“Your best option in this area” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center

You added Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno, CA 93721 (Formerly Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
Boston, Massachusetts
“Your best option in this area”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This area in Fresno is not the greatest, but if you have to be in this exact spot, this is literally the only reliable hotel within 15 minutes (walk) of the Convention Center.

THE GOOD:
Beverly, at the front desk, is incredible. She is sweet, welcoming and incredibly obliging. When the printer in the business center wasn't working, she helped me print many pages on her printer during her own break. She greeted me every time she saw me in the lobby!

A bar is attached, the rooms are clean, fast maintenance and housekeeping, free coffee in the lobby, great laundry machines are available (coin), the gym is spacious, and there is fast internet. The overall hotel decor looks great.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
The other front desk staff members were not very professional. At one point, I needed something and the woman at the front desk I had to come back because the others were in a meeting. I heard loud laughter from behind me, and it turns out the "staff meeting" was in the adjacent bar connected to the lobby. There was no apparent meeting. I walked in and asked for help, and the manager apologized and said he would help me. The kicker is that I noticed, during the remaining days of my stay, that many of the front desk staff hung out in the bar area everyday. The Holiday Inn can do better, and Beverly deserves an extra pat on the back for demonstrating her professionalism despite the lack thereof by her coworkers.

The other reviews on here are right - the rooms are HOT. The A/C does not go lower than about 71*. Although the room had a door that opened onto a balcony, we couldn't leave the door open at night/evening because of the noise. There were a lot of drunk (and homeless) people from the casino next-door, and they would dig through the trash or yell right below our window. There were gun shots one night and police sirens almost every night. I'm glad the doors had locks on them, but the hotel can do more for security. The elevators (which are painfully slow and often stop on the wrong floor) should have key locks. Homeless people would come into the lobby for free coffee, and the front desk had to keep tabs on who was actually staying in the hotel. There were security guards, and the hotel doors did lock after a certain hour, but random people were still somehow able to come into the lobby.

Sheets were scratchy (typical Holiday Inn quality though) and the hotel rooms were old. The pipes under our sink broke and maintenance had to repair them. They still leaked after being repaired, but I think that is more a testament to the age of the hotel than the work of the maintenance crew (they were speedy and helpful).

WATCH OUT:
The area is not great. Be careful and don't walk alone.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor if you are traveling alone.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns and for the great praise about Beverly. She is a great asset to the hotel and it means a lot that you have recognized that. I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the room condition and noise as well. We will take all feedback and apply it to grow as a team. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention and professionalism.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was first put off by a few of the reviews, as I was stopping here for a night during a recent fly drive vacation. However, it was a really nice surprise when I arrived as the rooms were really clean and comfortable, modern and spacious. Superb comfy beds, one of the best nights sleep I've had! Friendly staff on reception and also a great internet room with free computer/printer facilities. Managed to grab half hour by the pool, which is an absolute suntrap and was really relaxing after a long drive. Free coffee in reception also. Had a meal in the hotel restaurant which although there wasn't much choice, what we did have was very nice. Large free car park downstairs. You do see quite a few homeless people hanging around the park opposite, but they are in California because of the climate and generally keep themselves to themselves - any that I have encountered have been very discreet and courteous, with better manners than most other people you encounter along the way!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed here with a large group at the end of October. None of the rooms had the ability to control their climate. We made four calls to the front desk on the first day, as our room was a constant 64 degrees. They said they would send someone. No one arrived. The last time we went in person to the front desk and were given two free drinks at the bar. Since we were staying for 7 nights, we got a heater and brought it home as some of the rooms were stuck well above 80 degrees and we did not want to be on that end of the extreme.

Yes, it is in downtown Fresno which isn't the nicest town on the planet. The front desk had to chase a homeless guy away from the free coffee. I saw a lot of security and police, though, so never felt unsafe so to speak. The elevators don't have key locks so anyone can get up to your room. As evidenced by the pizza delivery lady waltzing straight to my room at 9:30 pm.

I would recommend paying to stay at a place with climate control, as reading the reviews it is obvious that this particular hotel has not ever had that as an option.

• Stayed October 2013
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you with a good experience while you were with us. Updates to our system are our first priority and we have made some changes that we hope would provide you with a better outlook should you decide to give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your feedback and allowing us to use it to improve.
Atascadero, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

After reading the recent reviews, I was concerned about staying. But, after spending last weekend there I was delighted. The management and staff were friendly and patient. We were quickly checked in. They called our room to remind us of the truly well priced dinner specials on tap. The lobby is spacious with plenty of seating. The rooms and bed are large, clean and comfortable. We could see all the trees of Fresno and the Sierras from our window. The bathroom was modern and big enough for 2 to move around. The parking in the basement is free with plenty of safety people watching. They have a good conference center. The breakfast menu or buffet were enough for anyone. The bar was well lit and sedate. The pool was small and tepid (it was mid-Oct.), and just concrete walls, windows and sky to look at.

