“By far, my most miserable hotel night” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Foster City
Evanston, Illinois
“By far, my most miserable hotel night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Not because the room was missing basic amenities like bottled water, toothbrush and toothpaste... not because the phone was broken (with handset, I was heard but couldn't hear; in speaker mode, I could hear but not be heard) and I got yelled at by the guest services operator for calling her repeatedly... not because it's my first time being told by hotel staff to go down to the front desk to pick up the amenities that should have been in the room in the first place.

Not because the hotel was a depressing environment to arrive at late at night (dark, quiet, and no sign of civilization apart from the front desk person) after a long journey, the bedcovers were stained (ugh), and the view from the "window" (why even bother with windows???) was the depressingly dark lobby.

But because someone had the genius idea to combine the A/C with energy-saving motion detector technology! I appreciate the thought behind energy-saving innovation. But - in a room designated for sleep?! Well, I'm sorry, but I am motionless when I sleep. That does not mean I am not there. Because of my tinnitus, the powering off of the A/C wakes me up instantly. I got up several times over the course of the night to do a little dance to get the A/C back on. Sounds like fun? Trust me, uninterrupted sleep is way better. The same thing happened with the bathroom light, which I normally leave on in hotel rooms so that I can find my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night if I have to go. It turned off by itself and when the A/C next woke me up I found myself in pitch darkness, not a pleasant feeling when alone in a strange place.

The only bright spark was Juan at the front desk, who promptly gave me what I needed and offered some much needed sympathies for my plight.

(Note: I did not stay on the business side. I'm guessing it's probably newer, nicer and they treat you better over there. And maybe, hopefully, no genius energy-saving technology that assumes you're not there.)

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Nitpicker011,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip where I did not have a rental car and relied on taxis to get me around. That meant I had to eat the majority of my meals at the hotel. The food was excellent, and best of all, reasonable for a San Francisco area hotel. The indoor pool and fitness center were both top notch. Will stay here again in a minute!

Room Tip: I was told by a very nice receptionist that I should avoid rooms over the Bistro on a Friday and Sat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This isn't a bad hotel by any means, and the rooms are comfortable enough for what they are. The staff at the check-in desk were friendly, and I had no complaints with them. However, given the price, I did think it could have offered more in the way of facilities.

First, the rooms are 'standard' with no extra features to get excited about. The wifi connection was very slow, and although there was a paid-for internet upgrade option it was far too expensive to warrant paying it for the three weeks I stayed. The main foyer often smelt quite "cheesey", presumably from the pizzas being cooked in the bar. This was quite off-putting on coming back in the evenings after work. The swimming pool is really just a small paddling pool, and with no changing rooms either. The gym is quite good, but on the small side given the number of rooms in the hotel. The laundry facilities were good enough, but they only take quarters and the front desk often didn't have any quarters available. The bar and restaurant were quite good, and the Japanese restaurant worth a visit.

All in all, a reasonable place to stay, but nothing special and not somewhere I would willingly choose to stay again, for the money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear ChiTheCynic,

Ferdinand G
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I spent the night there last night (notice I didn't say,"slept there") because of my job. New hotel to my airline,crew. my room was straight above the entrance and it was a Harley riding night! it wasnt til around 3 a.m. after the club downstairs closed that the hallways and driveways quieted down.
The waterfall in the main entrance is a nice touch, but nowhere to sit,and enjoy it as it is right next to the elevators.
hotel,lobby smelled of fish and stale water.
to add insult to,injury, our crew members were deemed not dressed up enough to even get into the club--the only thing open!--to get something to eat, so were made to sit outside the club at another table, like second class citizens.
all in all, the last place I would return to

Stayed February 2013
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Colleen G,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to hear about your inconveniences. While many of our guests enjoy the lively environment of our night club, we apologize that the traffic noise disturbed your overnight stay. It is correct that we enforce a dress code at our night club and try to communicate that fact with all our business partners, including airlines. We are glad our Manager on Duty was still able to provide you with a space at the restaurant, but apologize it was not up to your expectations. We sure hope we can be of better service during your next visit.
Crowne Plaza Management
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hotel is quite nice, especially the Clubhouse Bistro, Chit-chat and Breakfast.
Attention to details is missing which takes away the WOW factor.
Examples - No drinking water bottles in rooms; Can hear noise from neighbouring rooms and bathrooms; Although I paid for hi-speed internet for amy entire 7-day stay but I was required to put in the room details every 24-hours; Mouthwash bottle in the bathroom was such tight sealed that you cannot open it - then what was the purpose of keeping it there?; the robe was removed on day-2.
The list might look long but overall it is a nice place to stay, being centrally located.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Naresh T,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. It is pleasing to know that you found our location to be convenient for your needs. However, I would like to apologize if you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to some amenities missing in your room during your stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Regards,

Pam G.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Originally, we booked 3 nights for our Christmas trip to Bay Area because we booked at a good price around $80 without breakfast, so we want to make sure it is a good place for our vacation stay before commit more days.

This is not a typical fancy high profile crown plaza hotel, but it is a cozy place to stay. make sure you book the rooms facing inside lobby/hall, so you don't get any hwy noise, also avoid rooms close to elevators because there could be mid-night crowd just landed from international flights. The hotel wall is a bit thin so as long as you don't get noise people next door to you. the location is great. There are microwave and laundry on each floor, and refrig in each room.

The staff were polite, helpful and well-trained.

Room Tip: book the rooms facing inside lobby/hall, so you don't get any hwy noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Cool008,

Thank you for your review and thank you for extending your stay! We are glad you had a wonderful experience at the Crowne Plaza-Foster City and hope to see you again soon!

The Crowne Plaza Foster City – San Mateo Management Team
SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is set-up like many Embassy Suites, in the atrium-style. It is well-lit and the stream traveling through the lobby also has beautiful koi living in it. The room was very clean --the biggest problem I had was working the remote control for the television! Athough the room was near the ice machine; it was relatively quiet.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Radiant360,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience with the remote. As a fun fact, we always receive comments that compare us to the Embassy Suites! We look forward to welcoming you again at our property!

The Crowne Plaza Foster City – San Mateo Management Team

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!