“Wish we could've stayed longer” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mercer, Pennsylvania
“Wish we could've stayed longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I found this place on an online search while I was trying to put together a wine trip/tour to surprise my wife. What a nice place. It was everything it portrays in the pictures and to be honest I dont think the pictures do it justice. It was even better in person. My only regret was that it was only a stop over for us and we didnt get a chance to fully enjoy all of what they had to offer. I loved our room. Great balcony and 2 way fireplace inside and out and great shower & bath. The beds were so comfortable. It was so nice to bring home a bottle of wine and sit on the patio outside our room with the fire and relax. The atmosphere here is as relaxing as it can get. The staff was friendly and polite. The breakfast in the morning is top notch. Everything in and about this facility is top notch in my opinion. Well done!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This was the second time I stayed at the Farmhouse Inn and had a great time. It is in a beautiful location and the restaurant is awesome (make sure to make a reservation). I would have given it a better review, but I had a little problem with the room and some of the service, not enough to keep me away, but just enough to make my recent stay not as perfect as I would have liked.
The room I booked was really cute and it had great ammenities, I loved the fireplace and the heated bathroom floors. The spa tub was just awesome.
I just have a few observations or complaints, which has mainly to do with my expectations based on the cost of the room per night.
First of all, if you want complete silence, do not book room 12. There are stairs that are just outside the room and it gets very loud in the room when they are being used. Keep in mind that it is an Inn and there are not a lot of people using the stairs, but when you are hoping to sleep in and you are woken to stomping at 7:30am it kind of ruins the experience.
The other thing that kind of rubbed me the wrong way was the lack of communication with the housekeeping staff. I booked a reservation at the spa (best massage in a very long time and worth every penny) and at the restaurant through the front desk and I expected that housekeeping would be coordinated with the reservations. Instead, I had housekeeping knocking on my door at the most inopportune times.
Keep in mind that my complaints have to do with the price point of the rooms. I would not really care about these things, but based on how much I was paying per night I had a much different expectation. I still had a great time and would recommend it to friends, especially the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thanks for the great feedback! And, you'll be glad to know that we've just installed sound cancelling treads on the stairways in the Barn. We're glad to report that you can clomp up those stairs in stilettos now and it can't be heard in the rooms. And I am sorry about the housekeeping intrusions. We're working on a better system for that too. I do hope we'll see you again soon.
Catherine
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

(see separate restaurant review)
We used a mid-week special for the room for one night and found it good, although still pricey. The cottage was well-appointed and decorated...definitely comfortable and a pleasure to be in. Everything worked and the details were nice, including the free internet. Two "but"s...the heating was extremely loud, and there was throughout the slight sense of regimentation for the benefit of staff rather than the customer (e.g. the requirement to book a breakfast time in 15-minute increments and direction-notes everywhere). It makes a nice package and is worth a trip, but the excellence of the restaurant outshines the lodging aspect.

Room Tip: Heritage rooms 1-3 are close to the road, and the traffic noise, while intermittent, is clearly audi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for coming to visit, and I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant! I'm so sorry about the "whooshing" sound from the heater. We were able to get that fixed the morning you mentioned it- I wish you'd been able to stay longer! And, I'm sorry to hear that we seemed "regimented". Boy, that's not at all what we want to hear! We do have to ask you to make a breakfast reservation. With 18 rooms, all coming in in a two hour period, the only way we can assure an excellent experience is to make sure arrivals are staggered. But, we know you're here to relax, and we're happy to work with your schedule. We know a stay at Farmhouse isn't an inexpensive experience. And your enjoyment is incredibly important to us. Please do come back and give us another chance to get it perfect for you.
My best,
Catherine
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

The Farmhouse Inn is warmth, style, elegance, and beauty incarnate.

After a grueling year and a cross-country move, my husband and I decided at the last minute to spend three days over Christmas in CA Wine Country. We wanted to eat some great food, drink some great wine, bathe in a great tub, and above all relax in comfortable, unpretentious style. Our hopes were exceeded from the first call to make the reservation.

