“Another spectacular visit to the Farmhouse Inn” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lees Summit, MO
“Another spectacular visit to the Farmhouse Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Oh, my ..... where do I start? How about here: BIG birthday year and months ago my husband said, "where do you want to go celebrate?" I knew he meant that I could pick about anywhere I wanted. (I am one lucky girl!) We travel a lot. We are blessed to have been to many places in the world, the country, and locally to our beloved Kansas City. Since the Farmhouse is one of my 3 favorite destinations ever, it was the first thing out of my mouth. I believe this was our 5th or 6th visit here.

We came to the Farmhouse the first time when it was probably only a couple of years (if that) old. Catherine was just getting started working her creative and thoughtful magic. Thus, we have seen many changes as the Inn has "grown up". It just keeps getting better.

This was our first time in one of the Barn rooms, and as I dwelled on whether it would be worth the upgrade, I also knew that we would get what we paid for. Our room was spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, and smelled great! We loved the see through fireplace that also was viewed from our large deck. We spent a great deal of time in our Adirondack chairs facing the fireplace, hearing the birds in the trees surrounding us, feeling very isolated from other guests, even though we knew we were not. The configuration of the rooms and decks/patios are such that privacy is afforded. If one asks my husband, one knows that I love to be pampered and made to feel special......perhaps one of the reasons I love the Farmhouse. The attention to detail in all of the 'little' touches are too numerous to mention. The way after dinner that we walked back into our room and saw our bed has been turned down, there were fresh and fabulous chocolate chip cookies at the bedside, and soothing music was softly playing. (and I might mention these may be the best chocolate chip cookies in the WORLD!) The local, fabulous smelling personal products available in the shower and bathroom. The spacious spa tub. The well though out lighting in every part of the suite and bathroom. The small wine bar and access to some of Sonoma's fine and interesting wines right there in our room. The fresh flowers in fun vases. Did I mention those cookies??? The chocolate bar that hit the spot at just the right moment. The votive candles in perfect places. The luscious towels and plenty of them. The bedding that felt like I was sinking into a cloud but yet, at the same time had a 'firmness' that I require for great sleep (how do they do that?). The sumptuous robes. On and on. The little, cute flashlights for reading at night or, in my case, that I took out on the deck at 5 a.m. (remember, I am from the Midwest and it was 7 a.m. in my body!) to read by the fireplace, cuddled up in that warm, gorgeous wool blanket, while hubby slept.

The grounds are just as spectacular and have the same attention to detail. Beautiful gardens that include many kinds of mint and greens tucked amongst colorful flowers. Even though we didn't enjoy the pool, I did appreciate the beautiful area where it was and knew that it could be a great place to relax. There were also so many little areas with Adirondack chairs looking so inviting .... and, again, the feeling of privacy in each. Lanterns were sprinkled throughout the grounds that had fresh votive candles in them each day, waiting til dusk to be lit so that if one walked from car or the restaurant, the way was always softly lit in a beautiful style.

And the folks who work there ..... starting with Catherine and Joe to the gals who cleaned our room, we appreciated them all. I think much can be said for how long employees stay at the Farmhouse and how many of the people we talked to said, "I love my job." We always feel like we are so comfortable at the Farmhouse, no matter who is working. Being from the Midwest, we are definitely used to people being friendly and warm and we do not feel like we miss a beat when we come here. Catherine definitely has an instinct for the kind of people to hire, nows how to train folks, and we enjoyed so many of them. We had particularly nice interactions with Tamera, Victoria, and Brenden, to name a few. They are well trained, competent, and delightful to be around....my highest compliments for an employee of any place.

The breakfasts were amazing. I pride myself on being a 'foodie' and maybe even a gourmet cook. Each of the three breakfasts we had varied from the other and contained interesting combinations of courses and they were the perfect amount of food. I even found myself taking a picture of a couple of them just so I would not forget the presentation. We found the breakfast time perfect, being able to sit down at 8:30 a.m......and the service was very good and spot on in making sure we were not there too long, without the feeling of being rushed. Things seemed timed to the minute and well orchestrated. And....the coffee was quite good and plentiful as was the fresh squeezed juice.

