“Bad Service Experience in Colmar Tropicale” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills

You added Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills to your Saves list
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   KM48, Persimpangan Bertingkat Lebuhraya Karak, Bukit Tinggi 28750, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bukit Tinggi
Kuala Lumpur
“Bad Service Experience in Colmar Tropicale”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Cut-and-paste from my letter to Berjaya Executive Office and Berjaya Hills management.

The incidences that I have experienced are as below:-

1.Front Desk
Incident 1: Two hours after I have checked-in, your front desk have slipped in a check out notice in my room reminding me that I should check out the next day. However, my leave due is only two days after that. It leaves me with an impression that your hotel can’t wait to kick me out. When I called the front desk regarding this, they were not apologetic and indifferent regarding this.
Incident 2: Later, your housekeeping has sent me an extra bed which I did not request. After arguing, they then left the bed in front of my door. I do not really understand their action for doing that. Again, when reporting this to the front desk, they again showed indifference towards the matter and the bed remained in front of my door during the length of my stay

2. Restaurant – La Poullet Roti
Incident 1: This happens on the night of my visit, my wife and I went to this restaurant to have our dinner as there were not many options available. This was around 8 pm. They advised me to come back around 9 pm as they were no chicken available at that time. When my wife and I came back around 9.05 pm, they again told me that there were no chicken available and that we could not get a meal there as we were 5 minutes late. The waitress was very rude and sarcastic regarding this. We ended up having McDonald’s at Genting Sempah instead.
Incident 2: On the 2nd night of my visit, we decided to give this restaurant another try, this time at 6pm to ensure availability of the food. However, again to our disappointment, we were told that there were no seats available. When we pointed out to an empty table, the waiter told me that he has to give priority to the guests with dinner vouchers. Am I not a paying guest too, that I also deserve a table without the needing of a dinner voucher? The tables should be on a first come first basis, unless a reservation was made.

3. Restaurant – La Boulengerie
Incident 1: Throughout our stay, we have “tried” to try out the sandwiches at this restaurant. However, each time we wanted to order a sandwich, it is always unavailable. There was one time, during our last day of visit that we saw a few customers eating sandwiches in the store. With high hopes, we approached the counter where the cashier was preparing a sandwich for a customer. So confident that there was sandwich this time, I ordered a sandwich. However, the cashier shook her head and said that no sandwiches were available. I as-a-matter-of-factly pointed out at the sandwich that she was making. She then later said that she was making the sandwich because the customer in front of me wants it. This is a very stupid excuse and a really bad customer service.

4. Restaurant-La Blasson
Incident 1: My wife and I were queuing up for breakfast ahead of a Japanese couple. There were an empty table and the usherer asked us to go in. On the way in, the floor manager rudely stopped us and questioned us in a very derogatory manner as to who asked us to enter. He then, suspiciously asked his staff who came first between the Japanese couple and us. I felt very insulted by this incident. I know that Berjaya have served many international guests, however “uncivilized” Malaysians are, we are paying guests and should be treated with the same respect as the other international guests

5. Japanese Tea House
Incident 1: After a terribly long wait for the shuttle, my wife and I made it to the Japanese Tea House. We were very excited to watch the tea ceremony which was much talked about. It is probably one of the main reason we visited Bukit Tinggi. However, after the long hike, we were disappointed when the attendant told us that the ceremony cannot be held as there were too many tourists. There were probably about 30 tourists there. What I don’t get about this is, it is a tourist destination hence the tea ceremony should accommodate the crowd. Does this mean, that I should wait during office hours before I can actually experience the tea ceremony?

6. General
I feel that the hotel is understaffed and that one person is acting too many roles. For instance, the waitress in La Boulagerie is doing everything from cashiering, cleaning up and making sandwiches.
The shuttle service is very limited, there were too many people going to Japanese Tea House and there were only one shuttle available every half hour.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
Perak
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I went to Colmar Tropicale last weekend. This is my first time in Bukit Tinggi, Pahang. From the brochures about this place, I thought that the place is very interesting and I can enjoy hours of fun exploring places. But to my dismay, I finished exploring them in just 4 hours. Yes, they are interesting but why should you stay in the hotel for days when you have explore everything there just in one day. In the Japanese village, there are souvenir shop, botanical garden, a Japanese restaurant, Tatami Spa, and a Japanese Tea Garden. They provide kimono for rent but the price is too high. I mean RM20 for a simple pattern, cotton kimono! For that price, they should provide a kimono made from silk or other expensive fabrics. Anyway, the scenery is beautiful especially at Colmar Tropicale. But I hope the management will take good care on the cleanliness of the place. The place is beautiful but it won't be anymore if it is dirty. I recommend that if you plan to visit this place, just visit. And stay at other places.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

The hotel has refurbished about half of its rooms and I stayed at one of the newly refurbished ones. Everything was in great condition except for the hot water shower knob which fell off. I merely pushed back the knob to its place and the shower worked fine after that.