STAFF: Not only was the staff professional and solicitous to our desires, their concierge services were top notch: they found a great package deal for us; the made recommendations about the room we would stay in based on specific interest and aesthetic, as well as recommended specific vineyards to visit (free tastings!); they made dining reservations at the already booked Madrona Manor for Christmas night; and they gave us a late check out because I was feeling ill the morning we were meant to leave.

ROOMS & AMENITIES: We stayed in the Barn (Room #17). The room is awash with rustic whites, blending natural elements with modern amenities and fixtures; for instance, a dual-sided indoor/outdoor gas fireplace—accessible from both the bedroom and the private deck; radiant flooring in the bath and entrance, a soaking tub overlooking the deck and wood beyond, and dimmer switches on all the lights. Water pressure was perfect in both the tub and the shower. Fast hot water. Double sinks, separate toilet with pocket barn door. Nice sitting area. Great bed. VERY private.

FOOD/RESTAURANT: We ate dinner at the Farmhouse on Christmas Eve and the Madrona Manor (FYI a Michelin Star restaurant) on Christmas Day. Both were wonderful, but honestly, the Farmhouse was better; more varied, more interesting, more fun—a sophisticated twist on dishes we all know and love. Breakfast was also fantastic! Great service! Wonderful wine pairings.

FUN EXTRAS: In the office, they have a “spa” buffet, equipped with various free bath salts and handmade soap which you can cut yourself. We didn’t get to the spa, but it looked fantastic.

If you're looking for a stuffy, corporate hotel where monotonous "design" rules the day, don't go here. If you're looking for a place that somehow allows you to relax and come alive all at the same time, try the Farmhouse.

Room Tip: Barn Rooms are seriously nice, most private and quiet. The rooms in the main house are nice, but the...
Cowan Heights, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We enjoyed two delightful romantic nights in the refurnished "barn" at the Farmhouse Inn and Restaurant. The first floor room was quite large and comfortable with a gas log fireplace that could be viewed both from the room and the outside patio. The bathroom floor was able to be heated, a comfort when exiting the shower, which could be doubled as a steam room, or the jacuzzi bath. Greatr beds, bedding and large thick towels complement the charming room.The service personnel were professional, helpful and friendly. From your being greeeted at check-in to suggestions for winery visits and restaurants the lobby staff were pleasant and accomodating. Jason, the room servicer, should be complemented for his cheerful assistance. The little touches that have been adopted by management make your stay even more pleasant; mistletoe on the wall behind the bed; the greenerey added to the wooden chandlers in the restaurant, the paintings depicting farm life below the mouldings in the ining room and the cookies left in the room by Jason during his turn down service all add to the ambience of this most delightful get-away.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We had such a great time at the Farmhouse in. The Barn room was so comfortable and warm and lovely, overlooking the hillside with a wonderful fireplace and patio and four-poster bed. Charlotte (the cat) visited us the first morning, and Jasper (the other cat) visited us that night! The food at the restaurant and service throughout were wonderful. We'd go back in a minute.

Room Tip: The Barn rooms are wonderful and quieter that the cottages closer to the street.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Visited the Farmhouse a couple weeks ago with friends, and I haven't been able to stop talking about it. We had dinner and stayed one night in the cottage room. First, the dinner - we all went with the 4 course plus wine pairing. My delightful meal was, a starter of sea scallop and pork belly with a parsley puree, followed by seared foie gras atop homemade brioche with pickled persimmon, pomegranate, and a basalmic reduction (star of the night); then for the main, I had rabbit rabbit rabbit, which included the rack, bacon wrapped loin, and the leg in a mustard sauce. For dessert, the chocolate souffle was rich, gooey, and delicious. Our sommelier even gifted us the pumpkin creme brulee. Everything was even more incredible than it sounds.
The cottage we stayed in was lovely. We lit a fire in the fireplace, toasted smores, and ate homemade cookies and milk. The next morning, the complimentary breakfast was a savoury fritatta with oven roasted potatoes, a flaky scone, and yogurt.
Everything was absolutely amazing! Definitely recommend this for special occasions!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!