“Great get away trip.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Clara, California
“Great get away trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Room, gardens, pool, and service were very good.

For vegetarians, dinner at restaurant was average, especially considering the price, except for the deserts which were really tasty (Heath bar crunch ice cream and chocolate souffle with a bourbon sauce). It's definitely a meat eaters restaurant and our fellow diners seemed to be really enjoying themselves. A plus is that the chef did not over salt the food. Also, I must say that breakfast was noteworthy (wonderful melon soup, delicious homemade muffin, and savory huevous rancheros).

Will certainly return. Probably won't eat dinner at the restaurant again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip that included 4 nights at the Farmhouse. As we continued our trek down the California coast (to a much more expensive inn) we kept saying to one another, 'I miss the Farmhouse." Here's a breakdown of what we adored about our stay:

THE ROOM
We stayed in Cottage #2, which was a Heritage Deluxe room. It was AMAZING. We loved the rustic theme throughout the room. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was really spacious. There is a nice little sink area where you can refill water bottles and pour out drinks and such (a nice touch, as opposed to the bathroom sink) and there is a decent sized mini fridge below for you to store whatever you need. Like everyone else, we loved the turndown service at night with cookies and milk, and we borrowed a few movies from the front desk to watch before bed at night. We also loved the 'goody box' that was in our room.. full of nice-to-haves and treats that I don't want to share for the sake of surprise. I think there has been some mention about highway traffic, but it didn't bother us (and we were the second cottage from the road). In short, I want my own Farmhouse Cottage in my apartment.

THE INN & GROUNDS
Ugh. It's just incredible. Lush gardens full of flowers and herbs everywhere, tucked away cottages, a spacious and comfortable pool area, and a gorgeous restaurant... it all just blows the mind. We aren't cat people, and we even liked the cats! We had special reservations elsewhere on the two nights that the Farmhouse Restaurant was open (they're closed on Tues and Weds), but the breakfast was worthy of a Michelin star in itself! Steak and eggs, huevos rancheros, farm cheese crepes, some sort of crazy garden omelet... just wow. The coffee is also wonderful at breakfast time, just what we needed to kickstart long days of wine tasting. Speaking of wine tasting... the Farmhouse isn't situated in any sort of 'wine strip mall' like the Bardessono in Napa. There are tons and tons of wineries nearby, but they're off the beaten path (Porter Creek, a 10-minute drive, was a personal fave). Yountville is about a 75-minute drive, but the drive itself is so beautiful that we didn't mind it. What I'm getting at is that if your trip to the area is short and you want to hit a lot of Napa wineries, this place might be too far off the grid for you (a shame), but if you're into mixing Napa and Sonoma and want serenity to go along with it, this is your place.

THE SERVICE
We had nothing but wonderful encounters with everyone we met from Farmhouse. To the welcoming and kind ladies in the concierge area, to the guys who helped with turndown serivce, to the lovely waitstaff at breakfast—its clear there is a sense of family and happiness in this place and it radiates through everyone. To me, all of the above sections could still be true, but it would be nothing without really nice people helping you through your day. They offered up genuine recommendations for what to do on the 4th of July (beware of traffic, so we grabbed an early dinner in Healdsburg and came back and did s'mores around the fire), didn't scoff at the amount of sugar scrub we got from the bath bar, and were very helpful with wine shipping as we had to leave. Thanks so much for making our stay so amazing!

Ok, now i REALLY want to go back.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We went to California to celebrate my 40th Birthday and our 4th Wedding Anniversary. I knew the 40th was worth celebrating, and we decided the Farmhouse Inn was the perfect way to splurge. The summer special of checking in on a Tuesday, staying for three nights and getting Tuesday free was what convinced us to book the room. Having looked at the pictures and read the reviews, we decided to book a barn room. We were placed upstairs in a room in the back of the property where there was total privacy.

Our suite was bigger than our DC condo, and we loved it - especially the bathroom. The toilet is completely separate from the space where the two-person shower and tub are located. Both spaces have heated floors (love heated bathroom floors!). We stocked up on different bath products from the bath bar each time we were in the main house - an avocado soap, bath salts and a honey/sugar scrub became my staples during the trip. I took two baths each day we were there and loved using the honey/sugar scrub in the shower. My skin has never felt so soft!

We loved the details at each twist and turn - the cookies delivered at night, the milk in the refrigerator, the box of goodies, the wine upon arrival, and the flowers everywhere. Morning breakfast is wonderful on the outside patio. There was a wine reception one evening where we met the owners and a local winery representative. The best morsels of food came on the night we went to the Farmhouse Inn Restaurant, however. The burrata appetizer is not to be missed - seriously. You will keep dreaming about it after you have left. The wine pairings were delightful, and we loved the passion that came with each explanation from the sommelier. My husband had the rabbit, and I had the lamb. Both were exceptional on every level - worth every penny!

