“Great Location...but” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Sacramento, California
“Great Location...but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

It is so true that location is almost everything, but you would still like a room worth the $$. First off the male clerk at the front desk was rather useless. He could never really answer any of my questions, like, is there a discount for senior citizens and at what age do you consider a person to be a senior for a discount? Some places I've stayed discount a person 55 yrs and above. Do you take any other cards other than AAA for a discounted rate? These questions were asked before we arrived, plus our booked rate of $150. a night was then going for less when we checked in----$139. a night. I mentioned this on the phone before we arrived and was told there would be a note put in my file and upon check-in I might be asked if I had an AAA card to get that lower price. I told the guy that their website doesn't state you have to be a member of AAA to get that price. When we checked in we weren't sure whether we would get it at lower rate, but we did. I was prepared to fight the higher rate we booked it 2 weeks before.
We had the lower King with a view. Location is great, but was disappointed a bit in the room. First off, the rug had two huge stains right in front of the TV. There were stains on the see-through curtains as well. The wallpaper in the bath was peeling off and one night stand looked like it was chewed by a dog. The room still felt like it was clean enough though.
During the night our sink leaked all over the floor. I went up and told the clerk, and he offered me a bucket and would put in a call to have it fixed. NO APOLOGIES at all or an offer for someone to come clean up the mess. A guy came to fix the leak by replacing the pipe. It was never fixed properly and the sink still leaked, but not as bad. I had to go up and get a bucket again-----NO APOLOGIES again.
The bad part of this location is it's right on the 10 mile bike trail and you have people walking, riding bikes, strollers and just always people going by your window all hours of the day just steps from your room. I'm talking 5 feet! Stay upstairs and be a bit safer.
It would have been nice if they had offered a continental breakfast or at least fresh brewed coffee.
We did find most of the people we dealt with in the town really friendly and nice. I always appreciate that.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room. You will pay more, but it's not as busy with passerbys on the bike trai...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf and Sand Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. First I would like to apologize. It is obvious we performed poorly in providing you with the hospitality experience you deserve. We take all feedback as an opportunity to improve. I am using your feedback to train our customer service team that it is all or nothing when it comes to the guest experience. On behalf of the staff, we sincerely apologize. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cameron Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The room was very clean and quiet. We were on the 2nd floor and had a balcony with a beautiful ocean view. At night we slept with the sliding door open and the ocean sound and cool breeze were delightful. Room had a fridge but no microwave. The check-in staff was helpful. The only negative was that they offered no type of breakfast at all and we had to drive into the city where parking was not easy to find when we were there. Otherwise, we would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor ocea view
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room with a view. Hopefully someday we will be able to offer a little breakfast for our guests. Next time we can recommend some other great breakfast places that aren't as busy with a little easier parking. Thank you again.
Nevada City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Good and the Bad... The good: Location, Location. Location! Traveling with two pugs we stayed in the pet-friendly room.

Okay, I've traveled all over the western states with my little pugs, who prefer sleeping in their travel-kennel, but this room was next to awful. No... IT WAS THE DEFINITION OF AWFUL-!!!

Notice that perfum-y smell when you walk in? You want to think "Ah, Clean!" But guess again! My little guys were so over-the-top anxious with all the animal smells in the room they freaked out! My dogs NEVER EVER pose for the potty-position indoors, yet my guys were "tempted" by all the smells. You know, willing to mark their territory....

Needless to say, I kept them in their kennel when they weren't running on the beach. THE GOOD PART... EASY ACCESS TO LOTS OF FUN-IN-THE-SUN BEACH TIME.

Back to what you are paying for.... I personally woke up gagging from the chemicals used by house cleaning. And I AM NOT CHEMICAL SENSITIVE-!!! (I ended up sleeping in my truck!) We requested another room, due to chemical sensitivity and were told it would be the same regardless. Their "sister hotel" next door, the infamous Beachcomber Inn uses the same products we were told. One sniff was worth a thousand words! YUCK!!!

Our reservation plans to stay for 3 days were dumped! The hotel manager was kind, and gracious I must say also apologetic and willing to offer that other people have had trouble with the chemicals in the past, this was nothing new... Refund without question.

The good news? We found a lovely place just 10 minutes down the road, Agate Cove Inn in Mendocino where their pet friendly room was fresh, clean and measurably up-scaled by comparison. Really!?!?!?! There IS NO COMPARISON!

Surf and Sand Lodge needs a good cleaning, maybe replace the carpets with scrub-able tiles and invest in orderless cleaners. How do the other commercial places do it?

I won't go back and I'm shocked my friends thought this was worth recommending!!!!! We HAVE TO HAVE A TALK-!!!!

Room Tip: Don't go until they get their cleaning products under control-!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spent our 43rd anniversary in Fort Bragg at Surf and Sand Lodge. We had a wonderful room on the second floor without a jacuzzi or fireplace. The room was very clean and spacious. We were pleased to see that the room had a small refrigerator. The staff was friendly and we had a gorgeous view from our private balcony. The path to MacKerricher State Park was right outside our room. We had dinner at Carine's in Noyo Harbor. Not fancy but excellent food. The restaurant has been owned by the Carine's since 1947. We will definitely stay at Surf and Sand again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf and Sand Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

After driving through the redwoods we came across the Surf and Sand Lodge. So glad we found it!
The lady on the desk was lovely - so helpful after a long journey!
The man who was with here recommended the Silvers Restaurant which was gorgeous. Fresh seafood in a beautiful setting.
Rooms were clean with a gorgeous view.
Would deffinately recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we did, We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and our staff was able to help. We hope to see you again.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The views are great, but I would recommend reserving a room that is NOT in a building with a jacuzzi room. Guests are not supposed to run a jacuzzi bath after 10, but if you tend to go to bed early you might be in for a rude awakening via the thundering water in the pipes and tub jets. Also, there are no instructions on how to work the Direct TV and the wireless internet was weak at best. The folks at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, though--and that was certainly appreciated. Lastly, there was what appeared to be a large booger stuck to the bathroom wall when we arrived.....gross. So, you will pay a little less than some of the other places that are on the ocean side, and the views are good, but be aware that the walls are thin.

Room Tip: Go upstairs in a building that doesn't have a jacuzzi room. Or, get the jacuzzi room yourself an...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

After a long day of driving through the Redwoods from Crescent City, we traveled the very zig-zaggy Rt 1 to our destination at Fort Bragg. At the time, I was not feeling very well and we narrowed down our hotel selection for the night to two hotels. After speaking with Rae and Ricky of the Surf & Sand Lodge, we decided to stay here - and we were so glad we did. The room was cozy, clean, and had a great unobstructed view from the room and private balcony of the ocean. Our room had a Jacuzzi tub and fireplace (an electric fireplace, but a fireplace non-the-less). The bed was one of the most comfortable beds ever experienced in a hotel. The next morning I awoke feeling rested and fantastic. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf and Sand Lodge? Share your experiences!