“Excellent Hotel in a pricey area” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Excellent Hotel in a pricey area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is very nice, but is expensive. I agree that there are probably cheaper hotels in the area, but this place is modern and the breakfast is excellent. The staff were friendly but were not informed about construction on highway 20 so we spent an excruciatingly long time upon leaving for our next destination.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid a bit of highway noise, pay extra and get the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
sonoma county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a typical HI Ex and it has all the features we have come to expect from the group. BUT, for Fort Bragg - less expensive accommodation could probably be found. Rooms - clean and quiet. Housekeeping service - excellent. Breakfast - excellent, and the Coffee & Cookies continued for most of the day. I questioned the Rewards Program - and was told that in order to gain points for my stay, I must make my reservation through Priority Club.com, IF I make it with HI Ex direct there are NO POINTS awarded. Oh well! small print, I guess.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the building look over a beautiful valley, are very quiet & you can still p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent a few days in the Fort Bragg area and selected the Holiday Inn Express for several reasons: exercise room and swimming pool, breakfast included, and reasonable price (for this area). Our room was very comfortable and clean and reasonably quiet. Half of the hotel rooms face Highway 20 and half face "a view" for which there is a surcharge. We did not select a view room (since we spend little time sitting in the room looking out the window). We were aware of traffic sounds from Highway 20 but it was not very loud or bothersome. Perhaps it is because we live in a large city and are used to noises. In any event, the noise was not sufficient to affect our sleep. The "view" (as seen from the breakfast room) is of a forest in a small canyon where a creek is approaching the ocean. In the distance you can see the Highway 1 bridge over the creek and beyond that the ocean. It is not a spectacular view but is certainly pleasant. I assume that rooms facing the view will not hear any traffic noise at all.

Breakfast was very nice every day, offering a wide range of dishes both hot and cold.I was impressed with the fact they never ran out of anything being offered, particularly on our last morning when we came in just 10 minutes before breakfast service ended. My one "complaint" would be the presence of a pancake machine (vs. a waffle maker). It is clever to have a machine dispense pancakes but it accomplishes this by cooking them on both sides at the same time. That works for waffles but it produces a rubbery pancake. However, so much else is offered for breakfast that you really can't go wrong. If you enjoy good pancakes I would avoid the pancake maker.

We were especially impressed with housekeeping at this hotel. Our schedule varied greatly; sometimes we would only be out a short while before returning to our room. Our room was always finished when we returned.

My only negative comment about the hotel is that two of the three exterior doors would not open with our key card. They weren't working with any cards. We were told that maintenance was on it but on our 4th day they still did not work. It was not a very long walk to the hotel entrance or the one exterior door that did work, but it was a slight annoyance.

I appreciated the exercise room (I do daily treadmill workouts) and both my wife and I enjoyed the nice indoor pool and spa. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The view rooms do not face the highway and will likely be more quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Upland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Be careful of this place. They will not return phone calls to correct the error on the name registered to the room. The hotel staff made an error on the name and will not honor the REWARDS due to my name not on the bill. I was there with my family and paid the room with my credit card and signed it. They some how put my wife's name on it and will not credit me with the nights stay. The Corporate office of H.I. express replies with generic emails that they can not do anything and it is up to the manager at Fort Bragg to call you. I have never heard from the manager as of yet and the corporate emails state that the Manager will call me. This location is also over priced compared to other Holiday Inn Express. I stayed at other Holiday Inn Express locations that were brand new and the rates were $60.00 less than at Fort Bragg. Never stay here ever again !!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sierra Madre, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This Best Western Loyalist has been checking out the competition lately among what I call the mid-range hotels. This was our first stay at a Holiday Inn Express and we were impressed. It's not a seaside resort or a destination, but more a place to hang your hat for a night or two while you see the sights. Staff is a big deal to me and the front desk lady did not disappoint. The chocolate chip cookies in the lobby were a temptation (yes, I had a couple). Our room was nice and on my "would you walk barefoot in this room" scale it was a 7 out of 10. Very clean. Bathroom is modern and roomy. The bed was very comfortable and the air worked fine. We were in the front of the building and there was some highway noise. Breakfast was typical of this range of accommodation and I appreciate being able to "eat and run" without having to search for a restaurant nearby. The coffee is great, one of my priorities. It's just fine for a night or two before you head back out on the road to continue your trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the building for minimum highway noise.
Godalming, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We chose this hotel because we wanted to make sure we got something of a certain standard, and that is what we got. The hotel is modern and the room large and clean. However it has very little character.

Stayed September 2012
San Jose, Calif.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed here before and have been very happy with the accommodations. We paid a little extra for the creek view. The view is actually a canyon filled with trees and shrubs and plants. Typical of the area. We could see down the canyon all of the way to the ocean.

Room Tip: We like the canyon view. It is wide open and has lots of birds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg? Share your experiences!