“it was beautiful but defiantly some disadvantages” 3 of 5 stars

Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“it was beautiful but defiantly some disadvantages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed in this bed and breakfast having a lot of high expectations for $500 a night. We arrived and checked in. We were walked to our room by a nice bellman. The room itself is gorgeous. So spacious, clean- and they have some popcorn and chocolate that are complimentary for your stay. They do however charge for anything in the refrigerator.

We went back to the front desk because we did not have plans for our first night. The note left at our room stated the front desk had games and movies. Well the games (plural) consisted of one dice board game. There were DVD's for guest to borrow, but all of them were either unheard of or just bad movies.

This bed and breakfast is pretty far away from any town. There was no option for room service and the only option we had for food was ordering a pizza. We ordered one and they said they would deliver by 8pm. about an hour after ordering we received a call stating the pizza place would no longer deliver. However the bell man went and picked it up for us. I thought this was great customer service.

the next morning we went to our included breakfast. It was nice and tasty. But then they brought us a bill. The bill showed that our breakfast "normally" would cost $50.00, and then there was a space for a tip. Considering the only people who eat breakfast are people who are staying at the bed and breakfast, who have already paid $500 + for this stay, this was very disappointing. The whole purpose is to get you to leave a tip for the server. The server asks what you want to eat and brings it to you. You have get your own drinks and refills at the counter. I have been to quite a few B&B and never have had a bill brought to me after eating breakfast... are you kidding me? like you really are not making enough money from your guests?

If a guest wants to leave a tip, they will- for example when the bell man went out of his way to pick up our pizza, i left him a deserved tip. But to basically force that is ridiculous.

I dont want you to think this hotel is awful by any means. They have luxurious rooms, a extremely expensive ($250) but good onsite dinner, a bath bar with soaps to choose from, they deliver cookies at night.

But for the cost, how far away from everything it is, the fact there is nothing to do, no where to eat, and the sense that this place is more of a hotel then a bed and breakfast. (There is nothing bed and breakfast about it really).

This was our least favorite stay in napa valley for the holidays.

Room Tip: This is a place for if you want to be segregated from it all and dont mind spending a ton of money f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I am so glad this guest enjoyed the stay with us. And, I'm sorry to hear that they were disappointed in some aspects of the visit. They are absolutely right about our being more of a hotel than a Bed and Breakfast. We are a country inn, but bear little resemblance to a B & B. We don't offer room service, i don't know of a B & B that does, so I'm surprised to hear that they expected room service and a B & B invironment...but we can offer snacks, a cheese plate and there are actually a number of good restaurants within a very short drive. And, I'm sorry they were confused about breakfast. The slip that we drop is for guests to sign and jot down their room number. It's primarily for record keeping. It is an easy place for a guest to leave a gratuity, if they are so inclined, and don't have cash, but a gratuity is in no way demanded.
And, as for games and movies, we do have a few games, Scrabble and the like, but they are rarely asked for and so we don't keep a large inventory of them. But our movie selection is really good! We do have a lot of Indie stuff (I guess it's what WE like), but we also have a bunch of current movies too.
So, anyway, come stay with us. We're a charming Inn with a great restaurant that's open most of the time, lovely breakfasts, pretty grounds and really nice people working here...
Hope to see you!
Catherine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

If there is a more perfect way to combine rustic and luxury I have yet to visit it.....We stayed in a barn suite. It was perfect. Large bathroom, indoor/outdoor fireplace, tall ceilings, lots of light and an awesome deck to relax on. Anna was extremely helpful in planning our trip which was centered around The Russian River Valley. Every morning was perfect as we had breakfast outside and read the newspaper. I can't imagine I would stay anywhere else when we go back. The only regret I have is that we didn't get to spend more time in the room. I could have hung out all day next to the fireplace reading a book and been content.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed in June/July 2012 (#11 Barn Deluxe) and enjoyed it, thanks to setting my expectations and choosing a quiet room based on other reviewers' comments. This property straddles between being an inn and a hotel, with some amenities from each category but it doesn't fit squarely in either one. Our room was beautiful and contained many thoughtful details - a box of snacks/candles/etc, fixings for s'mores, heated bathroom floors, cookies and milk in the evenings... Yet the property lacks basic services one may expect at this price point (room service, etc). There were some small "misses" in service upon our arrival, such as the front desk attendant asked if we wanted turndown and we answered yes, but turndown service never appeared... but generally the staff was friendly and helpful.

