The journey to this hotel was the best part of the whole experience - it's in the middle of nowhere and so you have to get a ferry across the reservoir. The hotel itself though is a bit of a let down when you get there. I don't know when it was built, but it looks like it hasn't had any love and attention since then at all. The rooms are really old fashioned and simply not up to Hilton standard. Worse still, the complex is designed like a native longhouse and so the corridor you use to reach your room is open to the elements. That means that you have to dodge endless piles of bat excrement to get to your room. The corridor itself is dimly lit and really gives the impression of walking into Alcatraz. I was at least pleased that we were in the nearest longhouse to reception as some of the blocks were absolutely miles away.
I guess I shouldn't have expected Internet access is such a remote place, and indeed the only access available was from a DIAL-UP (I kid you not) connected computer in reception.
The food was not bad but was very expensive - hardly surprising really when you're a captive audience there.
- Also Known As:
- Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed By Hilton Hotel Kuching
- Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed By Hilton Hotel
- Hilton International Kuching
- Hilton Kuching
- Kuching Hilton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the edge of the world's most ancient rainforest on the island of Borneo, the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton is a self-contained haven on the 20 hectares shore of the Batang Ai Lake peninsula.275 km from Kuching city, the resort is surrounded by tropical rainforest just waiting to be explored.It takes a 4-hour drive and a 20-minute boat ride to get to the resort. A daily shuttle service is available from Hilton Kuching. A fee is applicable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hilton EMEA, Tingo, Venere, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.