“Poorly managed, overpriced rip-off” 2 of 5 stars

North Cliff Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 S Main St, Fort Bragg, CA 94593   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Northern California
“Poorly managed, overpriced rip-off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Had a last minute urge for the ocean and everywhere else was booked. Had been thinking the place might be worth a try as it looked pretty from the outside and had an obvious ocean view. Oooops. Big mistake. Should have stayed home. Place is not quite a dump-just a little shabby. They do keep it reasonably clean. The staff needs to go to elementary school for customer service. Don't even think about checking in before 4pm-big sign says go away. The room is noisy, stuffy and hard to reach. The view is pathetic. You'd think with the Pacific Ocean right there you could do better than a view of the race track. Finally, Ft. Bragg is Mendocino's hokey, but more comfortable, sister town. It is supposed to be less expensive. These folks dont know that. So..stay away.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Lodi, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

We had a beautiful stay at the North Cliff Hotel. Our room (304)was clean and comfortable. The view of the ocean and Noyo Harbor is spectacular. The layout of these rooms is well planned with the fireplace, tub, small bar area and bath. New tiled shower and bath fixtures with Bath & Bodyworks toiletries. All in excellent condition and clean, CLEAN!!!
For those complaining about the fog horn: you are at the OCEAN! This hotel is at an active harbor where people make their living working. If it is unacceptable, you would be more comfortable vacationing elsewhere. The noise was not a problem for us once the sliding door was closed. The front desk staff was very accomodating, friendly, and helpful. I have been visiting Ft Bragg for 15 years and this was the best hotel I have stayed in without a doubt. Don't hesitate, its fantastic.

Stayed June 2008
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

If you get sucked into this place because you think the location is great - be warned. If you cannot sleep because the room gets too hot and stuffy - you will be forced to open the sliding glass door leading on to a rickety balcony. The fog horn sounds off every 17 seconds and it is about 150 yards off your room. It is loud.

The room we had smelled musty and mildew could be the problem; it did not feel clean at all. The walk to a place they recommend for dinner will take you through absolute slums. You will not feel comfortable coming back at night for sure.

Wear sandals in the shower. How this place has not been sued yet is a miracle. The floor of the shower is slippery when wet.

And please don't let your kids out on the balcony. It is as flimsy as it gets.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the fog horn and slippery shower
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fair Oaks, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

April 21-23, 2008. This was our fourth stay at the North Cliff Hotel and as usual, we found it very relaxing. It did rain one day, but it was still a great day to listen to the fog horn, which, of course, is part of the Fort Bragg Harbor entrance ambience. Sand was being removed from the storage basin below the hotel, but work ceased early in the evening so there was not a noise problem. We were on the third floor so could look out to the restless ocean and not pay attention to the activity below, which actually was rather interesting. There are locations on the exterior where some maintenance is needed, but not enough to keep us from returning.

We are fortunate to be retired and take advantage of the off peak weekday AAA rates. During our next trip to Fort Bragg later in the year, we will definitely be staying at the North Cliff Hotel.

• Liked — The ocean view.
  • Disliked — No elevator.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I booked my stay with a credit card and was only going to stay one night, however I decided to stay two nights and informed them that I would like to stay another night. The next day I was locked out of my room only to find out that it was my fault that I did not have them re-activate my card (which I was not told this needed to happen) When I checked out the night before I left I decided to pay cash for the first night and with a different credit card the second night. When checking my account a few days later I noticed that this Hotel charged my first credit card instead of the one that I handed them and asked to have the second charged instead. It seemed like a simple mistake so I called and spoke with their Manager Jill. Jill informed me that I should not have booked my room with a different credit card and she was very rude when I asked her to correct this. This Manager actually yelled at her employee in front of me when they mistakenly did not re-activate my room key and I apologized to the employee the next day that her boss was so rude to her in front of me. I called back later that night and asked the employee how much they charged my account and she said it was for a total of two nights. I asked her to have the owner call me back and no phone call was returned. When I called and spoke with Jill again she stated that I intimidated her employee because I said that I would drive 4 hours to get this straightened out if this was not taken care of this weekend and I would like the owner to call me back please. On that Sunday, Jill (the manager) said that she did not want to talk to me because I was intimidating her employee. Most Hotels that I have ever stayed in would be more than Happy to look into someone's stay and help ensure that they were charged correctly and ensure that they would return to their Hotel again. This was not the case and I would not ever reccomend this Hotel to anyone wanting to stay at Fort Bragg. I am and have been in Management for over 20 years and would never treat any of my customers or employees the way Jill (the manager) treated me. As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to share my horrible experience with this hotel with all of my customers that ever take a trip to Fort Bragg. I am very disappointed that the owner would not even pick up the phone to find out what the situation was all about and why this even happened.
A very disappointed customer.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

