“Apple Tree Inn / Now "the Cottages at Tenaya"” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fish Camp
GreenLeadersGold level
Pleasant Hill, CA
“Apple Tree Inn / Now "the Cottages at Tenaya"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Upon looking to Trip Advisor for accomodations near yosemite, I see that Apple Tree Inn is still listed as place to stay. I just wanted to inform those who are looking to stay here that it has been acquired by Tenaya Lodge next door and is now called "the Cottages at Tenaya." I have stayed at both - a room at the Lodge, and at one of the upstairs units in the cottages next door. We have made this a must-do winter vacation spot for the last couple of years and look forward to it every year. We are so happy that Tenaya has aquired the former Apple Tree Inn because now we can have the best of both worlds. We can stay in a cottage but still be able to acces all that the next door 4 star lodge has to offer - large indoor heated swimming pool w/jacuzzi, (and outdoor pool in the summer), a work out center/gym and spa, a nice, large, covered ice skating rink, snow-sledding hills and 3 dining options - deli, bar & grill, and a nicer restaurant (although a little pricey - but you would have to travel a distance to go somewhere else). While the rooms at the Lodge are nice, we prefer the roomier cottage style rooms even though you need to walk a very short distance to access the Lodge. Some of the cottages are split into three seperate accomodations: two downstairs units and one larger upstairs unit that has a seperate bedroom. We opt for the larger, more quiet, upstairs unit and it costs us about the same as a large room at the lodge - but it offers a seperate bedroom, an electric fireplace, a balcony, and a microwave and sm.refrigerator. There are other smaller, intimate cottages with just one room and I believe some with two rooms. It does take about a one hour drive on a two lane road to Yosemite Valley, but we plan our trip and see Yosemite on the way to Tenaya Lodge and on our return from the Lodge, because there is so much to do at the Lodge, as well as a really nice, free sno-park about 2 miles away. It has become such a nice family tradition for us, and Yosemite in the snow is such an Awesome site.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
oakland, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Stayed at the Tenaya Lodge for Father's Day weekend. The property is pleasant enough with a nice pool, 3 restaurants, etc. but be aware that it is at least 45 minutes away from the valley floor of Yosemite!! This is 45 minutes on a winding road...both ways! All the things that visitors want to see are in the valley with the exception of Glacier Point. Nice place, but the driving was exhausting. We will stay on the valley floor the next time.

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The rooms are nicely decorated. The hotel has a good feel, the reception is great with a real lodge feel. The breakfast was good. There is a laundry room with tumble dryers which was a great benefit. The location is good, just outside Yosemite. There are two pools a small heated outdoor and an indoor - both are good.

Rapid City, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We chose the Tenaya Lodge for Yosemite because all the Yosemite hotels were booked by the time we looked for lodging. We stayed in the Sugar Pine cabin, formerly the Apple Tree Inn B&B, and it is separate from the main lodge. Our room was very clean, but at $380+ per night for a 1 bedroom suite, it was extremely overpriced. There were three rooms in our cabin, two downstairs and one upstairs. We had the one upstairs. It was nice, but there was nothing special about it, other than the fireplace. It was very quiet and had a balcony. I would not recommend taking a Suburban type vehicle to the cabin, as the one way one lane loop to get to the cabin was extremely curvy and tight. The lodge had OK service, nothing special. There is only one deli/grocery store in Fish Camp, which practically forces you to eat at the lodge. The food is good, but again, extremely overpriced. If you want to eat at the main restaurant, the Sierra, it would do you good to make reservations, as the waits are LONG. I would only recommend this hotel if all the hotels in Yosemite Valley are booked, as it is a one hour drive on a two lane road to the valley.

Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

As a family we aren't real outdoor types - but we couldn't visit California without visiting Yosemite. we stayed at Tenaya Lodge in one of their Cottages. The place is fabulous. The staff are so welcoming. We arrived early April and whilst its was mid 70s as we drove along the California highway once we started our climb the temperature soon dropped 20 degrees and we could see snow on the side of the roads. Our first view as we pulled into reception was a huge display of snow shoes!!
The staff were really welcoming and the concierge in particular was so helpful in arranging our Yosemite tour.
The boys iceskated on the outdoor rink, we enjoyed meals and drink in the bar/restaurant and there is a fully stocked shop.
Our tour of Yosemite is the best tour we have ever gone on - our guide was fantastic with a wonderful personality and local knowledge and the tour company itself, Discover Yosemite, were briliant, with great luxury mini coaches, lovely packed lunches and constant refreshments. We had a day we will never forget and have so many great photos! Would thorougly recommend

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Cedar Park, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We went there Jun 7-June 10. As a whole I think it's just ok.

