“A blissful and delicious stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Forestville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Freeport, Maine
“A blissful and delicious stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the wine country for a week and had the good fortune to stay at the Farmhouse Inn for 3 days. Bliss began with the incredibly friendly and warm staff who offered us water, tea, and soda for refreshments, updated us on nightly fresh baked cookies and a s'more kit that could be delivered to our room. We were also told us to help ourselves to various bath and shower products that were available. Next we were brought to our room (suite) in the barn, and left to relax which we did...immediately. Our suite was fully accessible as I require crutches for walking, with the exception of the four poster bed that must have been almost 4 feet tall and required that a step stool be brought to help me access the bed. This was the one glitch in our stay, but my husband's recommendation that they remove the box spring was done after the first night and this took care of the problem. The Farmhouse Inn is definitely about the guest and we really experienced the staff making every effort to ensure our stay was wonderful, ranging from winery and restaurant recommendations to the bag of fresh figs the waitstaff gave me because I told them I loved figs.

Speaking of figs, I ate one of the best desserts EVER there. The homemade fig newton with lightly caramelized figs, cinnamon ice cream, and port caramel sauce was amazing. And as a formerly professional cook I have seen my share of flavored foams accompanying first courses and desserts as if they were a mark of culinary excellence, but this is the first restaurant I have ever been to where the foam which accompanied my halibut crudo appetizer didn't turn to a puddle and provided a light lemongrass flavored sauce for the delicious fish. Stuart's dungeness crab timbale with heirloom tomato gazpacho was astounding and his steak was deliciously crusted and fork tender. We won't even talk about the chocolate souffle. Breakfasts were innovative and hearty with two choices each morning including items like mango soup, steak and eggs, belgian waffles, etc. However, if you want something lighter they are more than happy to do this as well. My only criticism was the morning coffee which we found too weak, although the decaf which we had after dinner was quite good.

Unfortunately it was too chilly for the pool, and the s'mores were not available as bad weather prevented lighting the firepit, but we will just have to come back at a different time to experience these things. There is a spa as well but we had too little time, and too many wineries we wanted to visit, to try it out.

Bliss and deliciousness are not inexpensive, but if you are looking for a vacation, or even a night, where the food, the wine, the hospitality, and the surroundings will make you feel warm and welcomed, then this is most definitely the place to go. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thanks for visiting us- and thanks for taking the time to write this great review. I agree, the beds in the Barn can be a little overwhelming- between the pillow top, the feather bed and the duvet, it's, it feels like a bit of a climb! My 7 year-old daughter says it's like climbing into a cloud, but worth it... ;) I'm so glad you had the idea to remove the box spring!
And I'm glad you enjoyed the figs- our tree produces about a million tons a year, and we're so happy to find another willing consumer!
Next time you visit, ask for your coffee "staff strength"- we'll make you a special pot. I can't personally drink it, but my brother and the chefs swear by it...
Hope to see you soon.
My best,
Catherine

515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went for our anniversary dinner to Farmhouse Inn and had the most exquisite meal and service. When I called to make the reservation, they asked if we had any food allergies/restrictions - I do - and made a point of confirming it with me again once we arrived (which was 3 weeks later). It was such a relief to not need to explain again. We especially enjoyed the wine pairings provided by the sommelier - very worth the extra charge. They even made a print out of the wines we had to take home with us!

Bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We haven't even stayed at the property but am so impressed with their customer service. I booked our room back in May. Went onto ther website tonight to review their winery partners. Noticed that they were running a promotion of stay three nights and get one night for free. I asked if I could get this promotion. Not an issue what so ever. Meghan told me that she would send over a new confirmation immediately. It was so classy for the inn to do this. If the inn takes care of their guests so well before I even stayed their, I cannot wait until what my experience will be when we finally arrive. I will post another review after our stay.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

my husband and I were married in early october of 2012 at farmhouse inn. simply said, it was everything we dreamed and wished for our wedding. all the little details that they provided made our day feel truly special. the property is gorgeous with its lush foliage and colorful gardens. both the spa and restaurant are first class. we stayed in a barn luxury room, which was beautiful and relaxing. the heated bathroom floors and indoor outdoor fireplace made the room always feel cozy. we will be returning every year for our wedding anniversary from now on. i can't forget to mention how good the wedding cake was. quite frankly it was the best cake i have ever tasted, which is saying a lot since I normally don't like cake. :)