My preference is always to stay in an inn/B&B over a hotel, so this property was a good fit. But it's certainly not for everyone. The restaurant was excellent and we really enjoyed the tasting menu with wine pairing, as the pairings were novel and the sommelier knowledgeable and willing to spend time discussing each selection with us.

Would we return? I'm not sure... it was a pleasant experience that I would recommend to first timers who enjoy inns/B&Bs. I enjoyed the small touches described above, but they weren't important to my partner so we both thought the experience was nice but had different conclusions regarding whether the value proposition was worth repeat trips.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back barn building, where you're further from road noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

WE snuck away for a one night stay the weekend before Thanksgiving. We stayed upstairs in the Barn Luxury Suite. It was amazing. Beautiful decor, lovely view of the woods. An indoor/outdoor fireplace. We loved the heated tile bathroom floor and jetted spa in the room. With fantastic wineries only a stone's throw away plus scrumptious dinner on site what more could you ask for.....well a perfect breakfast in the restaurant before leaving, too! Don't miss this one. Did I mention the delightful self-serve bath bar & homemade cookies by our bed at night?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cozumel, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Arrived late, no one to help us with lugage, nice rooms, many nice little details, we enjoyed our stay here. Very nice breakfast, wonderfull diner.

We recommend this charming hotel!!!

Would stay here again

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We originally reserved a Heritage room and were pleasantly surprised to receive a complimentary upgrade to a barn room when we arrived. After traveling for 15 hours to get to the inn, the first thing I did was jump into the giant jacuzzi tub in the room. The inn offers complimentary body scrubs, soaps and bath salts which we enjoyed immensely. My travel headache was gone and I was felt relaxed and at home instantly. Brandon brought the most delicious s'more chocolate chip cookies to the room, and tonight we are looking forward to dinner in their acclaimed restaurant and s'mores on our patio. I will be sad to leave tomorrow but I look forward to returning to this gorgeous, peaceful setting in the future.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went to Farmhouse Inn for the first two nights of our honeymoon. It was very nice, but not amazing. They did offer us an upgrade for extra $ on the day we arrived, and I enjoyed our room, but expected a bit more when paying ~$400 per night. Especially on our honeymoon. We did not feel "special" as we did at other places we stayed on our honeymoon.

The breakfast was very, very good. Although, there were only two options and it was not possible to make any substitutions, so it could be a problem if you did not like either option. Also, breakfast is not available until 8:30 am, which seemed a little late, but didn't affect us much.

I loved the complimentary bath salts and soaps that they made available to guests. Also, the chocolate chip cookies and milk at night were a really nice touch.

We went to one of the Farmhouse Inn "partner" wineries and it didn't seem like we received any VIP treatment after we mentioned that we were staying at the Farmhouse Inn. Not sure what we were supposed to get, but they still charged the full tasting rate.

Definitely above average, but did not blow my mind.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks so much for choosing to spend part of your honeymoon with us! I'm sorry to hear that the stay didn't completely "wow" you! Historically we have had just the two choices for breakfast, and we've verbally offered to prepare eggs any style, fruit and granola or oatmeal if those options were more appealing. But, to make it easier and more enjoyable for our guests, we have acutally changed our menu to now offer more variety. We also now offer fresh baked pastries from 7:30 am on, for those guests who would like a bite a little earlier. And, I'm sorry to hear about the wineries! We generally hear such great things about how they treat our guests. But, we have just printed cards for our guests to present at our partner wineries, and hope that will eliminate any chance of a Farmhouse guest going unrecognized!
Thanks so much for the feedback. And we look forward to seeing you again soon.
My best,
Catherine

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!