The price I paid for the rooms, in my opinion is overpriced. For the price I was expecting a Hyatt Resort kind of accomodation but I was disappointed. The lobby was nice but Animal Kingdom Lodge is far superior. I chose this hotel because I am a bit skeptical about staying in a motel kind of lodging in a national park. I wanted a safe, secure and I can sleep well at night. Tenaya Lodge gave me a good night sleep. I asked for an upgrade but the front desk lady didn't even try to do anything but just said, sorry we can't coz' we are quite booked. But along the road, there's a huge sign that says, "ROOMS AVAILABLE", checked the website and there's tons available. Ironic isn't.

The front desk originally gave me a room facing the parking lot. When I asked " Am I facing the parking lot? She said, every room actually have a view of the parking lot." Then she changed my room to have a view of the pool. But does she still needed to say that?

The room is just average 2 BR double bed, nothing big or fancy. The Hampton Inn Visalia I stayed at was nicer. (not kidding) We only needed a place to rest our heads anyway.

The deli is overpriced on most items. But I loved the breakfast menus.

The restaurants- i find the hamburgers really really good. The other entrees are expensive but the sandwich is a bit high but I expected them anyway, about $11-$15. Kids food is around $7.

The internet is $/day, biking is not complimentary.Valet is complimentary.

The swimming pool is nothing fancy. They use salt instead of chlorine. The water was kinda salty. There's some molds growing on the gutters on the side of the pool. We still swam anyways and didn't get sick.

The drive to the valley is about 45 min to an hour depending if you got stuck with someone in front of you who drives really slow and doesn't know how to use the turn out.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I have stayed at many AAA rated 4 diamond resorts, and they normally are the gold standard for wonderful hotels, with beautiful interior, great location and excellent service. Wow, were we disappointed. The location is very close to one of the Yosemite entrances, but that is about the best feature it has. Yes, it is clean and there are nice amenities like a hot tub and pool, but for $285, I would have expected more than a view directly on the parking lot. (We asked for a better room and were told that we could if we were willing to pay more :-)). We literally had to keep the curtains shut all the time, as otherwise we would have had no privacy at all from people parkign their cars and getting in and out. The carpet of the room was dated and the bathroom very basic. The only telephone that worked in our room was in the toilet, which also had a bottle opener on the toilet door in the height off (you guess)...how hygenic. The architecture of the hotel is such that there is a parking lot wrapped all around the hotel, so, I am not sure if there is any room without a parking lot view. A shame, when forrest surrounds.

The food was also overpriced and not very good. Our Mahi Mahi for $25 was comprised of two tiny pieces that were dried up, and my vegetarian soba noodles for $20 had been sitting out for quite a bit before making it to our table (we had to also send our first glass of wine back). The other restaurant is a sports bar with noisy TVs and ok bar food. Breakfast had a nice buffet, although I could not see any bread or bagels anywhere (breakfast service was very good).

The lobby is in lodge style, but very cold and uninviting. It reminded me of a Disney hotel in Anaheim that I once stayed at (a fake lodge), as there are deer and a fake wood cabin displayed by the top window of the hotel entrance.

Bottom line, we did not find the property is not worth the price tag, as a long distance from Yosemite Valley; and our only positive comment was "well, we won't spend much time in the room anyhow". I recommend Curry Village or camping, as it seems most Yosemite hotels simply capitalize on their location, realizing they don't have to offer much to the many international visitors who are unlikely to come back. (I have to say, the Ahwanee looks lovely, but it does have a $488 price tag for the cheapest room - more than I'd be willing to pay for a wilderness trip). Well, we are locals and won't come back to the Tenaya, or recommend it. Definitely not the unfriendly front desk staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!