“Best Yakitori You'll Ever Have” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Anaheim, California
“Best Yakitori You'll Ever Have”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

YUM YUM YUM! I've been here one other time before, about 6 years ago, and it was phenomenal this time as it was then. We were on the Yakitori side of the restaurant, and I came with the same friend as 6 years ago, so he pretty much knew what to order. The place is pretty small, so around 8 PM, we waited about 30 minutes before we got sat. Due to the size, if you come in large groups, it's better to go earlier than later.

We started out with a glass of Sapporo and later progressed to a bottle of sake, Kabuto Manju. They initially brought us a bottle that was half-drunken and opened, so we had to ask for a new one. It looked like the servers drank some of it on the way over to the table! However, the sake was the BEST sake I ever had in my life! It was super smooth and had a very slick finish. And it went with everything we ate, some of which I really don't know the names of. We even shared some sake with the cooks. They were really fun to be served by.

They were out of Quail Eggs that night, so we did not have any of that, but I remember them being delicious 6 years ago. They have happy hour from 6 PM - 10 PM Mondays and Tuesday, so all the beef, chicken, and pork dishes were only $1.50 each.

Some of the things we ate that I remembered the names of:
Thigh with Green Onion
Skin
Pork belly
Flap meat
Green chile
Kobe Beef
Crab croquettes
Bacon wrapped something
And a bunch of other meats I couldn't tell you what they were
Garlic Shrimp (this was the only dish I wasn't that fond of)
Okra (not bad but a bit on the slimy side
House-made tofu (I could imagine this would have tasted really good with some dessert type sauce)

Seriously, you can't go wrong with anything. The meats here taste like a choir in your mouth. Lots of flavor, all very tender, Even the garlic shrimp that I wasn't too fond of was pretty good. It was just a bit dry. Order everything here, even just to taste it. You'll come out feeling glad the fact that you're not vegan or vegetarian.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Corona del Mar, California, United States
“Authentic Hakata Ramen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Incredible ramen! Fast service. Great bone stock. Loud, but feels just like a Ramen House in Japan without the Vending Machine Pos. definitely will come back again and again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellicott city, md
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Ok. We are from the East Coast (DC area) where Ramen is a trend and this the price is premium. When our friends took us to Shin-Sen-Gumi, we were blown away by how affordable the ramen is and also love all other dishes they offer. We tried their Ramen which has thinner noodle than what we are accustomed to. However, the flavor is good and the Cha-Shu is tender. If you add 95 cents, you can even have bottomless noodle refill.

We also ordered the fried chicken cartilage, crunchy and chewy at the same time. Their Sanbora rice (ground chicken and rice and eggs in sweet soy) is also very good. I have never had it before and it was a hit for the kids.

Go there and don't get discouraged by the wait. It is worth it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
California City, California
“Ramen Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a cool, hole in the wall place. Its better to come a bit early if you don't like to wait. Ramen is delicious!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful place for a quick lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Friends are always skeptical when I take them to Shin Sen Gumi. They always imagine that it will be an overpriced Top Ramen product. Every time they are happily surprised that this is not the case.

It is a small place, best suited for small parties (2-3). Don't come expecting much atmosphere or a show. Since the place is so small the workers try to get people in and out quickly. There is usually a long wait time in the evenings but I have found it mostly deserted during the lunch hours.

They have other food besides ramen but I always find myself eating that with a side of gyoza. It is incredibly filling, tasty, and is fairly priced. Definitely a place worth trying at least once.