My room faced the lovely golf course and I simply love my four poster bed!

Service was excellent but the food was nothing much to shout about.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

With nothing much to do for the weekend, thought of trying something low key compared to the usual packed holiday resorts, hence Berjaya Hills.

The drive was easy from PJ, about 1 hour. The drive up the hill was at first confusing, seeing that the old road to Colmare was closed/blocked, but the road leading to the golf resort eventually branched off to Colmare.

Booked the 1 bedroom suite. Was given a 1st floor unit at a separate building from the reception, down the road. The condition was really bad, smelled old, stains on furniture and mold on tiles/toilets, etc. Complained to the reception and insisted on a better alternative despite their claims that all units are similar ?!

Was given 2nd floor unit above reception, this time. The condition was so much better, yet still dated looking but much cleaner. Was given a baby cot, but the mattress was probably filled with plastic wrap or something, baby couldn't sleep well due to plastic crunching sounds. Overall, the unit was fine. Woke up to early morning noises from some stupid company event in nearby park at 6+am!?

The town square is fairly small, probably 5 mins walk end to end, with stalls here and there along the way and shops/restaurants lining the path. There's a stage in the middle, where shows and games are organised.

Other attractions eg. rabbit park, horse rides and japanese gardens are not within walking distance. They would require own driving or waiting for their hourly transfers. Rabbit park would be interesting for the young ones, rabbit food sells at RM1.50 per small pack. Japanese gardens require lots of footwork, up and down the hills/slopes.

Weather is cool with lots of hot sunlight. Summer wear is sufficient.

Restaurant food are decent and quite a variety eg. french, malaysian, italian, fast food, bakery. Some places have limited seating al-fresco. Prices are slightly higher as expected but still cheaper than hotel standards.

Overall, 1 night is more than enough to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — Old
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Went to Natas Fair with boyfriend to book a holiday trip, in the end we booked two. One Berjaya Hills - Pahang, one in Redang. We were CONNED by the brochure and all the pictures. Gotten a one bedroom suite for us and one for his family. Those are NOT suites. Those are CHALETS!! And dirty and shabby chalets! But thats not the worst.. the worst is the staff there. Understaffed, inefficient and unfriendly. We had to change our rooms 3 times before we are satisfied. Argh!! My face was thunder black by the end of all the fiasco. What a trip!! The food was so-so. There was only ONE overtaxed waitress doing everything. From taking orders, clear tables, and perhaps cook the food. But honestly, Colmar should do something bout the staff training and housekeeping!! Do remember to latch ur door. The staff will only knock once before opening the door!! Thats what happen to us when we called them to remove the extra bed in our room. So rude.. All in all, the exterior is nice - take lotsa pictures. But honestly there is nothing to do there and the room sucks to the core. We will never go back there EVER AGAIN. PERIOD! U want a nice short weekend trip, pls go KL or Genting. Its more worth it. At least we managed to do some shopping and good food at KL.

• Liked — Checking out is the best part!
  • Disliked — Staff and cleanliness of the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Frankfurt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

We are a family of four and heard that this place was to be good for a day trip and that there nice things to do. So we did book for 3 nights.
When we arrived the parking lot was under renovation! We where impressed from the out side of the Hotel and expected a very nice three night but... read on.
After we checked in we where guided to the hotel room. The first thing we saw was towels all over the hallway.
The hallway was very very untidy and dirty. When we opend the door to a very big room we where shocked. I have never seen something like this in my entirer live. The chair was brocken the floor was scratched, the wall was not painted for more than 10 years. When I opend the bath room there was mold all over the toilet. But one thing I have to say I don't know how they do it but there where no bugs and the bed sheets where surpisingly clean.
We imidatly desided that we want an othher room but the staff told us that all what they have is this room since the hotel is full.
Since we came from a long flight and I was to tired to drive back we decided to stay one night and leave next day.
For dinner we joint the buffet. This was the worst dining expirence we ever had. I would higly recomend to bring your own food. I will never go there again.

• Liked — nothing but the out side few in the rear few mirorr of my rental car
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Muscat, Oman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

After reading all the reviews I went there expecting the worst. It is not so bad actually if you are able to adjust to it. Yes the sofa is a bit old and dusty but the bedrooms were clean, sheets were clean, bathroom was clean even though there were a few stains. Breakfast spread was good and overall a nice ambience with the french theme and all. It is worth the money to stay for 1 night. Dont miss the shows they have every night , fun to watch. Would definitely recommend going to this place at least once.

• Liked — The french themed surroundings, the shows in the evening, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been a bit better
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills? Share your experiences!