurant). The green beans were good as well as the Chinese napa cabbage (from the Chinese menu). Through out the meal we had non-existent service from the 2 or 3 wait staff that whizzed by to help the growing crowd of diners (our waitress just seemed to disappear) and did not get the requested condiments (vinegar, chili paste) until majority of meal consumed . I had never gotten the spicy garlic pork by the end of the meal so flagged down a waiter and told them to just take it off the bill. Within 2 minutes he comes out with said dish, I told him to wrap it for takeout since we had finished.
On looking at the bill, I noticed that a glass of "house" chardonnay was $13.49! Yet the whole bottle of name brand Gewurztraminer wine I ordered was only $20! 2 large beers were $7 each (a fair price). To the pre-tip bill of $187.59, they added an 18% tip of $33.77 - making total $221.36 for the absolute WORST dining experience ever. We all agreed we would never go back there. However, we have had good food, but along with same lousy service, at the Clovis location. One of my guests had been a server in an upscale Chinese restaurant in another area and said it appeared to her that the staff had not been trained at all, did not have any idea of what the kitchen did or did not have, -- no excuse for this recently re-opened restaurant. They had plenty of time to hire and train ENOUGH staff to make dining pleasant.
And the chef needs to rethink how much he seasons with salt or soy sauce. 3 of 8 dishes almost inedible due to overwhelming saltiness. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
California
“I don't need to go to SF for good Chinese Food anymore!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I hestitate to even mention how good this place is for fear of ruining my next experience. I don't want it to become over run with people who know good chinese food when they taste it! Thankfully, there are two Hunan Restaurants. When Hunan 1 is too crowded, my plan is to head to Hunan 2 on Herndon in Clovis.

I heard about this place from a friend at work. There is also a chowhound (SF food blog) review. Say no more.

OK-the food.
You are given two sets of menu's when you are seated. The regualar menu and the authentic memu. Are you kidding? We went straight for the authentic.
We ordered the house special lamb, house special pan fried noodles, butter cream prawns, basil chicken and dry cooked green beans. They were all unbelievable. I would re-order all of it again. There were 3 of us and we had enough for two of us to have leftovers the next day for dinner.

So now when I head to Fresno/Clovis to visit my in-laws, this is where we will eat.

I can not recommend it enough.

Service was outstanding. Restraraunt is in a strip mall, tucked away. It would be easy to miss. Which is fine by me. At least I know how to find it!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Food was delicious, and service was excellent!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time eating there and when we walked in they immediately greeted us. While we were ordering the gentlemen was very friendly, and helpful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The best Chinese in the valley!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Hunan is delicious! My favorite is the Green Onion Beef. The beef is so tender that it melts in your mouth. My kids love the orange chicken, which is also fabulous. Since they came to Clovis, that is the location that we frequent. Yum! Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere