“Old Rundown Motel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Stockton, California
“Old Rundown Motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Maybe I'm an amateur traveler but it shocks me the prices these old rundown motels get. Pictures were deceiving. The room was clean however the bed did not have a fitted sheet which exposed the mattress which I rather not have seen. The TV was missing the audio cable from the DirectTV box to the TV so the sound didn't work. There was no shampoo provided. The lobby smelled of mold and musk.

Housekeeping goes from room to room using a stolen shopping cart which could use some grease on the wheels.

However, it is within walking distance to Glass Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments, although I can’t condone some of the accusations you make. We take great pride in this property. While there’s always room for improvement, we’re pleased to satisfy dozens of guests every week. I sincerely apologize that your case is an exception and that we failed to satisfy you. I hope you will try us again as we’re always changing and improving.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oroville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I think it's a bit confusing to read such varying reviews - It was awful/it was great. I'm going to try to post facts instead of opinion - for the most part anyway :). I'm hoping that will help people make the decision on their own.

I did rate the property as poor, based upon what I think the average traveler is looking for in the many reviews of many hotels that I have read, and the many hotels I have stayed at. This is no "resort", to say the least. Having said that....

I'll start out with what we perceived to be the negative: As my daughter stated," the walls are softer than the beds" (she was half joking) - the wall behind the bed(s) is padded. But that's all about personal choice. The bed was comfortable for me, but not for her. On the last day of our two-day visit, I discovered that the bed frames are just two-by-fours nailed together. OK. Kind of tacky in my "opinion", but It does the job of supporting the bed. The real problem was the nail that was sticking out of one of the two-by-four braces between the box spring and the hand-made frame. Someone could cut themselves on that pretty easily. I'll post a pic if there is a way to do so. The wallpaper trim around the top perimeter of the room was in three different patterns and was falling off in some areas. The cover over the exhaust fan in the bathroom was broken and falling off as well. The switch on the lamp on the nightstand between the two queen beds was stripped and we couldn't turn it on or off. I brought a power strip because of the reviews I had read about the rooms not having enough power outlets. I was glad I did. It took us several tries the first day to get into the room with the key they give you (think of the key you use to get into your house, versus a "key" with a magnetic strip on it). I could care less what type of key I use to enter a room, but it's kind of nice to be able to enter the room on one try! LOL. The staff - I've read other reviews about how helpful and kind they were. I didn't have that experience. The two men were intimidating and impersonal - at check-in and check-out. But maybe it was me after having driven in the car for four hours with 3 of my children and one dog ;) No laundry facilities. There was an ice machine that I didn't use. Next to the ice machine was a soda machine and everything was sold out. No pool, no spa - if you are looking for those things.

The good: Cheap. Close to town, yet on the outskirts - so away from most of the traffic and noise. Close to Glass Beach, Pudding Creek, necessary amenities, and an awesome burger joint - Jenny's, I think. Inexpensive room that does the job if you are just there to sleep and shower only. It was very quiet in room 104, except for the birds making noise and scratching around in the attic, right over the shower. BUT, they quieted down at night, so that was good. I felt safe there, and that is my number ONE concern. The Wi-Fi and TV were satisfactory. The wall heater worked great and the door locked tight.

In MY opinion - this property could do some real business, if they put some effort into the little things - replacing the broken exhaust fan cover and gluing the wall paper trim - things like that. They had just finished repaving the main area of the parking lot. I guess that's supposed to attract people who are driving through without a reservation. They could really get repeat customers (again, in my opinion) if they paid a little more attention to the inside, instead of the outside.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I would - if I needed a quick getaway on the cheap. It's no four-star property, for sure, but again, my main concern is safety, and I felt safe at this property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your thorough and fair comments. We use all comments as part of our continual improvement efforts. Still, I sincerely apologize to you for any ways we fell short of meeting or exceeding your expectations. Dozens of guests every week find us to be a great combination of comfort, convenience and value, and we hope you will indeed stay with us again.

