“Great location, busy walkway makes it a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars

The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 N. Main St., Fort Bragg, CA 95437   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Merritt Island, Florida
“Great location, busy walkway makes it a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had a downstairs view room which was ok. We were looking mostly at the people walking by as the room is a few steps lower than the sidewalk. Don't get me wrong, you can see the ocean ... just not real well. If I were to go back I would opt for an upstairs room for a better view over the walk way and head lands ... plus you don't have to listen to people walking around above you. They had a great breakfast layout with bagels, pastries, fruit, yogurt, boiled eggs, juice, coffee & tea. The motel is right on the PCH so it was a great location since we were driving all the way up the coast. Mendocino is not too far south, the drive thru tree is not too far north and there is horse back riding very close by ... so there is plenty to do. Over all I would recommend it and would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you Crystal M, for your great review! I'm very pleased to hear that you liked our breakfast spread - we've worked hard to ensure that we provide a variety of foods to appeal to all our guests. It is true that the Coastal Trail behind the hotel has many pedestrians, but when you are in a great location like the Beachcomber, with attractions like the beach, walking trail, and beautiful views, everyone else wants to be there too! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope we will be able to welcome you back very soon!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here one night in mid-July with a family of five, in a three-Queen room. Fitted fairly well, but just.

The room was clean, spacious and we had a great view over the beach on the second floor. Plenty of outlets! :D Check-in gentlemen were very nice and gave a great restaurant recommendation!

Two things that bothered us were first: the loudness of other guests (a large family on a deck) well past the 'quiet-time' set by the motel. It's nothing the motel has 100% control over, but some kind of supervision would be appreciated, since we had to be up at 6 the next day.
Second: the one room for one night was well over $200, and we did not think it was really worth it. Not even for the location. So keep that in mind when making a reservation.

Besides those two points...great place, and still a recommended motel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review, Carolus V! I’m so glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and that your room had sufficient outlets. In this device-driven modern age, we know that outlets are a very important factor in rooms.
I’m sorry to hear that your neighboring guests were noisy. Our front desk staff are always happy to help you have a better stay by asking others to be more quiet or any similar consideration. We endeavor to keep noise minimal at night so we have our personnel ready 24 hours a day to intervene when noise becomes too much. We look forward to welcoming you back to lovely Fort Bragg!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel was our 3rd spot on a trip from LA to Portland. I promised my family a room with in-room fireplace and hot tubs as was advertised on their website. What I found for $215 per night was a non air-conditioned room that had no fireplace or hot tub. When I called to say that I didn't think this was the room I paid for, I was told, "this is an old hotel, 40 years old and you have the last room available so we can't switch you." "leave the sliding glass door open for air and I promise you will be safe." Note to self...ask more questions before booking. I did leave the sliding glass door open to cool the 80 degree room and my son asked what the smell was coming in to the room. Upon looking outside, I saw a man walking his dog and smoking California's newest cash crop, now blowing into my room. The hotel did warn me that after 9pm is "quiet time" so I cursed in a whisper. To their credit, when I complained about the website advertisement and my room rate, they reduced it to $126 for the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you paulfla1 for taking the time to give us a review. I’m sorry that you felt the website was misleading - we do our best to outline all the amenities of each particular type of room, but with 15 different types of rooms, I know it can get confusing. It’s true that we do not have air-conditioners; normally the Pacific coastal breezes do the job for us, but I’m sorry your visit seemed to coincide with an unusual heat wave. The summer is a very popular time for vacationing in Fort Bragg and it is not unusual for us to sell out of rooms completely. This does make it difficult when, in cases such as yours, a guest requests to change rooms and we simply have no empty rooms to give them. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Fort Bragg again!
Rocklin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Beachcomber multiple times and have always enjoyed our stay, and especially the views. This time we booked for the weekend of the 4th of July and decided to splurge and get a king jacuzzi room. The room was very nice as was the view...but the location of it being right above the office/lobby stunk!!! People coming and going from morning til late at night in and out of the lobby right under our balcony. Teenagers hanging out til late at night under our balcony and then into the lobby. Maintenance guys and other employees taking breaks and hanging out right below to the side of our balcony and smoking. We like to sleep with the slider open and the screen shut and listen to the ocean. The screen didn't lock, which didn't bother me the first night as the lady in the room/balcony next to us the first night was very nice. The second night at around 11:30pm we heard lots of noise coming up the stairs to our room and in the small hallway and then it was like a heard of teenagers were in the next room. Screaming, yelling, slamming doors,running their jacuzzi at 1am...etc. We actually thought maybe it was the same teens who were hanging below our room earlier/ or maybe staff members. We paid over $600.00 for two nights stay....and ended up locking our balcony door and feeling very uneasy about the tenants in the next room. I'm sure we will come back one day....but not for a long long long long time!

