Not because the room was missing basic amenities like bottled water, toothbrush and toothpaste... not because the phone was broken (with handset, I was heard but couldn't hear; in speaker mode, I could hear but not be heard) and I got yelled at by the guest services operator for calling her repeatedly... not because it's my first time being told by hotel staff to go down to the front desk to pick up the amenities that should have been in the room in the first place.
Not because the hotel was a depressing environment to arrive at late at night (dark, quiet, and no sign of civilization apart from the front desk person) after a long journey, the bedcovers were stained (ugh), and the view from the "window" (why even bother with windows???) was the depressingly dark lobby.
But because someone had the genius idea to combine the A/C with energy-saving motion detector technology! I appreciate the thought behind energy-saving innovation. But - in a room designated for sleep?! Well, I'm sorry, but I am motionless when I sleep. That does not mean I am not there. Because of my tinnitus, the powering off of the A/C wakes me up instantly. I got up several times over the course of the night to do a little dance to get the A/C back on. Sounds like fun? Trust me, uninterrupted sleep is way better. The same thing happened with the bathroom light, which I normally leave on in hotel rooms so that I can find my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night if I have to go. It turned off by itself and when the A/C next woke me up I found myself in pitch darkness, not a pleasant feeling when alone in a strange place.
The only bright spark was Juan at the front desk, who promptly gave me what I needed and offered some much needed sympathies for my plight.
(Note: I did not stay on the business side. I'm guessing it's probably newer, nicer and they treat you better over there. And maybe, hopefully, no genius energy-saving technology that assumes you're not there.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our beautiful Crowne Plaza Hotel in Foster City is centrally located on the San Francisco Peninsula between Downtown San Francisco, San Jose, and the East Bay. Our property is just 7 miles from San Francisco International Airport and 22 miles from downtown San Francisco. Our unique building design has a beautiful atrium lobby filled with koi ponds, waterfalls, and palm trees that will provide a relaxing setting on your next visit. Some of our features include:* Complimentary Internet access in all guest rooms, lobby, all restaurants, and pool area* Three different varieties of restaurants, room service, and a sports bar* Complimentary SFO airport shuttle* Complimentary parking* Complimentary shuttle leaving at 10:30am daily to The Hillsdale Shopping Mall* Conveniently located next to The BridgePointe Shopping center* 24 hour business center with complimentary use of three computers and a printer* Relax in our indoor heated pool jacuzzi* Use of Fitness center* Executive Club Level rooms include Dell XP desktop computers with DVD drive, flat screen monitors and Continental Breakfast, Monday-Friday.* 16,000 Square feet of flexible meeting space ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo Hotel Foster City
- Crowne Plaza San Francisco
- Peninsula Foster City
- Foster City Peninsula