“Friendly staff, GREAT sunset views, clean rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Pine Beach Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   16801 N Highway # 1, PO Box 1173, Fort Bragg, CA 95437   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
SLC
“Friendly staff, GREAT sunset views, clean rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We spent 2 nights here with 3 young children. When we arrived I wasn't sure I would be comfortable - it looks like it was decorated in the 70's. I got over it fast. Why? Because the room was HUGE & fit our 2 pack n play's, the room was clean. Outdated doesn't mean dirty. The sunset views off of our 2nd floor deck were amazing! The short walk to the beach is well worth it! Also, the lady on staff was incredibly friendly and helpful at all times.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Our family had a great time. The Inn may be older, but a short scenic path to a beautiful little beach was faboulous. It is a sandy beach, great for swimming. The rooms were clean. We loved the fact the inn was off the path and nicely landscaped. We had a great time playing tennis as well Breakfast was coffee, bagels, cereal and some fruit. I am suprised by some of the bad reviews I am reading. I paid $100 a night and it was well worth it. If you want fancy, go pay for fancy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

This hotel was the best balance of price, location and amenities for us. I booked a room same day, sight unseen after finding nothing on Expedia in the area. It's not along the crummy motel strip in Fort Bragg (which is good), but also not that close to the town of Mendocino. It's lind of out on its own. I was a little worried when I pulled up to the place and saw how motelish it was, but when I opened the patio door and saw the sun setting over the ocean between the bluffs it was heaven. Decor is old, but we found it clean (cleaner than a lot of big chain hotels I've been in recently). The cont'l breakfast was toast and coffee. We wandered down to the beach the next morning, planning to stay for a few minutes and ended up there for a lot longer, enjoying the sand, the surf and the tidepools. Before we left I made another reservation for next month.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Santa Rosa CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We were going to go to Ft. Bragg for the Whale Festival/Beer Tasting, so someone else booked this room for us. He was told I needed a room that is wheelchair accessible with a roll-in shower and emailed us that he found one at this place. Just to be certain, I called prior to confirm and the woman at the desk told me it did indeed have a roll-in shower and was very large. When we got there, first of all, there was no wheelchair access into the office. The room did have a very large bathroom, but it had a tub and shower with a very wobbly shower bench. There was no way I was even going to try to get on that. Plus, where was the roll-in shower...you could roll into the bathroom, but not the shower. Bed was awful....nowhere to put your toiletries except a high shelf above the toilet. Ridiculous! Stay away from this place...a second rate motel...not an Inn! It did have some nice landscaping, but buldings were run down and I will say it was quiet, because it is set back from the road.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Our family stayed here for leisure. I too was misled by their website. The photos on their site presented the rooms as decent. When we arrived, we were so disappointed. The property was old and needed a lot of updated. The room was old...and dark and dingy. We got one of those partial ocean view rooms. It was just disgusting. I'm amazed at how our family survived it. The room had a horrible damp smell too. I had to hold my breath the entire stay. I didn't want the kids to walk around without their shoes. We stayed a while ago...but thinking about it still has an affect on me.

The plus side is the private beach access from the property. It's nice and secluded. Very relaxing. That was the best part of the stay.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

My Family and I went up to FortBragg just to getaway from the bayarea for a weekend. It was beautiful. very sunny. The property has tennis court, which can be used,but we decided to have lunch on the beach instead. So the layout of the PBI is pretty it has one set facing the ocean and the other two facing the scenery. i would probably say its a good walk to get to the front desk.
In the rooms everything was well kept. the bathroom looked good, hot water came quick, and beds were good to sleep on. downer at night was that the TV only has a few selected channels.
overall great place to spend the weekend at. its beautiful scenery kept us entertained!! we walked down to the beach which was about 5-10 minute walk.
the staff was very nice and polite, which made it even better and the had cont. breakfast which was great on the day we left home.

• Liked — the view!!
  • Disliked — the coldness up there!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

This is a great value for a pleasant hotel in a terrific location. Our room (no. 33) was large, with two double beds, a nice view of the lawn through a sliding glass door, and very clean despite being dog friendly. The ambiance is somewhat motel-like, but in a parklike setting with a nice short walk to an attractive protected beach/cove. There were signs all around of recent landscaping, and I found the grounds pleasant. The desk staff were, with one exception (an older woman), terrific -- friendly, helpful, stayed up late to make sure we got in okay on Friday, really decent people. There is a family-run Thai restaurant on the grounds -- open for dinner -- a little more expensive than the average Thai pace, but also fresher food than the average Thai place -- I thought it was excellent (and the restaurant is nicely decorated). While those expecting a frilly b&b may be disappointed, I found it to be the perfect place to stay for a relatively inexpensive and comfortable stay by the beach. The website seemed pretty accurate to me!

• Liked — Location, value, cleanliness, large size of rooms
  • Disliked — Motel-like feel to rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pine Beach Inn? Share your experiences!