It is an urban hotel. There was traffic and safety personnel making noise on the streets below, but not too noisy for sleeping. If you are afraid of street people then you'll not want to wander around much. But if you've a mind to explore there are some good local landmarks to see. The Tower District is an easy 10 min. drive uptown. The minor league baseball park is 2 blocks away. The Fulton Mall is in the preliminary stages of redevelopment. There are very new nightspots open 2 blocks from the hotel. The pre-War office towers are being refurbished. And my favorite amenity was the fresh donuts next door to go with free coffee in the hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain views noisier side, Mall view quieter side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here in the middle of summer and that means, "Hot". I checked in, place my gear in my room and noticed that it was very hot in the room. I went down to the front desk and they told me that when returned from my dinner the problem would be taken care. What the front desk didn't tell me was that there was a problem with the AC in the entire hotel that day. When I returned it was still very hot in the room and still not letting me in on the overall problem, moved me to another room on another floor that was even hotter. So, I had to go to the lobby and get my original room back because it was then too late in the evening to move to another hotel. The staff, came to my room with a window ac unit that got the temp down to 85 degrees and to their credit finally let me in on the overall problem and comped my room. But a little honesty would have gone a loooooong way.

Room Tip: get there early, make sure everything is working or find another facility
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for you review of the hotel and we are very sorry to hear that you had this experience during that time. Even more so that the problem was not immediately solved. We have taken large steps towards making sure this does not happen again in the future including getting a new ac unit and changing our problem resolution strategies. This will ensure guest comfort and satisfaction for future stays. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for letting us know.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here two nights on business, all down town areas are for the most part are almost the same. Room was clean, bed very comfy. This area shuts down around 5pm, it's nice and lively during working hours. The freaks come out at night after that! Restaurant isn't open for lunch, so half lunch next door at the casino, which was nice and cool. Staff in the hotel says the building is old and ac wasn't working at 100%? I was uncomfortable in the room, bartender velia stayed open two hours later to accommodate guests which i thought was very nice. I was given a 10$ coupon to have breakfast, my server michelle was also very friendly. All this staff was great and professional. Management should get their acts together with the ac problem, stayed at this hotel same time last year and it was the same thing and same story. Both stays i never saw any manager around that looked like they cared about a guest. Told one of the employees, " that lady needs to smile, what does she do here?" and i was told, " general manager". Wow. If it wasn't for the wonderful staff that actually come in contact with guests i wouldn't come back. Iv had management walk through at other hotels while I'm having dinner and go outta there way to just acknowledge a guest, it's little things like that, that make the stay a little better.

• Stayed August 2013
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear luschio,

We appreciate your review of the Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center. We are cooperating with Fresno Downtown Partnership to make sure we have a clean and safe environment surrounding the hotel, but thank you for letting us know your thoughts. If you had a negative encounter with particular employees while with us we are truly sorry, but can assure you this is not a normal occurance. The experience you had while with us is being brought to the attention of the management team so we can better serve and accommodate our guests 100% of the time. It is always great to hear that our staff members are going above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be. We are making all efforts to ensure we as an entire staff are all on the same page. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chase Davis
Front Office Manager
Holiday Inn Downtown Convention Center
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was the closest to the location of the funeral we were attending early the next morning. We arrived at dinner time so we ate in the restaurant. It wasn't the best experience, but we did get some food in our tummies. When we arrived at the hotel, the room was very warm, so I turned on and lowered the thermostat. When we came back from dinner, the room was still very hot. I tried it again, but the A/C did not come on. It was 90 degrees outside and it felt a lot warmer in the enclosed room. We called the desk, they said someone would be up shortly to fix the A/C and deliver a fan. No one ever showed up at all during the night and it was only after a call to the booking agency, did we get a meager fan around midnight. We were very hot and uncomfortable, so we took cool showers during the night. The shower curtain smelled so bad after getting wet which made the whole room smell so bad and with the heat, it was nauseating. I was disappointed in the booking agency who said they couldn't do anything about it, even give us a discount on the room. After expressing my disappointment at that, the woman offered to give me $25 HOT dollars for my NEXT stay made on this booking agency. WHAT? How appropriate, HOT dollars. In looking back, I feel they gave us that room, even knowing it had no A/C. I don't know who I am more disappointed in, the online booking agency or this hotel again. I have been a customer since 2008, and after my first complaint, this is the way I was treated. I don't know if I'll use my HOT DOLLARS AT ALL! And then we had to go to the funeral... And for this experience, I had to pay over $100 plus the cost of the meal. I have sent this same letter to the hotel and to the booking agency.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel ever for anyone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Kim2848,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are very sorry to read that you experienced not only an uncomfortable stay but did not receive a proper resolution. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations will be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Chase Davis
Front Office Manager
Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center

Been to Radisson Hotel Fresno Conference Center? Share your experiences!