“Exploring the Refwoods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel

You added The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel to your Saves list
The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1859 Alamar Way, Fortuna, CA 95540 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Fortuna (Ferndale Area))   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Fortuna
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Delhi, New York
“Exploring the Refwoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really nice, comfortable place for a very reasonable price. The staff person was super friendly and helpful, the room had all of the basic amenities including a mini-fridge and table to eat at. Beds are comfortable and the breakfast was much better than the standard fare. Hot foods plus the usual cereal and pastries. Definitely recommend and would stay there again.

Stayed April 2015
Jeff D, Owner at The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I'm glowing as I read about how comfortable you were during your stay! I appreciate your compliments on everything from our staff to the breakfast, so I'll definitely share this with my team. Our door's always open if you find yourself in the Redwoods again in the future!

Jeff Durham, Head Lumberjack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We arrived late and really only slept there. The hotel is conveniently located close to the main road, gas station and in the proximity of the local mall. The walls seem really thin and we could hear our neighbors talking, but worse someone started a Harley outside in the morning, and it literally sounded as being started inside our room.
We took the receptionists advice and visited the nearest beach, which we truly enjoyed before moving on to the redwoods. Would stay again if the price is fair.
The breakfast is disappointing but unfortunately average compared to similar hotels.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room on the second floor
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Jeff D, Owner at The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
It's wonderful that your stay was convenient for you during your trip to the Redwoods! I'm also glad that you were able to enjoy the surrounding area. I appreciate your feedback, and have made note of your comments on both our walls and the breakfast. We do provide many options with our breakfast and I am sorry you did not find anything to your liking. Our door's always open if you find yourself in the area again in the future!

Woodland, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here because of its location. We were on a road trip and stopped to visit the redwoods. My wife prefers a room with a Jacuzzi tub and the Redwood Fortuna advertises such a room. They call it a suite. Unfortunately it is right over the lobby. Someone, staff I assume, liked to watch TV down there at 2:00 AM. The sound travels right up through the floor into the room. Quite annoying. No sleeping in either, as early rising guests are enjoying the provided breakfast and their conversation carries up into the room as well.

The room itself was OK. Very large. Comfortable bed and sofa. Bathroom was a little rough around the edges but very usable. Towels were terrible. Room key was flakey. Had to be reprogrammed and then quit working again when we were preparing to leave. All in all just an OK hotel.

The best part of the stay was the Eel River Brewery and Pub next door. Great beer and wonderful pub food.

Room Tip: Do not get the "suite" over the lobby. You will be up all night and very early in the morn...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Jeff D, Owner at The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Jerry, while it's wonderful that you enjoyed our location, it's definitely a shame to read about your disappointment with your room. Your comfort is one of our top priorities, so I'd like to personally apologize if that wasn't made clear to you. That said, I appreciate your feedback about the towels and your key, as I feel both are worth looking into. I hope you'll give us another shot if you and your wife find yourselves in the area again in the future!

Best,
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The pictures of the hotel must have been taken in the first days of it's existence. It is old and dirty. And we could follow the conversation and activities in the adjacent room.
When we arrived there was a police officer patrolling the premises 8-0. Didn't really give a good first impression.
I would not recommend this hotel and I don't think it's a good idea to stay here with children who need their sleep.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
I'm honestly shocked to hear about your stay. Cleanliness is our top priority, and we've recently renovated our grounds, so I'm very sorry if that wasn't made clear to you. That said, the city's police are vigilant in every area of our city, and we think it's great that they do everything they can to keep our guests safe. I appreciate your feedback, and hope you can give us another shot in the future.

Best,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed here two nights in two different rooms, the first a king executive and the other a regular queen room. The staff was always friendly at our arrival and check-in was painless. We thought the ambiance of the lobby was a nice addition, I loved the big map mural. The king executive room was very large, it was extremely clean and I loved the bed and clean sheets, this room was separated from the cheaper rooms so it was quieter. We ended up in the king executive after they upgraded us for free from a regular king room. The queen sized room was just slightly smaller and located amongst the other rooms. This room was equally as clean and wonderful. We both loved the mounted soaps/lotions/etc in the shower and bathroom counter of both rooms. The regular rooms are a bit noisier because the large windows are situated where other patrons walk by on the way to their rooms, it was not much of an issue for us. The breakfast in the mornings was a treat with the hot hash brown potatoes, sausage, biscuits and gravy. It wasn't amazing food but it was a treat compared to regular continental breakfasts. One issue we had at this hotel was the WiFi internet. It was very inconsistent an frequently unavailable. Not a dealbreaker for us but if your on business and need a reliable connection, you might want to consider this.

Room Tip: Very nice clean hotel
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Chelsea, I'm honestly glowing as I read about your stay! I appreciate your compliments on everything from our ambiance to our continental breakfast. I understand your concern about the wifi and we are currently working on upgrading it, it will be complete this summer. You're always welcome if you find yourself in the area again in the future!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

First off the staff was amazing. Super friendly and helpful especially Latissha. We kept having problems with our room key opening the door and were made aware many guests were having the same problem. The key machine that sets the keys is apparently out dated. Along with the phone systems. Come on owners, you know who you are get on it! :)

The good: the beds were very comfortable. The pricing is very fair. And again the service was bright spot here. I left my Ipad behind and called a couple hours after leaving to see if they found it. Sure enough, it was there and the front desk had already been trying to contact us, but my friend's phone was turned off (the contact # they had on file). Anyway, they got it out to me next day in the mail, even though their policy is to handle lost and found on Fridays (it was a Tues I believe).
Next time I come to experience the majesty of the Redwood Forest I will definitely be laying my head down at Riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Jeff D, Owner at The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Jeremy, I have to say, I'm very flattered that you enjoyed your stay with us! I appreciate your compliments on everything from the staff to our pricing, so I'll be sure to share this with the team. That said, I appreciate your feedback regarding our key machine. The machine has been updated at the front desk and we are working n the locks at the doors. Given the prolific use of mobile phones we have moved away from the mult-line phones and are using a basic phone in the rooms. I look forward to seeing you the next time you find yourself in the Redwoods!

Jackson, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

Room had soiled carpets, ants in the bathroom and terrible smelling soap and shampoo. No drinking cups in room. Desk clerk was friendly at check in but clerk at check out wasn't friendly and was irritated about my complaint about the ants. Nothing at all special about this place.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Jeff D, Owner at The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2015
I'm honestly shocked to read about your stay. Rest assured, cleanliness is our top concern, so I'd like to personally apologize if that wasn't made clear to you. The shampoo and soap are spa grade amenities and I am sorry you did not enjoy them. In an effort to reduce waste we have removed all plastic cups in the rooms but we do provide the individually wrapped cardboard cups that can be used for coffee, water or any beverage. We do have a program for unwanted pests and I do apologize that they found their way in the bathroom. We will make sure to give your room extra attention. I'd really like to make this right for you, so please feel free to give us a call at (707) 725-5500 if you'd like to discuss this further.

All my best,
Jeff Durham, Head Lumberjack

Been to The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!