“Very cozy!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Mateo, CA
“Very cozy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

This is a rustic-looking place on the outside, and the inside is very warm and cozy. The manager adds a lot of nice touches to the decor. It was September and she had started putting out autumn colors. She also has a lovely garden in the front and back full of flowers. The breakfasts were awesome; we had huevos rancheros with mango sauce and mango sausage one morning and a strata the next. So, for a very reasonable price, we really loved this place. It was very clean as well. The only negative was that we could hear the traffic a bit on the main road (Hwy 1), but by the time 10pm rolls around there isn't much. We are light sleepers, and the traffic didn't bother us. The other plus is that it is right across the street from one of the best restaurants in the area, The Rendezvous (excellent French food). Definitely will go here again!

• Liked — Quiet, clean, and cozy.
  • Disliked — Tad bit of traffic, but it wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed at the Country Inn last week for 3 nights, Sept 7-10, 2008.

Nine years ago, my husband & I had stayed at a three bedrooms house in Little River called "Sea Stack" . We had hardly stayed-in to enjoy the "Afar" ocean view. This time, travel with next door neighbors, I had decided to try out the Country Inn B & B. I was attracted by the breakfast menu & "Be our Guest" program.

Cynthia could sound a bit unfriendly when one was trying to be clear about the cancelation & refund policy on the phone. I almost did not book our rooms with her because of her tone. In person, she was adequately warm & friendly. I admired her efficiency for keeping a clean & charming inn.

I had warned my party to expect & tolerate a staled silly old house. It had turned out so great. The facade was like a house in a story book surrounded by flowers. I had walked blocks of Main street one late afternoon, found the Country Inn & the Guest House Museum were two of the most beautiful landmark (in my opinion).

Our rooms were the Pomo Sunrise & the one across from it for our friends (something Sunset). Both rooms were located in the back, so, no noise from street. Rooms were small but cozy en-suites. We had Portugal Toasts (French Toasts with warm sliced peach syrup) one morning & excellent Huevo Ranchino( Quiche without pie crust) the next day. They came with coffee/tea & orange juice. The breakfasts were presented beautifully. Regretted that we had to leave early the third day without breakfast. Also no time to explore the hot tub.

Be aware, Cynthia's "restaurant menu basket" was out dated. Some of them no longer existed, others...add at least a third of price to each item at Silver's by the Wharf.

If one did not want "surprise", go to Denny up street. A pleasant surprise at a few blocks south, the New Best Buffet served inexpensive, almost authentic Chinese food plus sushi, salad & fresh fruits. All these unlimited food for a mere $6.95( lunch), 10.95 (dinner & all day Sunday). I loved their fried chicken wings, stir fried baby octopus, stir fried steamer clams, Garlicky Fried Rice!!!! Do plan to visit the Northern California coastal towns & eat at New Best Buffet in Ft. Bragg ASAP. The price it charging, this restaurant won't last for long.

• Liked — Free wireless if needed
  • Disliked — Earliest breakfast at 8:30am, kind of late to start a day.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

We had never stayed in a B&B and were not quite sure what to expect. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the Country Inn. The Inn is located right on Highway 1, about two blocks from the main downtown area and North Coast Brewery, where we had dinner and walked back (great beer!). We stayed in “Granny’s Attic” which had a very comfy bed underneath a large window and also had a clawfoot tub in the bathroom, which was fun (but no hand-held shower attachment so be prepared to take a full-on bath in the morning!). There is a hot tub on the deck that you can use whenever you like and we used it without having to share with any other guests. It felt really good to be in the hot tub with Fort Bragg’s cold coastal air (even in August!). In the morning, a great breakfast of quiche, juice and coffee was brought to our room. Our stay was very cozy and the owner, Cynthia, was very nice and friendly, but also gave us our privacy. It seemed like a great B&B if you are looking for a little privacy along with the comforts of home, as we did not run into any other guests and it was easy to choose how much you interacted with other people in the house. It was a good first time B&B experience and we would stay there again!

• Liked — The privacy and outdoor hot tub!
  • Disliked — Probably just the town of Fort Bragg, which doesn't have much to do.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

Pros: Very clean. Friendly hostess. Breakfast quality was best of trip. Fees were extremely reasonable. Room was spacious.

Con: Breakfast was slightly skimpy. We did not need it but there is no A/C. Bathroom is somewhat small but very functional.

