“Some Charm, and some "farm"...” 3 of 5 stars

Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Los Angeles, California
“Some Charm, and some "farm"...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Upon arrival, I was charmed and thrilled to be staying at the Farmhouse Inn. First impressions are very good. Beautiful property, lovely pool, promising restaurant. Things started off a little shaky during check in. When we arrived there was no one in the reception to check us in for a good 10 minutes. However, once things got rolling and we were checked in, I was excited to be staying at the Farmhouse.
We stayed in a Barn Luxury Room, on the first floor of the "Barn" building, in the back of the property. Upon arrival into our room, I was pleased to discover all the rooms features: The steam shower, heated floors in the bathroom, a lovely amenity "box" full of items from the inn, to keep for yourself. However, the room was sparsely decorated in my opinion, a little bare and minimal for my taste, especially at the rate we were paying. The carpet had small stains here and there. Also, when we arrived to our room, there was a fowl smell, wafting threw the open passageway to our room. It was the smell of their septic system is all I could guess, it was a very heavy stench of sewage. It was so bad, we had to keep our windows and doors closed to our room, as to not let the smell completely fill our room. Which was too bad, because the weather was nice enough to leave our windows open. We also couldn't enjoy the outdoor patio because of the smell of sewage, it was just too much.
If you like kitties, the property has a couple for you to love. I have a couple cats, so it was nice to have a couple to love on during our stay. The pool was heated, and clean, and lovely. The property was over all charming, with the exception of the terrible sewage smell.
The restaurant was pretty good, especially for breakfast. Great service. Delicious food. One note: The inn does not have an espresso "program" if you like espresso, cappuccino, mocha's or lattes. During our stay, none were available to us. Strange I think, especially at the rate we were paying, and for the accolades the restaurant has received. Seems rather ordinary, for an Inn held at such regard, to have an espresso machine.
Dinner service was top notch and professional. Dinner itself was tasty, but I found most of the dishes a bit under par, for a Michelin rated restaurant. I applaud the effort. The delivery was just a bit lacking.
Over all I found my stay to be a bit average. The smell of sewage was just so overpowering, we couldn't completely enjoy the property, or our room/patio. And frankly, in relation to other high end establishments I have stayed at, charging similar rates, I simply can not find a way to justify the rates they charge, with the lacking of services offered.
I would recommend going to the Farmhouse Inn for dinner, if you are in the area, but perhaps, skip the "Inn" part of it.

Room Tip: The property has a bad smell of sewage, so I am not sure which room I would try next. Some are very...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
(Note: You'll see the same response, from me, on the very negative review from September 12th. I'm not sure why that guest's partner decided to post this, but I think the same response is appropriate, since it's basically the same review. )
I, and my whole staff are just shocked by this review. None of us had any idea this guest was at all displeased. This review is too complicated for me to take it apart bit by bit. But, please, if you come to visit, and I hope you will come, tell us if something is wrong. Give us the chance to fix it while you're on property. Please don't go away upset and then write a bad review of us. It's unfair to us- but more importantly it's unfair to you. It's your vacation and you deserve for it to be perfect. We can't guarantee that nothing will ever to wrong. But we can guarantee that if you give us the chance, we'll make it right. Read our other reviews. We really do care, and we absolutely value the time you choose to spend with us.
Catherine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Temecula, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband arranged a milestone birthday getaway for us at the phenomenal Farmhouse Inn. The wine pairing dinner was absolutely perfect and ever so memorable. The personalized menue for my birthday, the attentive and friendly/approachable staff were wondefuful. Jana, the gardener, Teresa at the guest services desk were ever so friendly and genuinely wanted us to LOVE our time at the Inn. The handmade soaps and the evering smores are exceptional touches you find nowhere else. I can't wait to visit the Farmhouse Inn again!

Room Tip: We loved Cottage #8
Green Features: The gardens are absolutely gorgeous - hats off to JANA!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We found the service in this hotel fantastic. Every time we asked where we should go etc the suggestions were exactly what we were looking for and all booked for us.
The room was nice - we started in one of the cottages. There was a big comfortable bed, fireplace, sofa area, even a sauna.
Little touches made it special, s'more ingredients and cookies each night, honey scrub and soaps in reception for you to help yourself to.
Only comment was the towels could have been bigger and fluffier, I found them harsh and the biggest was a lot smaller than I'm used to. And the pool was way too cold to go in. These are not things that would stop me saying this was an excellent hotel.

LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The restaurant was great and the staff throughout the restaurant and Inn were great. The suite room we had was not special, very bare on the patio, forgot our smores the first night and the turn down service and room just wasn't great. we also pointed out the septic tank stunk really bad right behind our room and asked to have the owner call us, but we never heard back. the staff asked me to take his card and call him. right.

inn mediocre, particularly for the price. staff great. restaurant great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I'm so sorry to read this review. This is the second Trip Advisor review this guest has posted. The first one was pulled because it was slanderous. This guest wanted us to waive a three night minimum for them. It was high season, on a weekend and they booked it ages ago. They threatened to slander us if we didn't give them the third night free. And we don't bend our rules over threats of slander. So, he posted this. I'm really, really sorry he was unhappy. And I'm really sorry that he felt the need to post this. But mostly, I'm sorry because this was his vacation and rather than enjoying it, he spent his energy angry over a policy that he agreed to when he booked the reservation.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Farmhouse Inn. We stayed in one of the rooms in the new "barn" building. It was spacious with a huge luxurious bathroom that had heated floors and all the amenities. The complimentary soap and bath salts were put to good use. There was a nice patio but we didn't use it as the weather was a bit rainy. I do think the room was close to their water/septic pond with a slight waft of the smell when outside. We at at the restaurant for dinner and had a wonderful special meal. The breakfasts were almost equally as wonderful and the scone we had will not be long remembered.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Restaurant is very special. Had dinner there on two nights. Great service, great food, great wine selections. You will not go wrong here! Breakfast was also very good.

We stayed in an upstairs barn room and it was fantastic. Definitely stay in Barn and try to get upstairs.

Staff was very friendly and helped plan a couple of great winery tours.

Virginia Water, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

It's a small hotel, the room wad very good but not amazing.

It's the service however which makes this worth 5 out of 5.

Even before I arrived the concierge team were very helpful. Every time we asked they had great recommendations.
S'mores in the evening great fun.

Special thanks to Zoe in the spa who sorted my aches and pains out.

Their winery partners all waived the tasting fees which saved us a decent amount and they were very good.

Breakfast was perhaps the best we had all trip.
The restaurant is good, but isn't open Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sure we will be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!