“Nice Anniversary Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Walnut Creek, California
“Nice Anniversary Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very nice getaway in the midst of Sonoma wine country for a 40th anniversary trip. The Farmhouse has an excellent restaurant (Michelin rated) and the breakfast meals set a great tone for the whole day. They also have reciprocity with a few wineries where the wine tasting is free (ended up buying anyways). A golf course is nearby and it's rated in the top-10 (for 9-hole courses) in the nation. Take a drive to Bodega Bay to see the coastline.

Room Tip: Cost a bit more but rooms away from the road are much quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
San Anselmo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed for one night at the Farmhouse Inn for my husband's birthday. We were in room 18 in the barn - it was heavenly! The room was gorgeous in its simplicity - white walls, wood floors, marble, great light fixtures, large windows looking out onto the green hillside. And huge - bigger than my first apartment (and in a much better neighborhood ;) backing up to a beautiful wooded canyon. The attention to detail was absolutely meticulous. From the fresh milk in the fridge for morning coffee to the pack of artisan S'mores makings to use at the fire pit, heated floors to plush robes and glasses of wine upon check in. The restaurant was delicious, we had a 3 course meal with wine pairings - the short ribs and rabbit dishes were superb and the wines were interesting and perfectly matched to the dishes. Love, love, love the Farmhouse. A little pricey, but definitely worth a splurge for a special occasion.

Room Tip: The barn rooms while more expensive seem to be a bit more secluded than the rooms at the front of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have stayed at the Farmhouse Inn 3 times now and just when we think it can't get any better it does. The hotel is one of our most favorite places to stay anywhere. The Russian River Valley is so much more relaxed and chill than Napa and home to the best Pinot's in the country. The Farmhouse Inn is so incredibly special from the moment you walk in. You are offered a glass of wine, to cut your own soap and bring your own scrub to your room. In your room relaxing music awaits you as does delicious homemade cupcakes. The past few times we have stayed in the Heritage Cottages and this time we stayed in a Barn room which was by far one of my favorite hotel rooms every. The rooms are enormous with indoor/outdoor fireplaces, sitting room, steam shower, whirlpool bath, large decks, and the best bed ever. My advice is to pony up for the barn rooms, they are amazing! Dinner of course is tops, as always at the Michelin star restaurant with homemade cookies and milk to follow in the room. Breakfast is for hotel guests only and is out of this world. We love the Farmhouse Inn so very much!

Room Tip: Choose a barn room, #17 is the best.
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Inn is an old farmhouse, tastefully redone, with rooms in cottages, the barn and the house. Home to a one star Michelin restaurant, one gets to stay in luxury and eat excellent breakfasts and dinners. Two cats, Charlotte and Jasper, provide amusement on the property. Located right in the heart of Sonoma wine country (think Pinot Noir in particular), the Inn is just a few miles away from world class wineries such as William Selyem and Rochioli. We liked the cottages best--small but cozy with fireplaces and in room saunas--at half the price of the big resorts. The spa is excellent, although they lack an exercise room and a lounge/bar for just hanging around. The concierges are very friendly and can get you into other top restaurants and wineries for private tours.

Room Tip: cottage 8 is neat....
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed a night in the barn recently. the quality of the room and furnishings was impeccable... and the hotel overall is cute, homely and welcoming. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Dinner at the restaurant is a must, and was a real highlight of our stay.

We upgraded ourselves from a standard room and were so glad we did... they are right next to the road and might be a bit noisy, where the barn rooms are about 2 x the size of the others and set well back. Only draw back is that it rained very heavily, so even though we had umbrellas we got thoroughly soaked walking to dinner and breakfast and our car. Not a big issue but a few covered spots, better drainage on driveway, and an awning over the restaurant doorway would help!

Room Tip: Stay in the Barn for sure!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Barn Room for 2 nights and it was fantastic! Everything was spot on....from the indoor/outdoor fireplace to the beautiful furnishings.

We (7 of us in our group) were greeted with smiles from the friendly staff. They opened a bottle of wine for us to have while waiting for them to get us all situated in our rooms. We were shown to our rooms with explanations of everything in the room.