What would have made it better? If you need a dark room to sleep, then the barns are not for you. There are large windows in the top of the bedroom with no shades on them and light comes in from the barn hallway. I tried the sleep mask provided one night but had a hard time adjusting to sleeping in a mask. I also wish, given the complete privacy of the barn rooms and the balcony, that breakfast could be delivered to these rooms. It would have enabled us to completely go off the clock and stay in our robes even longer, enjoying the steam shower and tub even more.

The staff was great. Concierges were always asking if we needed anything. The wait staff in the dining room, especially during dinner, were just amazing. I had one problem with my second course which I pointed out, and three people made sure it was fixed immediately, apologizing profusely. Jen was our server at dinner, and we would go back just for her!

We would recommend the Farmhouse to others. The barn rooms are worthy of a celebration, for sure. But guests staying in other rooms seemed equally delighted with their stay and just as relaxed. We might go with a regular room the next time.

All in all - delightful!

While at the Farmhouse, our favorite meal in Healdsburg was at Willi's - delicious and generous tapas of all kinds. We had a wonderful dinner at Scopa. And we absolutely loved Gene from the Healdsburg Area Wine Tours if you are looking for a great guide to take you around. His fee was incredibly reasonable, his Lexus is very comfortable, and we only paid for one tasting out of the six wineries we visited. A complete gem!

East Setauket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just returned from the trip of a lifetime....you MUST see it to believe it! My partner and I were turning 50 and we decided to go BIG but we had no idea just how phenomenal it would be. The Farmhouse Inn has left us speechless! we actually cried when we walked into our room...room 18...there was so much thought and detail put into every piece in that room....We knew it was expensive but let me tell you it was WELL WORTH EVERY cent!!!!
Tamara and her team of concierges were wonderful and knowledgeable! Make sure you hit a private picnic at Copain vineyards...to die for view! Also most restaurants have small plates which is perfect for light but filling dining......and of course the Farmhouse Inn restaurant was AMAZING!! Our menus actually said Happy Birthday on top and the food was just top notch. Even the gourmet breakfast was delicious and actually beautiful to look at. Grounds are gorgeous and well kept by Janna...HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!! JUST DO IT!!!!

Room Tip: If you want something super special the luxury barn rooms are worth it....rooms in the main inn are...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

What a great place to spend the weekend. The room was very warm and relaxing, we were in the barn part of the Inn, which has been recently added. The scents, the music, the gardens, the gift box in the room - all added to a wonderful stay for my wife, teenage daughter and myself. The staff were extremely helpful, particularly Anna at the Concierge desk, and the surroundings magical. We had a day trip that was phenomenal - seeing a Redwood grove, followed by the beach at Goat Rock, then it turns out the rodeo was in town in Duncans Mills, and of course we hit a few wineries for some tastings. Spending the early evening by the pool followed by smores. Will clearly return to this garden spot. My only advice - add a few kid friendly items to the dinner menu.

Room Tip: The barn rooms have sizable suites and a fireplace, go for one on the upper deck if you want some su...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mendocino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked at the last minute for a quick anniversary overnight. The Inn mentioned that the only room available was their smallest room. What a lesson in what's important!

We checked in to find the most amazing room. While it wasn't large, it absolutely wrapped us in warmth and comfort. What they neglected to tell us was that this "small" room also contained a jacuzzi tub AND a sauna for two!

The appointments and finishes are beautiful. Luxurious linens, fresh flowers, a tray of snacks, two cupcakes, a coffee maker, fridge (stocked with, among other items, two servings of milk to go with the cookies provided at turn down), great robes, flat panel television with a DVD player (a nice selections of current, classic and independent titles available for guest use in the lobby), wifi, and I could go on and on. I own an inn, so I am pretty critical. I couldn't find anything I'd change.

Our room, #5, was closer to the front of the property. We heard no road noise. In fact, I remarked to my wife that the unit was very quiet.

The grounds are beautiful. In addition to a nice pool area, there is a deck with an outdoor fireplace, and in the gardens, a fire pit surrounded by adirondack chairs. Unfortunately, we were here on a Tuesday night, so their Michellin-starred restaurant was closed. We also didn't get a chance to have any treatments at their spa, but a friend of mine sings it's praises.

The Farmhouse is a truly amazing destination inn in the heart of Sonoma's wine country. We loved our stay and will highly recommend it to guests venturing south from our inn.

Room Tip: If this was their smallest room, I really don't think you can go wrong with any room.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Best B & B around and we've been to many up and down the coast - A MUST VISIT!! Great food and excellent service...And do yourself a favor and take the bike ride with Dave. He provides the bikes, the lunch and takes you to some off the beaten path wineries. Great bike tour guide and he tailors the ride to your ability.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!