“A slice of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Walnut Creek, California
“A slice of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in the same room within the barn every time we've visited Farmhouse Inn. We are in love with this place! The rooms are beautiful with heated tile floors, steam room, large tub and a double sided fireplace going between your room and a secluded patio. But what sets this place apart is the little details, house made soaps and body scrubs, music playing in your room upon arrival and REAL keys for the door.

While you're not within walking distance you are still close to a lot of wineries, a great paved bike trail and restaurants.

Room Tip: Be sure to book dinner reservations at the restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husand and I stayed at the Farmhouse Inn in early August and had a great time. We found the location to be perfect for us. We were right between Napa and the Sonoma Coast so we were able to explore both areas which we loved. Staff was very helpful with ideas and special needs. We stayed in a regular room which I decided did not compare to the Barn rooms which are away from the street noise and quite fabulous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed in many fine lodgings, in wine country and elsewhere. While quite nice, the experience did not nearly live up to its $800/night price tag. The room was pretty and well decorated, but the shower was very sub-par. No hot tub and the pool was average at best. Service was somewhat lacking. No room service, and at 9pm on a weeknight we could not obtain any food or room service. A lot of road noise. The gardens were pretty. The restaurant was excellent, however, and I would recommend it highly for dinner. Much better value and luxury can be obtained elsewhere in wine country for half the price!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I'm so sorry this reviewer didn't love his stay with us. He is right about room service. We are a small property, only 18 rooms, and we just aren't equipped for room service. We do, however, offer a really nice selection of locally made cheeses, cured meats, crackers, house made hummus and spreads, nuts and several other items, depending on the day. They're available in Guest Services until they close at 9pm. I wish we could take care of every possible wish a guest may have. But with 6 concierges for just 18 rooms, we can usually come close. And, yes, there are less expensive places to stay in Wine Country. Not many with the services we offer. But read the rest of our reviews. I hope you'll choose us!
Catherine
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful days at the end of the summer at the Farmhouse Inn, using their promo of Tues nite free on a 3-day mid-week reservation in July. We stayed in a first-floor barn room which was spacious, private and very romantic. It was quiet except for our noisy upstairs neighbors, but otherwise we were extremely pleased with the accommodations. The front desk was very friendly and helpful and we had a great dinner at their restaurant and delicious and welcoming breakfasts every morning. The bed was very comfortable, the fireplace welcome both inside and out, and the spa tub and bath accessories were fabulous.
Overall, the experience was exceptional and we're looking forward to returning soon. I am not sure the property is worthy of the going price (small pool, small property and many of the rooms are too close to the noisy road if you're not in the barn), but with the July special we had a fabulous time and will return in similar circumstances. It was very special to be out in the countryside and not in Healdsburg as we have been in the past. The proximity to the redwoods and the more remote and off-the-beaten-track location was great. The Farmhouse Inn is a unique and very special experience.

Room Tip: Perhaps an upstairs room in the barn would be quieter and sunnier, but all rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Foster City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This little out of the way hotel (more like a bungalow colony) and restaurant are a real surprise. The restaurant is one of the best in the area. Very good local food, elegant presentation. it costs and the service can be a bit snooty, but the restaurant is not technically formal. The cottages are small but well equipped, some with hot tubs. Very relaxing, as you're far away from everything except the vineyards across the river. Would gladly return. Romantic. Do be aware that both are expensive, so value is in the eye of the beholder!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

All the reviews below are correct - this place is excellent. I've stayed in a lot of 5-star hotels here in the US - but this is by far the best and most casually elegant place so far. If you want a luxury getaway without the pretense - this is it. I couldn't really think of any negatives except perhaps that I'm not a fan of Keurig coffees ... I like Nespresso better. But talk about a minor complaint! The setting is gorgeous, the rooms beyond comfortable, the steam shower & jetted spa tub divine - as was the indoor/outdoor fireplace in our room. The little touches of chocolate chip cookies and milk at night was great, the fresh sunflowers in our room. The amazing dinners with perfect wine pairings. WORTH IT!

Room Tip: all the barn rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I really tried to love my experience at this hotel, but no matter how much I tried I always felt annoyed enough by little things. The staff are professional and helpful, but hardly warm or friendly, I felt like they were doing me a favour, and I was constantly on a back foot. At check in guests have to sign something saying they are responsible for any damage in the room, I suspect that I knew if we break anything in any hotel we were liable, but it gives a bad taste in your mouth to be treated off the bat as a liability. Also, during our stay they had a special promotion that I missed to recognise, that would have given us a more comfortable room for about the same price, any hotel I stayed at would have brought it to our attention, but the staff at the farmhouse did not. There are little cookies and s'mores available, but breakfast ends at 10 am promptly, a bit early for the holidaymaker! The architecture is cheaply done, I'm an architect, and can recognise cheap dry wall, plastering etc. to the untrained eye the place is cute, but to someone in property it's easy to see the ways that they cut have cut costs, and sadly it cut too much into my experience. I had mentioned not wanting to be too close to the road, as some reviewers complained about this, but there we were stuck right on the road, and at our visit it seemed that the place was basically empty. Overall the place lacks any generosity of spirit to its guests, and has cut so many corners to profit from its guests you leave feeling a bit mugged.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
This is a hard review to respond to. This guest was traveling with two young children and she knowingly booked one of our smaller Heritage Rooms. We offered her an upgrade but she absolutely refused to pay any fees to be upgraded to a larger room. As a small property, and a very busy one, we can't offer free upgrades.
So, she stayed in a small room with two very misbehaved children and was basically miserable the entire time. At Farmhouse, we love children- my brother and I have a ton of them between us- but we are also very respectful of our guests who are traveling without their children. This guest demanded chicken nuggets from the restaurant (We just aren't a chicken nuggets kind of restaurant) left her children unattended in the dining room during breakfast and spent the day by the pool with her screaming son. Other guests on property were impacted and voiced numerous complaints. And as to asking her to sign a damages waiver, that's just industry standard. She was angry because we actually had to charge her for damage her children did. Pen marks on bedding, etc. So, long story short, the fit was bad.
And, as for the cheap construction, the Heritage Rooms date back to the turn of the century. They've been renovated over the years, and are really darling. They aren't cheap construction. Nothing here is. But they're not brand spanking new construction either. That's part of their charm.
Come stay in one. And, for heaven's sake, if you're thinking of bringing your children, talk with us in advance. We love kids, but we're not the place for every kid. Most everyone here is here for a romantic get away. And we take that seriously.
Catherine

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!