“Ocean front lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Santa Rosa, California
“Ocean front lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Clean,friendly,family owned motel,older but well maintained.Small semi private balcony (no privacy from your neighbor),close to downtown area,awesome views and convenient for walking along the bluff,challenging to take a steep sandy path to the beach below.However many were able to navigate it ( just not me) and play on the beach.Average complementary breakfast with limited sitting room in the lobby. I recommend bringing the tray from your room and eating outside or in your room.

Room Tip: Second floor is best for privacy, lots of foot traffic outside first floor rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review, robertamac9! I am very happy that you enjoyed the views and walking trail. The path directly to the beach is a bit steep but there is a longer alternative route which is easier to navigate. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Belmont, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The location of this motel is exactly what you would hope. You look out of your window to a stunning view of the beach and sea. We booked a three queen suite for a family of five, which worked well and had a good layout. Check-in was welcoming and easy, as was check-out. The room was comfortable and the views amazing. Breakfast is provided in the office area, so a little cramped, but we took our coffee, Danish and bagels back to the room where we had more space. Breakfast was typical motel continental, so adequate but not great.
We noticed some guests barbecuing on the first floor deck, so that can be a nice option for dinner. Not sure if the grills are available to all or only to those with rooms facing this deck. Might be worth checking if that's what you want to do.
Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much, Frances V, for your great review! I am so glad that we were exactly what you hoped for! The grills you mentioned are on a ground level patio called the Mate's Deck. There is also a Captain's Deck on the second floor at the south end of the motel with numerous grills as well. Both of these decks are open for all guests to enjoy. We hope to welcome you back to Fort Bragg soon!
Cottonwood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I booked the king jacuzzi room, and were given a room directly above the lobby/breakfast area. When we entered our room it was very stuffy and had a strange odor so we opened up the sliding door and left it open all night, hoping to air out the room. The room was nice, and the view was beautiful! There is also a nice large double shower in the bathroom. After returning from dinner we tried to turn on the fireplace, but could not figure it out. We then started to run the jacuzzi, but I was worried about our neighbors being able to hear it through the thin walls, as we were able to hear them talking, and later on, snoring all night. The room remained warm throughout the night, and there was no AC to cool it down...needless to say I had a very restless sleep. I would have loved to sleep in the next morning but the noise from people eating breakfast downstairs and checking out woke us up early...again, thin walls and being above the lobby. My husband and I left for the day and returned at 6:00 p.m., and our room had not been cleaned. We told the front desk, and the cleaning staff finally gave us a few new towels and made our bed. I don't mean to sound snobby, but when we are paying about $600 for two nights, I expect my room to be cleaned at a decent hour.
The front desk staff was very friendly, the locations is great - just a short walk to the beach and cliffs with beautiful views.
I'm not sure that I would stay here again - loved the location, but when we are paying that much for a hotel room I'd like to feel like I have privacy, and that I don't have to remind the staff to clean my room.

Room Tip: I would choose a second floor room, just because the lower room look out onto a bike/walking path, a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you MeriNan81 for giving us a review! I’m so glad that you liked our location, although I’m sorry about your room not being cleaned on time. In the summer we do get quite busy, but you are right that 6:00pm is too late and I apologize for that. I’m sorry that you feel that the room was not very private; in the summer we often fill up all the rooms because when you have views as beautiful as ours everyone else wants to be here too! I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit - we will be looking forward to welcoming you back!
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We found this hotel after deciding we could not go any further down the coast highway due to a long day down the coast from Brookings, OR! Our original destination was Petaluma to stay with my cousin. After deciding we couldn't make it, I started looking at the map, not being familiar with the area at all, to me Ft. Bragg was pretty much our only option if we wanted to continue our goal of driving the whole coast highway from OR and down the CA coast. What a find as we had not planned on staying here. I had reservations our whole trip, but not this time. We drove thru town and back again, and decided to go into the Beachcomber. They were so nice, it was rather late, 7 or so, they had just one or two rooms left, we got the honeymoon suite for a bit of a discount.The front desk person was so nice, he truly was concerned about our well being (my daughter and I), he told us we were wise to have stopped and not try to go any further on the 1 that night. The room was so clean and comfy. The balcony wonderful with the ocean so close. We didn't have time to fully enjoy it as we had to be up early the next day to continue our journey. He told us if we wanted to get something to eat we better go before 8 as the town pretty much shuts down. What a lovely place. Oh, and you have to read the history about the place that is in the room. What a great story.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much Josie06 for your wonderful review! We love to hear that our guests have had a 5/5 quality stay! I am very pleased to hear that your visit with us was so enjoyable. It’s especially nice to hear how helpful you found our staff and I will be sure to pass your compliments on to them. I'm also glad that you got a chance to read the hotel's back story, which is very heartwarming. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay!
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

A wonderful location to get away and sit by the ocean. Watch the gorgeous sunsets. I loved that the ocean is right out your door. Immaculate room and friendly people. This is privately owned and definitely not a chain. We'll be back; definitely a repeat location for us...

Room Tip: Downstairs has direct beach access from your patio door.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you so much Ardith Q, for your wonderful review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg for your next ocean-side stay!
Curtice, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

As a non-chain hotel, the place is a winner from the get go, but the location simply puts it over the top. The ocean views and beach access right outside of your hotel door make for the perfect opportunity to explore and enjoy the area. The rooms were very clean and the staff friendly. The spa treatment was very nice as well. The breakfast can become crowded in the small lobby so be prepared to get there early but overall this was an outstanding stay for a nights stopover. Very family friendly!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for the great review, PfeiffersOnTheGo! I’m so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and our location. We always aim to be a winner! I’m also glad to hear that you got a chance to enjoy our spa. We hope you and your family will be back for a visit again soon!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We come every year, this time we stayed for a week. This time I rented a bike and rode it down the haul road. Helmet included, 8 bucks an hour, max 35. No extra charge to park your car, no extra charge for wifi. Walk into town and visit Egghead for breakfast, or the cowlick for ice cream, or eat at the restaurant on Laurel street near the train depot. Go to Mendocino and have lunch at the hotel. And we actually saw penguins (!) on one of the islands off Mendocino. Walk the ten mile haul road and you can see seals, sometimes deer. The view from the Beachcomber is the best anywhere. The room very comfortable. The staff very nice.

Room Tip: stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Dr. Sam Platts for your fantastic review. We love to know when our guests have had a 5/5 stay with us. You also mention some great things to do and places to go in the area, as well as the beautiful wildlife - pelicans, deer and seals are common but still exciting sights on this part of the coast. I want to thank you for your loyal patronage as well as your numerous reviews for our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you enjoy your stays so much that you come back every year and share your good experiences with others. We are looking forward to your next Fort Bragg visit!
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!