• Liked — Clean and Comfy
  • Disliked — Basic
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

We were two couples and both were most happy with our accommodations. We stayed in the Summertime room which had a king sized bed. It was so comfortable that I am now unhappy with my own mattress. The other couple stayed in Spring Promise and were also very comfortable.

Our room was large and airy. The only drawback was that it is right on the street. This did no bother us at all, but might be a problem for some people. Both of our rooms had full baths with shower. The other room was in the back on the bottom floor close to the door to the parking lot--which was a boon to the couple who occupied it.

We found our hostess to be friendly and helpful. The gardens are lovely and she is very proud of them. Her breakfasts were very nice and well seasoned with, I suspect, fresh herbs. We had artichoke with a baked egg on top and rosemary baked potato cubes and toast the first morning and a wonderful Spanish omelet the next served with fruit and tortillas the next. We had orange juice both mornings.

This B & B is a great value and a very pleasant stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness and comfort
  • Disliked — Steep stairs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

I honestly haven't stayed there (but was forced to put in a date). I made a reservation two months in advance. Their website stated they have a 7 day cancellation policy - no fee was mentioned. I confirmed the cancellation policy with her over the phone at the time of booking and understood her to say that a fee would be charged if I canceled after the 7 day date. (She rattled off the policies quickly, but told me not to worry because she would send it all in an email). Less than two days after booking my plans were changed and I called to cancel the reservation. The lady told me she would charge a $25 processing fee. When I checked my email her confirmation stated it was any time BEFORE that date. However, that was sent after the reservation was made. I was specifically avoiding booking with a place that charged such a fee because I knew my plans were not definite at this point. When I tried to reason with her, she was very rude and inflexible with me (I also found her to be rather cold and impersonal when I booked, which should have been my first clue). I wish I'd read these reviews before I did so.

Stayed June 2008
disappointedrm521
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

When we arrived at the Inn, the owner was not present. We saw an envelope with our name on it to help ourselves into the Inn. There was also a letter in the envelope stating to sign up for breakfast if we chose to do so. We had the option of having breakfast at either 8:30 am or 9:15 am and it was available in the dining room or could be ordered to our room. We did not get a choice in the breakfast, but we were okay with being suprised!

We easily found our room and settled in. It was very convenient. We rested for a while, signed up for breakfast, then headed out to the glass beach. We had lunch earlier at the Cap. Flints Restaurant--the fish is excellent here--we highly recommend it...it also provides an ocean view as the restaurant is on the wharf. We also saw the Botanical Gardens prior to checking in and we highly recommend this. The flowers and ocean view is breathtaking! We also enjoyed collecting sea glass at the glass beach--not your typical beach, but a neat experience all the same when you see beautiful pieces of green, red, clear, and if you are lucky blue pieces of glass on the beach.

The room at the inn was clean and cozy. There was no television or phone in the room, but my husband and I did not mind this. There was a phone in the dining room. The room was nice and quiet. My husband and I have stayed at many hotels where it did not feel homey...this inn had a feeling like you were just at home.
The bed was hard, which my husband loved and I slept pretty well as well. The bathroom was small, but was suitable since we were only spending one night and since the rate was excellent.

My husband and I stayed in the Chantilly Room at the Country Inn. The cost for the room was only $99 and that includes all of the taxes and breakfast in the morning! The location was great---we had dinner reservations at the Rendezvous Restaurant across the street so we were able to just walk across the street for dinner. By the way, we were told that the Rendezvous Restaurant was the most up scale restaurant in Fort Bragg and it was quiet, small, and elegant inside. The restaurant was a little pricy, but we really enjoyed our time there.

We had breakfast in the dining room the next morning...it was orange juice, french toast, apples, and grapes. It was okay, but not spectacular. The owner was pleasant while serving us hot breakfast.

When we asked about checking out, we were told we didn't need to check out. We left the room keys on the counter and the owner told us to have a nice day. We were not asked if we had a nice stay, but we did have a nice stay!

We went to the MacKerricher State Park after checking out---excellent views of the coast here---highly recommend it. We then had lunch at Silvers at the Wharf Restaurant at the wharf that offered a view of the coast as well. The food was pretty good here as well.

We would stay at this inn again because of the great room rate and pleasant experience we had during this stay.

• Liked — felt like home
  • Disliked — breakfast could have been better.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Country Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!