“A good place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Atascadero, California
“A good place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

After reading the recent reviews, I was concerned about staying. But, after spending last weekend there I was delighted. The management and staff were friendly and patient. We were quickly checked in. They called our room to remind us of the truly well priced dinner specials on tap. The lobby is spacious with plenty of seating. The rooms and bed are large, clean and comfortable. We could see all the trees of Fresno and the Sierras from our window. The bathroom was modern and big enough for 2 to move around. The parking in the basement is free with plenty of safety people watching. They have a good conference center. The breakfast menu or buffet were enough for anyone. The bar was well lit and sedate. The pool was small and tepid (it was mid-Oct.), and just concrete walls, windows and sky to look at.

It is an urban hotel. There was traffic and safety personnel making noise on the streets below, but not too noisy for sleeping. If you are afraid of street people then you'll not want to wander around much. But if you've a mind to explore there are some good local landmarks to see. The Tower District is an easy 10 min. drive uptown. The minor league baseball park is 2 blocks away. The Fulton Mall is in the preliminary stages of redevelopment. There are very new nightspots open 2 blocks from the hotel. The pre-War office towers are being refurbished. And my favorite amenity was the fresh donuts next door to go with free coffee in the hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain views noisier side, Mall view quieter side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here in the middle of summer and that means, "Hot". I checked in, place my gear in my room and noticed that it was very hot in the room. I went down to the front desk and they told me that when returned from my dinner the problem would be taken care. What the front desk didn't tell me was that there was a problem with the AC in the entire hotel that day. When I returned it was still very hot in the room and still not letting me in on the overall problem, moved me to another room on another floor that was even hotter. So, I had to go to the lobby and get my original room back because it was then too late in the evening to move to another hotel. The staff, came to my room with a window ac unit that got the temp down to 85 degrees and to their credit finally let me in on the overall problem and comped my room. But a little honesty would have gone a loooooong way.

Room Tip: get there early, make sure everything is working or find another facility
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for you review of the hotel and we are very sorry to hear that you had this experience during that time. Even more so that the problem was not immediately solved. We have taken large steps towards making sure this does not happen again in the future including getting a new ac unit and changing our problem resolution strategies. This will ensure guest comfort and satisfaction for future stays. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for letting us know.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights on business, all down town areas are for the most part are almost the same. Room was clean, bed very comfy. This area shuts down around 5pm, it's nice and lively during working hours. The freaks come out at night after that! Restaurant isn't open for lunch, so half lunch next door at the casino, which was nice and cool. Staff in the hotel says the building is old and ac wasn't working at 100%? I was uncomfortable in the room, bartender velia stayed open two hours later to accommodate guests which i thought was very nice. I was given a 10$ coupon to have breakfast, my server michelle was also very friendly. All this staff was great and professional. Management should get their acts together with the ac problem, stayed at this hotel same time last year and it was the same thing and same story. Both stays i never saw any manager around that looked like they cared about a guest. Told one of the employees, " that lady needs to smile, what does she do here?" and i was told, " general manager". Wow. If it wasn't for the wonderful staff that actually come in contact with guests i wouldn't come back. Iv had management walk through at other hotels while I'm having dinner and go outta there way to just acknowledge a guest, it's little things like that, that make the stay a little better.

• Stayed August 2013
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear luschio,

