“Your worst nightmare comes true in this hotel and everything with a discount.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr

Save Saved
You added Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno, CA 93721 (Formerly Holiday Inn Fresno Downtown Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Pigs Ear, Pennsylvania, United States
“Your worst nightmare comes true in this hotel and everything with a discount.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Misfortune after misfortune.

I got fixed at this facility by error. I was to attend a Judo tournament in West Clovis but accidentally got booked in this hotel. So I thought for one night I can stay.

On arrival the receptionist was extremely helpful but that was it .I checked in my 8th floor room and ventured down for a meal. At first I decided to venture the surrounding area and very quickly decided the area is so run down I don't wish to be mugged here. So I retreated back to the hotel.

I went to the restaurant.where I was greeted by a five foot tall and six foot wide battleaxe! I very patiently asked for just a piece of chicken with slices of cucumbers and tomatoes and onions. She kept interrupting with the phrase of "and croutons?" while I am explaining that due to cholesterol I cannot eat much else. She repeated the order to herself not missing the "and croutons". I also asked for a straight coke which I got in a small wine glass loaded with ice.The food eventually arrived. There was about 3/4 lb of chopped up lettuce, I slice of a beef tomato cut up to literally 100 pieces at the bottom of the vegetation with some cucumber skins and no trace of any croutons. Needless to say there was three strips of chicken breast laid on top of the greenery. I ate the chicken and decided to leave the rabbit food, That lot cost me $15.00 which I paid cash but they refused to give me a paid receipt but offered a 10% discount which I refused to accept and paid in full and in cash.

Moving on I went to my room at 7:00 PM and decided to have an early night as nothing was nice in this hotel. I thought I can try to get a morning call as I couldn't trust myself to wake up at 5AM to get ready for the task ahead next day. I tried the phone but the phone was not working so I ventured down to the helpful receptionist who agreed without admitting that the phones were out of order.While in the lobby she had to get rid of a homeless person who ventured into the hotel for a free stewed coffee. As I was trying to get to my room I noticed a bunch of Japanese / Korean teenagers with their supervisors arriving in and at least 5 of those people had tissues stuck in their nostrils looking like walruses.

Any way I crawled back seeking sanctuary in my room for the night, But the nightmare was just beginning. At approximately 9:15 PM there were huge number of African American women dressed in what could only be described as heavy curtains looking and more importantly sounding loud and flamboyant starting marching across the corridor outside my room. This was followed by a frighteningly loud thumping that was shaking this 9 story building to the point that the TV was vibrating in the room. This thumping which was the residue of the music being played somewhere in the building (I could not hear the music only the bass Thumps) continued until 12:20 Am and I was sitting wide awake dying to close my eyes.

I could not have dropped of more than 20 minutes I was woken up by the following message in the room"This is an Emergency Please leave your room and go to the lobby without using the elevators" followed by flashes of a xenon tube. At first I thought if I ignore the noise it would go away but 20 minutes later it did not. So I got dressed at 2:00 AM and went to the lobby not using elevators but the stairs .(Remember I am on the 8th floor) On arrival all the guests including the Flamboyant women and the walruses are all present except for the homeless who was seeking coffee earlier. We were told it was a false alarm and someone had let cigarette smoke go into a main smoke detector., By the time I managed to get into an elevator and get myself to bed was 3AM. At 5 AM I did get my alarm call and on my way out I was asked by the new shift had I had a pleasant stay to which I replied "don't ask!" I also wished to speak to a manager who was not available and receptionist wanted to take a message to which I replied don't worry I will write a review . However she offered to give a discount!!

My conclusion is that this place will not remain open for long and that this is the normality as they offer discounts. May be I need to mention that at the point of booking they asked if I have a discount voucher which I didn't but said I am a AAA member to which they offered a discount which was the room without breakfast with $10 deduction. As I was going to the tournament at 6 am I did not want breakfast and that was the only discount that I took.