Carmichael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We found a room for our family of 6 using Booking.com and reserved 3 nights here, specifically booking the 3 queen beds in one room. It would be the perfect fit for my parents, my husband & I, and our 2 small children. Based on reading some mixed reviews, we knew the accommodations wouldn't be plush-- & we were fine with a mediocre room because we wouldn't be in the room much being that we had several outings planned. After driving 5 hours from the Sacramento area to Fort Bragg... I was fine with the registration area curry odor & unusual East Indian decor upon check-in, however, I wasn't too pleased with the unpleasant staff member that ran my card & had me sign our room forms. He didn't have a greeting/salutation/kind word to share the entire time I was in there. So, we then make our way to the room. The configuration was fine, 2 beds in one room, & another bed through an entryway- but then we realized the beds were full size, not queens as advertised. After phoning down to the office, and being told by the owner/mngr, "...no, you're wrong, those are queens", we pulled a bed back and found the tag stating it was a full & shared that with him. The mngr. then walked over to our room & gave us a key to a second room with a king sized bed for my parents. Initially, he told us we could only stay that night & we'd have to find somewhere else to stay... after my husband got really upset, being that we had no other reservations & a family of 6, the mngr. finally agreed to let us stay in the 2 rooms for all 3 nights. After the initial shock of the aged looking room, furniture, staining of walls & fabrics, the stay ended up being ok. The beds were definitely for young folks' backs-- very poor quality beds--however, the pillows were comfy. The maid service was great & all linens appeared to be clean. This place's digs aren't for the faint at heart, but it was a place to keep our things & get some shut eye.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. We use all comments in our continuous improvement efforts, and this feedback will prove to be very valuable to us. I’m sorry there was some difficulty meeting your needs, but I’m glad we were able to provide clean, comfortable and safe accommodations for you and your family. We hope you will be able to come stay with us again. We promise that we’re always improving, getting better and better every day.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We just stayed here this past weekend and like the hotel. If you are expecting a room with an amazing view or a huge breakfast, then this is not it. Our room looked out at the ocean, on a clear day you could see it. Just a few minutes from Glass Beach, not a bad walk. The room was the perfect size for just us, we had a fridge and microwave. There were 3 dressers, plenty of room for our stuff. The bathroom window was broken, but still able to be used (the spring was popped out of place). Hair dryers are available upon request from the front desk. I did read some of the reviews, the only smell we encountered was from the propane wall heater. If you are not familiar with the smell of propane, then it does come as a weird smell. The breakfast was small, but we expected that; they had danishes, muffins, toast, coffee, and orange juice. The only problem we had, noisy neighbors who yelled across the lot early in the morning. Staff was friendly each time we encountered them, the hotel does show its age; but with all the wind and salt water, plus it is an older motel; it's still not bad.

Room Tip: Just be aware not every room has a view and if it is foggy, you may not see the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Older but clean motel. Don't be put off by other reviews. This motel is a great value. The funky eclectic furniture adds some character. Propane heater was fast and quiet. Shower hot with great water pressure and flow - better than the high priced chain we stayed at two nights ago. Grounds nicely maintained with good lighting. Nice owners. Jess and Mark! Olympia, WA

• Stayed November 2013
lawrence, kansas, usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were so dissatisfied with what we found, we left one hour after check-in gladly sacrificing our $200 two-day cost for a better place. It is not "Oceanside". The ocean is several blocks away behind industrial buildings. Room was very poorly lighted with the lowest wattage fluorescent bulbs. There was no light near the desk which was an old painted small table. Office people were unfriendly and the office had a strong smell of curry which clung to my clothes. The place was noisy.
Date of check-in 10/26/13
Brad and Trish
Lawrence, Kansas

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
oceansideinnandsuite, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Oceanside Inn & Suites for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was instructed to check the light in the room assigned to you to make sure that it is now working properly.

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Oceanside Inn & Suites. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Thompson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We found this hotel just by chance browsing through hotelcoupons.com. The price was very reasonable.
Once we got there we found everything clean, up-to-date and all that one could ask for. The rooms, the reception, and the whole hotel had a really nice cultural decor. The staff was great as well. Do stay there!

Steve and Kathy
Paint Lake Manitoba Canada

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oceanside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!