We appreciate your review of the Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center. We are cooperating with Fresno Downtown Partnership to make sure we have a clean and safe environment surrounding the hotel, but thank you for letting us know your thoughts. If you had a negative encounter with particular employees while with us we are truly sorry, but can assure you this is not a normal occurance. The experience you had while with us is being brought to the attention of the management team so we can better serve and accommodate our guests 100% of the time. It is always great to hear that our staff members are going above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be. We are making all efforts to ensure we as an entire staff are all on the same page. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Holiday Inn Downtown Convention Center
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was the closest to the location of the funeral we were attending early the next morning. We arrived at dinner time so we ate in the restaurant. It wasn't the best experience, but we did get some food in our tummies. When we arrived at the hotel, the room was very warm, so I turned on and lowered the thermostat. When we came back from dinner, the room was still very hot. I tried it again, but the A/C did not come on. It was 90 degrees outside and it felt a lot warmer in the enclosed room. We called the desk, they said someone would be up shortly to fix the A/C and deliver a fan. No one ever showed up at all during the night and it was only after a call to the booking agency, did we get a meager fan around midnight. We were very hot and uncomfortable, so we took cool showers during the night. The shower curtain smelled so bad after getting wet which made the whole room smell so bad and with the heat, it was nauseating. I was disappointed in the booking agency who said they couldn't do anything about it, even give us a discount on the room. After expressing my disappointment at that, the woman offered to give me $25 HOT dollars for my NEXT stay made on this booking agency. WHAT? How appropriate, HOT dollars. In looking back, I feel they gave us that room, even knowing it had no A/C. I don't know who I am more disappointed in, the online booking agency or this hotel again. I have been a customer since 2008, and after my first complaint, this is the way I was treated. I don't know if I'll use my HOT DOLLARS AT ALL! And then we had to go to the funeral... And for this experience, I had to pay over $100 plus the cost of the meal. I have sent this same letter to the hotel and to the booking agency.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel ever for anyone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Kim2848,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are very sorry to read that you experienced not only an uncomfortable stay but did not receive a proper resolution. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations will be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is probably the worst review I have written out of the 40 I've done and I have stayed in other Holiday Inns (and Express) which were nothing like this. We stopped in Fresno on our way back from San Diego, we didn't know the area but thought downtown would be ok since it must cater to business class. it is next to a casino and you share parking with the patrons, there were cop cars and lights going as we pulled up. We got in the elevator with a group of three young men blasting music on their ipad, granted they turned off the blaring f word when the kids stepped in. The hallway carpets were dirty. The room was a good size with two queen beds and we were so tired I thought nothing would keep me up. Then came the people walking around upstairs (which i shouldn't be able to hear), the crying baby nearby, the car alarm and oh, the trains (plural). The only thing updated I saw was the granite counter top, the shower, fixtures were old and to top it off, as I went to make a cup of coffee, very happy to see the coffeemaker, there was a long red hair lying on top and the entire coffeemaker was dusty and the tray it sat in was filthy, I don't ask much but at least try to clean it, disgusting in every way. Oh, and the kicker, as we were leaving, the housekeeper across the hall had their music blaring, I have never seen this in the too many to count hotels I have stayed in. This place was sold-out so they have no incentive to make any changes but just don't let it be you and your family staying here.

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear FamilyontheMove_12,

Thank you for your comments about the Holiday Inn Downtown Convention Center. We are very sorry to hear the experience you had while staying with us. You should be able to feel safe and comfortable and thanks to responses from guests such as yourself we have added extra staff for security. This will absolutely help with making sure the area is clean and comfortable.

The inconveniences that were present in the room are inexcusable and I can assure you they are being addressed. The inspection and cleanliness process is being brought to a higher level to ensure our guests satisfaction and room consistency. We also are dedicated to updating items such as shower heads to allow the best possible experience while staying with us. Thank you again for your review.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

So is this hotel. New management is doing a great job of re-upping their environment-- from the rooms to their restaurant. Very cool and knowledgeable staff. Sure appreciate this place and the improvements.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear StevenKent7,

Thank you so much for your comment about our improvements. We truly appreciate that you have recognized us and our collective efforts. Its so great to hear from our guests that the changes being made are noticed. We will continue to strive for excellence and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Changed rooms 2 times. First room no air conditioning and half a blind in window. Room was dirty and carpets filthy. Second room air conditioning very poor. Carpet filthy. TV didn't work. Front desk said they'd send someone up. 30 minutes later still waiting. Rooms have no mini fridge or a suit case stand. Walls are stained with who knows what. Front desk help was very accommodating with trying to hand out extras but that doesn't make it worth staying at this dump.

• Stayed July 2013
cdavis1987, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear BE20Jockey7,

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown-Convention Center. We are glad to hear that the front desk staff tried to do everything in their power to accommodate you, however, we also understand that when it's coupled with the problems you encountered it still makes for a stay that is not as good as it can be. The actions necessary to resolve the issues stated have already been underway so we do thank you for bringing it to our attention so we can address it promptly.

We are going through an update to the Hotel, which means for the guest that we have a more efficient and comfortable stay. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you stay again in the future so we can right that wrong. If there is anything I can do for you at all please do not hesitate to contact me anytime. Thank you again!

T: 559-233-6650 E: cdavis@holidayinnfresno.com

Been to Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!