As far as dinner .... one cannot stay at the Farmhouse and not have at least one dinner at the restaurant there. It was spectacular in itself. Great food, great service, great fun! It was as fine as any other restaurant I have been to and the setting better than most! Can't beat that!

We also enjoyed two other restaurants while there ..... K & L Bistro in Sebastapol for lunch (fun, fun place with interesting menus and great food!) and, of course, The Underwood in Graton. It is such a kick to go there. Totally different than the Farmhouse Restaurant, but the perfect alternative when one wants a casual meal in an energetic atmosphere, loves to people watch, and appreciates great food.

As far as wineries, the Farmhouse concierge service is great to recommend and help get reservations for tastings if necessary. We emailed ahead since we are so "into" wine and had recommendations from Geoff, the Head Sommelier and he was spot on in what we liked. We particularly were impressed with (and bought wine from!) Copain and Lioco.

I know that I have forgotten some things here, but hopefully, I leave the impression that the Farmhouse is an extraordinary experience, not just a place to rest one's head. It IS special ...but that is so whether one stays in one of luxurious Barn Deluxe Suites or in one of the smaller rooms. Even Room #1 by the road. We have stayed there, as well, when that is what we could get. And, we loved it! We always hate leaving, wish we could stay longer, and hope to go back. That is how I always know a stay was the best! Thank you, Catherine and Joe for doing such a good job and allowing those of us who appreciate a real treat in the way of travel to experience what you obviously love to put your efforts into!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

A beautiful property with a nice pool; a lovely room; a grand breakfast; helpful, friendly staff - all in close proximity to some of the best wineries and micro-breweries in the country. This is a luxurious getaway. Our roomy suite was equipped with a sauna and fireplace. Turn-down every night included chocolate chip cookies and milk - a nice touch. I know we will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as possible.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Based on all we had read about the Farmhouse Inn, our expectations for our stay there were very high. Farmhouse exceeded those expectations at every turn. The property grounds are just lovely. The staff is delightful and willing (and able) to help in any way possible. They were thoughtful and anticipated our needs before we knew them ourselves. The food is beyond description. The sweet and savory breakfast choices each morning were unique and divine. The dinner is not to be missed. We have had terrific meals at many fine restaurants, but we will never forget our Farmhouse dinner. Our room (the luxury barn room) was so comfortable--large and beautifully appointed. The bathroom is spacious and beautiful. The spa is lovely and our spa treatments were relaxing after a stressful (ha!) day of wine tasting.