One of my favorite things was the TUB. I am a bath gal and I loved the tub. It was deep enough and long enough to have a nice, long, leisurely soak. I opened the window by the tub to speak with my husband who was enjoying the outside portion of the fireplace relaxing on the patio. Both with a glass of wine in our hands! The complimentary Bath Salts and Soaps were heaven too.

Speaking of heaven, the bed felt like we were sleeping on a cloud. Fluffy, perfect and oh, so comfortable.

My husband absolutely loved the heated floors in the bathroom. It was an added touch that makes this place so comfortable & cozy.

Hmmmm.... comfortable, I am starting to see a pattern here.

One of the evenings, we all (us & our friends who also stayed there) hung out by the fire pit and drank wine, made the s'mores and relaxed even more. The other evening we ate at the restaurant. The food was very good and the wine pairings were spot on too!

Ask for Zoe if you have a massage. She has calming hands.

We did the wine tours, wine pairings with food and had a great time knowing we were coming back to the Farmhouse to end the day!

Our friends treated us to a week in Sonoma, San Francisco and Napa, so I can't say whether it was 'worth the price' or not. All I can say is that It was the best place we stayed on our trip - in fact, one of the best places we have ever stayed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Everything was perfect. Done. End of Review. I can elaborate a bit if you want.

Ivy League, woman of taste, hard to impress, foodie-who-lives-for-hard-to-reserve-sf-restaurants girlfriend loved it. Done. Success. End of Review.

I DO expect to spend over $200 (without a dinner and desert wine) at a restaurant of this quality. I ALWAYS cringe when I spend $500/night on a room, but if you enjoyed your room like I did for two nights, it all makes sense somehow. And I didn't need to break out any tinfoil to crumple to keep myself entertained. Farmhouse participates in the occasional deal, slashing prices if you keep your eyes peeled. They also have deals mid-week. It's not going to be an inexpensive stay even with a deal, but I challenge you to explain the value proposition of the alternatives. I stayed in the cold months. Makes you want to stay indoors, so if your room is like mine (Yep, number 9, the one everyone likes....Farmhouse, you have a problem, everybody wants number 9!!), you WON'T want to leave the building. You will just go down stairs for breakfast and go back upstairs to be in the room. Then at dinner time you will go down stairs and stay a bit longer and then go back upstairs. Coming down the stairs and seeing the bustling kitchen staff makes me feel like I was raised in a farm house with very organized and professional parents who were chefs and inn keepers. I got sentimental about my upbringing which I started to imagine myself as having had.

The stereo system was the best I've heard in a while, so watching a movie from downstairs was delightful!

The room-sized tub created by some exquisite architect, complete with a ceiling spout was perfect for the seemingly endless tantric embraces we were compelled to have. Something about dinner being prepared below us by Michelin sanctified people was exciting. The back of our enormous super-high-threadcount-sheet covered four post bed was a sliding barn type mini-door that slid open for some polished stones in an egg crate which led into the bath/pool. I don't know about you, but laying in bed with highlight lighting gazing in at a lover bathing is something otherworldly.

I ate every homemade, soft, warm, chocolaty chocolate chip cookie that was left for me each night. I ate the snacks in the cedar treat box. I blazed the fire and read a book. I stood on the bathroom floor and heated my feet just because the hot tile felt good on my feet. I stared at the large porcelain sink and knobs because it was worthy of a photograph by a camera and a photographer better than I am.

I met the owner, she was busy taking care of everybody and said hi. I loved that she didn't talk a bunch and ask where I was from. The ladies in the concierge, the spiced cider, the wines, the advice, the resident cats. The scents, the grounds, the smells.

I think there is a hotel genre for Barns. If this is true, Farmhouse Inn nailed it for me.

It is expensive. How much are you hoping to save? This isn't just lodging, I can say it's a destination. Every penny I spent just felt worth it.

I recommend that you stay for a few days if you can afford it.

Lots of other good things happened while I was in wine country on this stay, but that's because wine country never disappoints. My heart is always there.

You can of course find my rave review in the little guest book in number 9 if you're questioning that such a glorious stay ever took place. You will write similar sentiments I'm sure when you are penning your review.

Love Me.

Room Tip: Ask for number 9. :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!