“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, California
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place is all about the location. It was clean and with a king bed, it was spacious enough for the 2 of us. It would be tight with 2 queens and 4 people. The toilet and shower are in a small separate room with the sink area in-room. The continental breakfast was OK, but there is almost nowhere to sit, so be prepared to take your breakfast to the deck (if it is warm enough outside) or back to your room. We had a second floor room (which I specifically requested when I made the reservation) and we had a great view of the beach and ocean. The downstairs rooms would be good for people with pets and/or kids. In short, the room was nothing special, but the view can't be beat!

Room Tip: If you can manage the stairs, go for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you DianeinDublin for your great review! It’s wonderful to hear that you loved our views and I’m glad that you were satisfied with your room. We are indeed lucky enough to have some of Fort Bragg’s best views, and are still walking distance from downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back to our wonderful location!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room was beautiful until you looked closer... Apparently it was a pet friendly room because when we checked in, there was dog food scattered across the floor, as well as some sort of blue pills spilled in the kitchen (might I add that I had a small child with us who found these pills) The sink in our room was totally clogged (im sure the maid would have noticed if she would have actually cleaned our room). We stayed 2 nights, so when we left for the day, we went down to tell the front desk about the clogged sink and to tell them that our room was ready to be cleaned. We left the maid a nice tip, in hopes that she would clean our room right this time... The tip was taken but the floor was still filthy! Come on people.. Do you not notice all of the stuff on the carpet? The sink was unclogged when we came back though:) When we checked out, we informed the lady about the condition on the room, and she just looked at us like we had said nothing at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you trvlgrl911 for taking the time to leave us a review. I am truly sorry about what happened with your room. We take this information very seriously and have talked to all of our housekeepers about it. We want to assure you that it is never our policy to rent a room that is not cleaned to our highest quality standards. I hope that in the future we will be able to welcome you back to Fort Bragg.
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had a downstairs view room which was ok. We were looking mostly at the people walking by as the room is a few steps lower than the sidewalk. Don't get me wrong, you can see the ocean ... just not real well. If I were to go back I would opt for an upstairs room for a better view over the walk way and head lands ... plus you don't have to listen to people walking around above you. They had a great breakfast layout with bagels, pastries, fruit, yogurt, boiled eggs, juice, coffee & tea. The motel is right on the PCH so it was a great location since we were driving all the way up the coast. Mendocino is not too far south, the drive thru tree is not too far north and there is horse back riding very close by ... so there is plenty to do. Over all I would recommend it and would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you Crystal M, for your great review! I'm very pleased to hear that you liked our breakfast spread - we've worked hard to ensure that we provide a variety of foods to appeal to all our guests. It is true that the Coastal Trail behind the hotel has many pedestrians, but when you are in a great location like the Beachcomber, with attractions like the beach, walking trail, and beautiful views, everyone else wants to be there too! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope we will be able to welcome you back very soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here one night in mid-July with a family of five, in a three-Queen room. Fitted fairly well, but just.

The room was clean, spacious and we had a great view over the beach on the second floor. Plenty of outlets! :D Check-in gentlemen were very nice and gave a great restaurant recommendation!

Two things that bothered us were first: the loudness of other guests (a large family on a deck) well past the 'quiet-time' set by the motel. It's nothing the motel has 100% control over, but some kind of supervision would be appreciated, since we had to be up at 6 the next day.
Second: the one room for one night was well over $200, and we did not think it was really worth it. Not even for the location. So keep that in mind when making a reservation.

Besides those two points...great place, and still a recommended motel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review, Carolus V! I’m so glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and that your room had sufficient outlets. In this device-driven modern age, we know that outlets are a very important factor in rooms.
I’m sorry to hear that your neighboring guests were noisy. Our front desk staff are always happy to help you have a better stay by asking others to be more quiet or any similar consideration. We endeavor to keep noise minimal at night so we have our personnel ready 24 hours a day to intervene when noise becomes too much. We look forward to welcoming you back to lovely Fort Bragg!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel was our 3rd spot on a trip from LA to Portland. I promised my family a room with in-room fireplace and hot tubs as was advertised on their website. What I found for $215 per night was a non air-conditioned room that had no fireplace or hot tub. When I called to say that I didn't think this was the room I paid for, I was told, "this is an old hotel, 40 years old and you have the last room available so we can't switch you." "leave the sliding glass door open for air and I promise you will be safe." Note to self...ask more questions before booking. I did leave the sliding glass door open to cool the 80 degree room and my son asked what the smell was coming in to the room. Upon looking outside, I saw a man walking his dog and smoking California's newest cash crop, now blowing into my room. The hotel did warn me that after 9pm is "quiet time" so I cursed in a whisper. To their credit, when I complained about the website advertisement and my room rate, they reduced it to $126 for the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you paulfla1 for taking the time to give us a review. I’m sorry that you felt the website was misleading - we do our best to outline all the amenities of each particular type of room, but with 15 different types of rooms, I know it can get confusing. It’s true that we do not have air-conditioners; normally the Pacific coastal breezes do the job for us, but I’m sorry your visit seemed to coincide with an unusual heat wave. The summer is a very popular time for vacationing in Fort Bragg and it is not unusual for us to sell out of rooms completely. This does make it difficult when, in cases such as yours, a guest requests to change rooms and we simply have no empty rooms to give them. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Fort Bragg again!
Rocklin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have stayed at the Beachcomber multiple times and have always enjoyed our stay, and especially the views. This time we booked for the weekend of the 4th of July and decided to splurge and get a king jacuzzi room. The room was very nice as was the view...but the location of it being right above the office/lobby stunk!!! People coming and going from morning til late at night in and out of the lobby right under our balcony. Teenagers hanging out til late at night under our balcony and then into the lobby. Maintenance guys and other employees taking breaks and hanging out right below to the side of our balcony and smoking. We like to sleep with the slider open and the screen shut and listen to the ocean. The screen didn't lock, which didn't bother me the first night as the lady in the room/balcony next to us the first night was very nice. The second night at around 11:30pm we heard lots of noise coming up the stairs to our room and in the small hallway and then it was like a heard of teenagers were in the next room. Screaming, yelling, slamming doors,running their jacuzzi at 1am...etc. We actually thought maybe it was the same teens who were hanging below our room earlier/ or maybe staff members. We paid over $600.00 for two nights stay....and ended up locking our balcony door and feeling very uneasy about the tenants in the next room. I'm sure we will come back one day....but not for a long long long long time!

• Stayed July 2014
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much, BakerGirl1, for writing us a review. I’m very sorry to hear that your stay was so noisy. The Fourth of July weekend is a very popular time in Fort Bragg, when all the hotels fill up with people from near and far, and everyone is ready to celebrate. It makes this time of year very fun but not particularly peaceful. We do, however, endeavor to keep noise minimal after 10:00pm so we have front desk personnel ready 24 hours a day to intervene when noise becomes too much. Front desk staff are always happy to help you have a better stay by asking others to be more quiet or smoke further away or any similar consideration. We look forward to your next visit and we hope it won’t be too long before you stay with us again!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Our favorite getaway near Mendocino with large rooms, ocean views and sounds all day and night long, great staff, great amenities, walkable to downtown Fort Bragg with good food!!
We will always return to stay here!
Bring your bikes or use their's, the path along the ocean is right outside your room!

Room Tip: Second story for best views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much labambita for your wonderful review! I'm so glad to hear that we are your favorite Mendocino getaway! We definitely look forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg; we'll keep the bikes ready for you!
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!