Room Tip: The luxury barn rooms are amazing--large, stylish, and comfortable.
La Jolla, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We travel often and stay at many beautiful properties. We arrived at the Farmhouse Inn to find we had a room right adjacent to a noisy road. We had just arrived after a long day of business and expected a quiet room at these prices. They immediately moved us to a lovely room however the room was not available the second night, the only room available the 2nd night was the same room near the noisy road. Clearly unacceptable but they insisted that they would charge us whether we stayed or not. They never disclosed the room location when we booked and clearly it is a room no one wants. We were not going to stay in the noisy room and after much discussion they told us they would not charge us for the 2nd night so we left to find other accommodations. However upon our return home they did charge us. When we contacted them they were most concerned that they had not re-booked the room rather that taking care of the guest. To think a property would dishonestly charge after telling us they WOULD NOT CHARGE US and continue to press the issue knowing the room is noisy and it wasn't disclosed is just unbelieveable.
There are so many spectacular properties in the Napa Valley don't risk staying at place that is more conerned about the the bottom line than making sure the guest is well taken care of. It is situations like this that make you wonder how they stay in business. Clearly the woman at the front desk has not told her manager that she told us she was not going to charge us and now recants her story but the manager sides with the staff not the paying guest. STAY AWAY - Go to Meadowwood where they treat you like a valued guest and would never handle a situation like this. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Only stay in the Barn rooms at the back of the property away from the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Well, this one's a doozie. The long and short of this complaint is that it's simply untrue. And, exactly what Trip Advisor should not be about. And, the fact that this guest disputed the charges with American Express, and lost, is telling. American Express is the most pro-customer credit card out there. This guest booked the last room we had available for two nights. Room one is actually a very popular room (you can read a bunch of great reviews of that room, right on this site), but, it is closest to the road. And, we do make that statement right on the website and we bring it up with everyone who books. Some people mind the location, some don't. But, if you're someone who minds- we definitely don't want you to find out upon arrival. Your vacation is as important to us as it is to you.... Seriously.
When this guest arrived, she was immediately displeased. So, we offered to move her to the Barn for one night. Room one was the only room available for the second night (she knew that because that's why she booked it in the first place... ). She agreed that she would stay in the Barn and then move back. But then she changed her mind. And, there was nothing we could do. She was informed of our policies and the room location at the time of booking. Then, she arrived and demanded we move her, knowing we were fully booked. So, when she decided to leave, we told her we would do our best to rebook her room, and would refund her if we succeeded. She then said that if we didn't give her her money back she'd "trash" us on TripAdvisor and everywhere else. So, what to do? Give into her demands out of fear of being "trashed" while we hold firm with everyone who doesn't threaten blackmail, or hold firm and risk an unfair and untrue review. Tough choice. But, what's fair for one guest is only fair for everyone else. So we held firm. It's a fair and reasonable policy.
Policies aren't always easy to uphold, and our upholding them sometimes makes people unhappy. But, as a small business we have them for a very important reason. it's why we so fervently recommend trip insurance, and it's why we don't withold information from guests when they're booking.
You can stay anywhere you'd like. And, if you choose Farmhouse, we want you happy. Read the rest of our reviews- most of them are overwhelmingly positive. Sometimes the fit is just wrong- and boy,do we prefer to find that out before a guest books...
Come stay with us. You will be glad you did.
Catherine
Harpenden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

This review is of the accommodation and not the restaurant. The restaurant is outstanding. (Breakfast is at bit odd in that one has to have what for us were over elaborate dishes.) I have left writing this for sometime to allow proper reflection and comparison time.

We arrived after the place was closing up and the restaurant was closed. We had flown in from the UK that day and the drive up from the Bay area had been in rush hour. They booked us a place to eat some miles back from whence we had come. We could not face the drive back, toured Forestville to no avail and dined on the cookies in the room.

The accommodation has issues. First the site is quite small and by a busy main road. This is not your idyllic hidden away lodge. Our room was almost by the road. They offered a White noise machine which I declined and said it got less noisy at night, which was true; but be warned you walk out of these rooms to the thunder of lorries much of the time.

The room was very poor on storage space; there were two large chairs taking up space and they were of no use; a chest of drawers would have been. We had to live out of cases. The bathroom was large, unheated and had no towel rails. The towels were very small/mean. The experience was one of the poorer ones of our recent California trip. We had four nights and if you stay that long you will want to eat elsewhere, the menu does not change in four days, and finding other places to eat within a reasonable drive is not easy.

My advice is visit the restaurant and at most stay one night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Purchase Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We loved our four days at the Farmhouse Inn. The setting is tasteful and charming, the staff extremely knowledgable and eager to please, the kitchen on a very high level. Besides the Thomas Keller like breakfasts, we ate dinner there one night and thought the cooking was first rate. Deserves its Michelan star. The place is maybe a notch below San Ysidro Ranch, but not far behind.

Our only complaints were the room size, our particular unit is being redone we're told over the winter. It was a bit small for the four day stay and the bathroom was weirdly designed. That said, we looked at more spacious and charming rooms (ask for 17). Another slight complaint was that breakfast, prodigious as it is there, starts at 8:30am and takes an hour, which leaves u still a bit full, come lunchtime with all the other eating options in the area. Could start at 7:30 or 8:00.

That said, the overall charm, taste, and savviness of the desk staff make this a place we look forward to coming back to next year.

