“Great Railroad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Skunk Train (California Western Railroad)

Skunk Train (California Western Railroad)
Foot of Laurel St., Fort Bragg, CA 95437
(888) 457-5865
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 11 Attractions in Fort Bragg
Type: Scenic Drives, Scenic Railroads, Landmarks
Activities: Group tours/train
More attraction details
Owner description: A 40-mile train ride through the redwood forests of northern California.
Oceanside, Oregon
19 attraction reviews
“Great Railroad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We visited the depot today and found that things had expanded. We spent our honeymoon in Fort Bragg 48.5 years ago and road the Skunk. We were glad to see they were still in business and operating. We spent time in the terminal and Kristina was a most gracious hostess to show us around. They were not operating a full schedule at this time of the year but sometime in the future we will return and ride the Skunk again.

• Korean first
San Ramon, California
“Great Crab lunch and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a great time on the Skunk train during the Crab and Wine Festival in January. A must for all!

california
4 attraction reviews
“Fun trip! Dog friendly too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

A great experience! Everyone was very friendly! Enjoyed the entertainment on the train as well. Being able to experience the train ride both inside and on an outside car was great. Even our little dog enjoyed the ride and the music. :-)

Sonoma, California
5 attraction reviews
“It's a train!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

The reason we went on the train was because I had never been on one. We were lucky enough that one of the tunnels was caved in or something so instead of the 4 hour ride, we got to do the 1 hour ride, which is plenty of time!!! If we had to be on there for 4 hours I think we would have fallen asleep. I mean its just a train going medium pace through nature, beautiful yes, but not worth 4 hours. There was a guy on there singing to us which was fun (just him and a guitar), there was a snack area, there was an open part of the train for standing on and the a few sitting areas. The chairs all face one way, but can be flipped to turn the other way which is pretty cool, so you can face each other. The windows in that area didn't seem to work really well which made it real hot and stuffy.

I recommend it if they are doing the one hour rides, but four hours, it is just too long.

I do not recommend it for children. They wouldn't be able to last, there is nothing to keep them busy. You would have to bring stuff for them, but there also isn't a lot of space. I would not take children on a 4 hour ride on the skunk train.

Visited August 2013
Central Valley, California
13 attraction reviews
“Great deal for families with children under 13 - for adults and teens not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The best part of this whole trip is that dogs can ride with you for an additional $10.00. While the ride was pretty, the cost wasn't at around $50 per person. The two adults and one child ticket(s) are cheaper than a stand alone adult. The price continues to drop with the more children you have. Teenagers are the full adult price. We paid approximately $210 for three adults, a teenager and a dog whereas two adults and six children would be around $30 total.
Since I am from CA, our vacation home is located in the redwoods and I have visited various coastal redwood places in the state, I did not see anything that I couldn't have viewed for free elsewhere.
With that said - it is a part of our states' history and I wanted to do it once. The ride was nice with a singer moving from car to car. It was also a perfect opportunity to desensitize and socialize my new rescue dog.
I would definitely recommend this for families with children. You can't beat the price as it declines with the number of children traveling.