Kennebunkport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

what a special place this is...we will definitely go back, just hoping it can be sooner rather than later. great and friendly staff. best breakfasts ever, still thinking about the huevous rancheros, that good! really appreciated the relationships they have with some of the local and very good wineries which gave us a game plan for which to visit as there are so many. we had 2 great dinners there as well: why dine anywhere else? close to the state park, Armstrong, where we took a nice little hike among the redwoods. highly recommend this place and the whole experience of wine country, sonoma style

Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wine group and I stayed for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. The service is top notch and don't be afraid to ask for something if you need it. Anna, Brandon, Mary are all there to serve you and I used them alot. Some of my party got sick and the Farm House kept taking them sprites, crackers, you name it. The place is centrally located to everything and is outstanding in all amenities. They allow you to pick out your custom soaps and the heated bathroom floor is the most unexpected item. Plus, they can customize your wine experience at local wineries where you can get special treatment. While it was pricey, it was worth the attention to detail, you get to meet the owners who work it which in my opinion is important and they really want you to have a memorable experience. Go Stay and play at the Farmhouse. You won't be disappointed. If you need something, then let me know. tkelsey@hotmail.com

Room Tip: We have people stay in the $ 695, $795 and $ 495 rooms. The 695 and 795 were bascially the same, ju...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in Sebastopol, CA for a family event so I intentionally looked near the area for my husband and I to sneak off to for a couple of days while in wine country. I initially found the Farmhouse Inn via Gayot's "Top 10 Wine Country Inns in the U.S."

We stayed in one of the barn rooms, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We travel a lot and have high standards, and this room did not disappoint. We loved the "farmhouse chic" style. The barn room was a great blend of modern (stylish bathroom with modern fixtures, white linens, flat-screen tv, etc.) and rustic (four-poster bed, antique barn rakes hanging on walls, "portal" window, etc.). The king bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. We loved the indoor-outdoor fireplace! While we didn't do it, we loved the idea of cooking s'mores at the firepit in the evenings. We also made use of the bath bar, which was a very nice touch.

I should note that while I like wine, I am not much of a wine connoisseur. When we called the front desk about having a different bottle of wine brought to our room, Megan was very helpful and spot-on with her recommendation based on what we told her we liked. I felt like I got a free wine-tasting lesson! I should also note that Anna was very friendly upon check in. And the glass of wine upon check in was a nice touch.

We ate dinner at the restaurant our first night and were very impressed with the level of service and quality of food. I didn't remember telling them that I don't eat meat when I first made our reservation so I was very impressed when our waiter knew that and steered me to the right menu item. I should note that there was only fish entree, but it was excellent. And since we aren't very informed wine drinkers, we were relieved that the sommelier wasn't forced upon us. The restaurant's atmosphere was very charming and romantic.

Blasphemous I know, but we didn't do any wine tours during our stay. Instead, we enjoyed driving around and going to the coast to drive Highway 1 as well as hiking through Armstrong redwoods reserve -- all very close to the inn. We loved driving through all the small towns with a ton of local places from which to choose to eat. Since this was our first time in "wine country," we didn't know what to expect so the inn's location and proximity to River Road didn't bother us like in other reviews. We thought the grounds were lovely with all the well-marked flowers and foliage. Since we were there in October, we had no intention or expectation to use the pool so we can't really comment on those amenities. Also, we didn't partake in any spa services.

If I was being uber-critical, the breakfasts were a little fussy for our liking. I know it's a Michelin-rated restaurant, but I would have loved a more traditional farm breakfast (eggs made to order, toast, fresh fruit, etc.) Instead, they offered two (2) selections each morning that were gourmet in nature (and therefore small). I almost became vegan on the spot when I saw my husband's order of sunnyside-up quail eggs quivering at me. (The waitress was kind enough to offer me chicken eggs when she sensed my hesitation.) I readily admit this is a personal preference on my part.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much and would highly recommend the Farmhouse Inn to friends and family. We would definitely come back!

Room Tip: If you stay in the barn rooms, you might want to consider a 2nd-floor room as there were times we he...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!