The place is very dark the air condition squeaks, and Mr. Manager take note the computers in your business suite are not working either. I guess no business man would want to spend a second in this God forsaken Hotel

Room Tip: didn't see a spa didn't see breakfast and location is very run down
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Norbert S,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera P

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Staff was ok service in the bar was terrible. Food was ok. Didnt use any of the other facilities. The areas around the hotel are not the best in Fresno. Not so bad I wouldnt go outside but bad enough to remain vigilent. I'd probably stay elsewhere unless the location was ultra convienent to staying there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Let's face it - downtown Fresno is in need of some sprucing up. Yes the Holiday Inn shows its age and that is an obstacle that is difficult to overcome. I was here on business with a group of seven. We all had seen the negative comments. Notwithstanding we found that management went above and beyond for us. I have never seen hotel management try harder. The hotel does have downtown convenience. If that is what you are looking for, know that the people working this hotel clearly are aiming to please and will attend to your needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Palmdale, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I checked in on October 10th and will be checking out today. Upon arrival the first thing you will notice is the area. It's rundown, uninviting and filled with homeless people. All the establishments around the area, appear to be shut down. The elevators are extremely slow, despite the fact that there are three. The rooms are nice, spacious and include balconies. I did my laundry at the hotel and was told that I would receive it back the following business day around 7:30pm. At 8:30pm I still hadnt received my laundry, so I called downstairs and asked for it to be brought to me. The guy at the front desk advised that they couldnt bring my laundry to my room and that I needed to come get it. Ive never been to a hotel that doesnt deliver your laundry to your room. In addition, the guests on my floor were very noisy every morning around 4am. When I called downstairs to complain, the same guy that made me come and get my laundry said that there was nothing he could do about noisy guests. SMH. So today, I wake up and there is no water. I call the front desk and was advised that the water was shut off by the city and that it SHOULD be cut back on shortly. Its been two hours so far. Needless to say I dont recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Danyelle S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you found our room accommodations commendable enough for your needs. I am sorry about the issues you encountered with our elevator and also for any inconvenience our staff may have caused during your stay. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was booked as part of a tour, en route to Las Vegas from San Francisco. We only stayed one night and it was very busy. The room was very nice, extremely comfortable bed and nice linen and decor. The bad was the restaurant. Service was very slow, food average and not particularly cheap. At breakfast the only option was fruit and cakes. No cereal, no toast, nothing. This was very disappointing as was the attitude of the staff. Could do better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear lesley100,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am so pleased you liked your room accommodations. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please allow me to apologize for the unacceptable service you received from our hotel restaurant and any inconvenienced this may have caused you. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with our breakfast options. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again on your future stays.

Anthony M
Los Banos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Planned a renewal of vows in Fresno for the first of September. Called to reserve a block of rooms and they said they could not do that. They were not full because everyone got a room but not on same floor or with any discount. No one said there was an annual street party in front of the hotel that day and that parking would be REALLY screwed up. No signs for the detoured parking on the street or on the web site. Once we checked in on the street side they mentioned that the huge street party was live music til 2 am. The front counter people could not figure out why EVERYONE with reservations that day was calling trying to find a way into the parking garage. Duh, not one sign saying "oh, by the way...parking this way". Learned later they did reserve blocks of rooms for the street party goers but not others. The breakfast buffet featured raw bacon, potato chips they called potatoes and cold food. Could be the worst hotel experience I have ever had. The hotel staff did say..."sorry to hear that" but that was it.

Room Tip: Non street side if u actually want to sleep
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Brad C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Fresno.

Karen G
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The temperature when we got out of the car was 109 degrees in Fresno. It was warm in the lobby, when I checked in, but I assumed, I was still hot from the outside temperature. I checked in, and the desk clerk was very nice. I had made the reservations via Priceline, and everything seemed to be in order.
I met 2 women on the elevator going to my room, and they said that I was lucky to be on the third floor. They had moved from the 7th to the 5th floor because it was so hot in their room. I went into our room, and it was 85 degrees.
I followed directions on the thermostat, and could not get the temperature lower than 83 degrees. We called the front desk and a maintenance man said that it was an old building, a hot day, and we had done everything right, and the room would gradually get cooler. He did bring us a fan, which helped, but over the entire night, the temperature never got below 83 degrees! This was Fresno in summer!
The desk clerk should have warned us when we checked in that the air conditioning was not working! We would have gotten a refund from Priceline, and gone elsewhere. My traveling companion has gone to Holiday Inn in the past, and has raved about both your Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Express. I was very disappointed! I do not feel that this hotel was up to any climate standards, or deserved the 3 star rating that it got on Priceline.
The air conditioning needs to be replaced immediately, or they should close in the summer! I can not vouch for the quality of the heater in the winter, but guests could risk the opposite problem.

Room Tip: Go in the spring or fall, when room temperature may not be a problem.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear SDTeacher50,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the air conditioner. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Been to Radisson Hotel Conference Ctr? Share your experiences!