“Stay away from this place!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Jose, California
“Stay away from this place!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I felt so bad for not taking heed on all the negative reviews about this place. We tried it out of curiosity and we got burned pretty bad. Almost all the dishes we had that night were salty. The Padthai was mediocre, and we were charged $25 for that. The service sucked. Overall, dining in this trying-hard restaurant didn't do justice to the money we paid for. She tried to position herself as a top-notch restaurateur/chef, but she simply failed to deliver.

Pls stay away from this place, or you'll be sorry.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida
“UNIQUE RESTAURANT SERVES GOURMET THAI FOOD IN FORT BRAG,DELICIOUS......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Last week I was visiting friends at their home in Wilderness close to the coastal highway,I cooked for three days straight and opted to pick up more groceries in Fort Brag a drive of about forty minutes from our inland location.We all wanted something spicy and I needed a break, my friends mentioned NITS CAFE for dinner and that the food was prepared and served by the lady owner Khun Nit which in Thai means small.............................................

We arrived on main street and I saw the cafe for the first time wedged between two other shops,the door and a small window to the street.Upon entering it was small really small,set with tables and chairs in a narrow area with a sign saying capacity was only 26 and the kitchen was directly ahead with a large counter pass through,the rest of the decor was very minimal.A table with four people another with three and three of us seemed to excite the character of the lady owner Miss Nit who welcomed us royally.

I speak enough Thai to be understood and greeted her with closed hands and a few phrases,she was thrilled and skipped around us and her other guests reciting what was on the menu she had not got but this is what she could cook instead.Roast lamb in a spicy source with saute veggies,Pad Thai noodles with Jumbo Shrimp,a meal size curried Chicken soup,Fresh Salmon with veggies in a Red curry source and about another five options.She talked to all of us finding out mild or spicy preferences and returned dancing from the kitchen with fairly loud disco music from the seventies very noticeable in the background.Back and forth she came until all the orders where served and more of her commentary,chatter jokes,songs and swaying hips.Unorthodox but great fun to be there.

The food came as it was cooked and not in any particular order,a dish or two to this table here,another dish there,all cooked and served by her multitasking to a premium.She asked me to go close to the kitchen and could I open another guests wine and maybe give everyone a free glass of white wine as this was the only wine to hand,she smiled,I smiled and everybody had a degree of participation.To top off some of the dishes a large handful of basil with other greens was presented tableside.The cafe is so small all of her guests including ourselves got to know each other very quickly and a great time was had by us all.

To locals she is well known for her culinary skills and even here off season there is enough regulars to support her business,but only just enough.I learned that when she opened initially her enthusiasm extended to a menu of more than ten pages with almost unlimited choices of main courses.Due in part to the location it was difficult for her to secure reliable servers,dish washer and an assistant to do prep work.In most cases the staff were unreliable and she had to downgrade the menu to the current few dishes.
Originally a noted Sous Chef for some big name restaurants she felt the desire to go alone and is now struggling to cook,serve,prepare and to charm all her guests with a warm welcome and delicious food.An incredible task for one person......................................

If you are a snob and require pomp and ceremony,this place is not for you,but if you go with a taste for some fabulous cooking,prepared to help out a bit and can join in the activities then go like us................eat well,be entertained and support this wonderful lady and her tiny business.The experience is unique in every way,I am smitten and next time I am in the area this is where I want to eat.If you are open minded,go and try it......................

• Visited August 2011