• Stayed July 2014
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much, BakerGirl1, for writing us a review. I’m very sorry to hear that your stay was so noisy. The Fourth of July weekend is a very popular time in Fort Bragg, when all the hotels fill up with people from near and far, and everyone is ready to celebrate. It makes this time of year very fun but not particularly peaceful. We do, however, endeavor to keep noise minimal after 10:00pm so we have front desk personnel ready 24 hours a day to intervene when noise becomes too much. Front desk staff are always happy to help you have a better stay by asking others to be more quiet or smoke further away or any similar consideration. We look forward to your next visit and we hope it won’t be too long before you stay with us again!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Our favorite getaway near Mendocino with large rooms, ocean views and sounds all day and night long, great staff, great amenities, walkable to downtown Fort Bragg with good food!!
We will always return to stay here!
Bring your bikes or use their's, the path along the ocean is right outside your room!

Room Tip: Second story for best views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much labambita for your wonderful review! I'm so glad to hear that we are your favorite Mendocino getaway! We definitely look forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg; we'll keep the bikes ready for you!
Santa Maria, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My adult daughter and I spent two nights at the Beachcomber. I was glad to get a downstairs room so we did not have to haul our luggage upstairs. However - be advised that there is NO privacy on the downstairs rooms patios. There is a very low wall dividing your patio from your neighbor's. Now I understand that some travelers enjoy interacting, but others of us prefer our privacy. On top of that, directly in front of the patios is a public walkway. So not only are other hotel guests privy to what is going on in your room and on your patio, but so is the public. Yes, you can close the drapes. But doesn't that defeat the purpose of a beachfront property? Also, there is no direct access to the beach from the rooms. There are beaten paths that will take you to the edge of the cliff, but no stairs down to the beach. Or if there are, no one at the front desk shared that information. The room itself was clean. At least for our first night. When we returned after 3 p.m. on our second day, our room had not been made up. And housekeeping never did show up, so we reused our towels and slept in unmade beds. Our two trash cans were full. Lastly, the smoke detector went off at 10:41 at night. Not a fun thing to be awakened by! The very best part of the motel is the lovely view, if you can put up with the lack of privacy. And the location was very handy to downtown Fort Bragg and the restaurants and activities available there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much Stuffinmama for giving us a review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the location although I'm sorry that you didn't feel that you had adequate privacy - when you are in a great location like the Beachcomber, with attractions like the beach and walking trail, everyone else wants to be there too!
At check-in, we try to provide all of our guests with as much information as possible about the hotel conveniences and local attractions but there is so much to mention and summer is so busy that we often don't have the time to volunteer all the information. However, all of our staff members are more than happy to answer guest questions and tell or show guests anything they would like to know. There are stairs down to the beach, located a few yards from the Captain's Deck on the south end of the building.
I am very saddened to hear that your room was not serviced on the second day and I will definitely look into that. If you ever encounter this problem again, you can always just call the front desk and they will be happy to send someone to do your room as quickly as possible.
We hope that you will visit us again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We love the Beachcomber. It has great beach and ocean views from upstairs; immediate access to the walking trail; and close enough to walk to Glass Beach and town. We always stay here when we visit Ft. Bragg (a great North Coast town with lots to do).

Room Tip: Upstairs on the south end of the motel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you Don and Retta H for such a great review! It is wonderful to hear that we are your number one choice in Fort Bragg. It sounds like you take full advantage of our walking distance proximity to so many great local spots. Walking is such a great way to great around Fort Bragg because there is so much natural beauty to take in and it just goes by so fast when driving. We are definitely looking forward to your next Beachcomber visit!
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!