First stay was not too bad, quirter than expected with the highway right out front, furnishings a bit seedy. Next stay went down hill rapidly with crazies up all night and making so much noise it became impossible to sleep, not to mention the ugly empty lot below the rooms where local yokels like to spin brodies late at night. Gave it one last chance recently and upon check in there was a man pitching a fit because he had been told upon reserving that he would have a smoking room. There are none. My husband had also been given erroneous info upon reservation as regards the rates but at least they honored the lower rates he had been quoted! Also, that night we were out quite late and found no parking. We had to park in a vacant lot next door and walk to our room. Not good.
After one night, we were called with a family emergency. I explained to the desk clerk that we simply had to leave immediatly, and that I fully understood that if they could not rent the room that we would be charged. Well, this being a holiday weekend, later that night when all had calmed down at home I called and asked to be put through to our room ( by rm #). Silly me, when the phone rang, even though no one answered, I assumed it had been rented. Of course, we were billed. When I contacted the manager and explained the situation, adding that it appeared to me that the desk clerk simply did not bother to note that the room was vacant. (Did I mention that this was a holiday weekend and there were no vacancies?)The manager Promised to look into the situation and PROMISED to call me back. Not a word. WILL NEVER BE BACK!!!

Stayed February 2008
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

It all started well. There were fresh cookies and coffee in the main office, huge complimentary bottles of bath salts, and assurances that "you'll find the fridge is stocked with free food all for you."

The room was large and airy with a million dollar view of the habor. The tub is large but not comfortable for two. The gas fire place puts out a great deal of heat quickly. Alas, there is loud traffic noise from the bridge so ask to stay on the side away from it. This side of the hotel featuers rusting cars and garbage behind a thin veil of trees. Also, directly below the hotel is the jetty and piles of sand and twisted metal from the dredgers. Very loud off roading was done here.

The mini- fridge was stocked with water, juices, 2 muffins, two breakfast pastries, two mini cheeses, an apple, a banana, and two chocolates. It was very nice to have food and water to snack and breakfast upon as we wished.

The furniture was past prime and showed stains and fraying. Sugar ants crawled over the tub, bathroom area, and cabinet which held the microwave, safe, and mini-fridge. A fresh coat of paint, slip covers, and a good deep cleaning would bring the room up to standards. As is, the room is stuck in the 80's and reflects the over all lack of concern for the property.

The door to the shared balcony would not lock. Both my husband and I tried to repair it repeatedly. When we called the desk, the young woman just past it off, "Oh don't worry. It's safe here. We haven't had a theft in six years." No one came to fix or look at the lock. If I had been traveling solo, this broken lock would have forced me from the room!

At 5:00 am the alarm in the room next door went off. It was followed by blaring Mexican music. The woman from two rooms down kept knocking on the door of the room next door and shouting to turn off the alram and turn down the music. The poor dear was beside herself and clearly had no sleep. A call to the desk again met with no assistance. The young women reported, "There's no one in that room. I can't understand what you guys might be hearing."

In short, it's not worth the price. Select a clear and safe place to stay.

• Liked — Great view of harbor, large room, spotted 4 whales
  • Disliked — Run down, broken lock on balcony down, ants, ants, ants
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to North Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!