Room Tip: Go for the new Barn rooms, ESP 17.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Needham, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We picked The Farmhouse Inn as our last place to stay on our recent trip to Northern California and Southern Oregon this past August. We wanted to relax after an active 2 week road trip before flying home. The inn sounded like just the place. Unfortunately it did not completely meet our expectations. We have stayed at many similar properties in size, price and luxury. The Farmhouse Inn just did not meet the standard set by our other experiences. Even on this trip, the Tu Tu Tun lodge in Gold Beach, Oregon far outmatched the Farmhouse Inn in service, rooms, price and luxury.

The problem here was not the rooms. We stayed in a deluxe barn room that was very comfortable. It was spacious with a large deck. The bathroom was large and comfortable. The steam shower was a great feature. Especially on the morning when there was no hot water. We are guessing there was a problem that day as it was fine the rest of our stay.

The pool area was okay, but nothing special. There is a fire pit that can be lit at night. The inn provides the makings for s'mores and that is a great bonus. They also stock your room refrigerator with free water and soda.

The concierges were a mixed bag. Some were quite friendly and genuine. Others smiles seemed to be forced and it was obvious that they would rather be doing something else than talking to you. But I do want to mention Teresa who was wonderful and helpful. Nothing seemed forced with her. Her desire to help was genuine. She made sure we had breakfast in our room prior to our departure in the morning. We also got great winery recommendations, bicycle rentals and a mistake in our Cyrus reservation fixed by another concerierge whose name I am sorry I forget. The Cyrus mistake was that when I made our room reservation, I requested the Cyrus reservation to be made as well. I was told that it would be put on the calendar to make and I would be notified if there were any problems. It turned out that the reservation got forgotten to be made. It was not until I reviewed my notes and mentioned the name of the person I spoke to and what I was told that the desk person seemed to care.

And talking about breakfast, while it was delicious, it was limited to 2 choices. There was only one type of pastry each day followed by the egg dish. You could not even get just some plain toast and butter according to the waitress. There was also very long waits to get the morning menu, then to have your order taken. And there was no sense that people who have been seated for 10 minutes without a greeting should helped before the person who just walked in.

I waited to write this review because I wanted to be fair in my comments and think our stay through. The underlying problem to us seems to be that for an inn of this level, it is quite understaffed. The front office does not open at a convenient time for someone who has to catch a flight. We had to wait until they opened to check out and leave. The breakfast is understaffed. There was just not enough help to take care of each table in a timely manner. I do not feel the servers were at fault. There was just too many guest eating for them to handle easily. This also was noted at dinner as well which I will discuss in a seperate review. Also, there is no bellman in the am. I was told that the housekeeping women would help with our bags if needed. I just carried the bags myself (all 6 of them). We have never stayed an equal property that did not have early office hours and full day help for baggage.

All in all, it was a nice place to stay but not up to any other property of supposedly equal luxury, price and service that we have stayed at all across the United States, Europe or Asia. I know this inn can attain a higher level, all the basic pieces are in place, they just need to look at what is missing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Farmhouse Conci... S, Manager at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I am always appreciative when someone takes the time to review our property. It is unfortunate that we did not meet some of the expectations of this particular guest. Regarding the Cyrus dinner reservation, it is true, I did overlook that. This so very rarely happens, but because I have such a fantastic Concierge team they were able to call Cyrus (with whom we have a very close relationship) and reserve a prime dining time on a Monday night at 6:30pm. Viola! Situation completely rectified within a short amount of time.

Concerning my concierge staff, I think perception is a very subjective thing. If you read all of our reviews, top to bottom, wonderful service is almost always mentioned. My staff loves what they do. They are sincere in their actions and they genuinely enjoy working with all of our guests.

I won’t go through every point this guest has made, but I will say that I do take every review very seriously and continue to be proactive in making our property the best it can be. As this guest himself said, we are a very nice place to stay. I hope you will come visit us and experience this for yourself.

Tamera Taylor
Guest Services Manager

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!