“Great facilities” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Bendigo, Australia
“Great facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Tenaya Lodge has great facilities and attention to detail. The kids check in is a first for us but clever.

We stayed in one of the cottages. They are a little noisy and would be great for an extended family or group but didn't really work well for three different families with different schedules. we found the beds hard and pillows lumpy.

Would certainly return and stay here as our first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

2,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Tenaya Lodge for 2 nights over Veteran’s Day Weekend. We were both going in with low expectations given that we were using a Travelzoo discount (I am always weary of hotels that need to offer discounts for people to visit). That being said, nearly everything at Tenaya Lodge exceeded our expectations. Overall, I would say this a great place to stay if you’re visiting Yosemite. It is located about 10 minutes outside the Southern entrance to the Park, and about an hour from both Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point. A great base for exploring the southern part of the park. If you’re looking for something more historic or authentic, you would probably be better off at the Wawona Hotel or the Ahwahnee – but if you want something easy, clean, reasonably priced and seemingly great for families – I would recommend Tenaya!

Rooms:
We stayed in an upper level room in the "Cottages", which I would definitely recommend (versus the main hotel). The Cottages are about a 30 second drive from the main hotel and appear to have been recently updated. They are very spacious, clean and have a fireplace. I think there is also an indoor pool and hot tub in the Cottages complex, but it appeared to have been closed for the winter.

Food:
The restaurants were all reasonably good. The ambiance at Embers, the most formal restaurant, leaves a lot to be desired. It has an awkward layout and the lighting is too bright, which makes it feel stale and cold. That being said, the service was great and the foot was excellent – albeit very pricey. Jackelopes is the more casual lodge-type restaurant which was a little more lively and cozy, with flat screen TV’s for football watching, a good bar, and an outdoor fire pit. If they could somehow combine the food at Embers with the setting at Jackelopes, I think they’d be on to something….

Activities:
Given the time of year, we mostly hiked and drove around the park. We hiked the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, only about a 20 minute drive from Tenaya. Do not miss this hike! There are something like 300 Giant Sequoias in this grove, which make the trees in Muir Woods look tiny.

We also drove to Glacier Point (1 hour, amazing view of Half Dome) and Yosemite Valley (1 hour, 15 minutes) where we did the hike to Mirror Lake (beautiful, although no water this time of year).

We both got massages at the Ascent Spa, which was much nicer than I expected. It appears to be recently built or recently updated – and very clean.

We were disappointed that there was no outdoor hot tub open at this time of the year.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in the Cottages are spacious, private and cozy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mundelein, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one evening. I was in town for a conference that was being held at this resort. It was a very expensive room, so normally we would not have been able to stay there, but work was helping to pay for part of the trip. It was a very nice resort overall, the rooms and grounds were very nice. The workout room was down in the basement level where the spa is located- the WR was very nice with good equipment. I didn't go to the spa, but it did look nice from the outside. We ate at the Sierra restaurant. It was OK, I wish I could rave about it but the food was just OK for what we paid. If I was back in this area I would consider staying at the Tenaya Lodge again. As I mentioned, it was a little cost prohibitive for us but I am sure many ppl enjoy to splurge on lodging. It really was a very nice lodge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Waterbury, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but felt compelled to this time. After the recent Government Shutdown we were excited to actually be able to experience Yosemite and stay at the Tenaya Lodge. However, the overall knowledge and front desk service of this Lodge is horrible. Not only did they provide wrong information regarding guests having to purchase or rent tire chains.. that's right... tire chains.. what? So, we were originally told we need to buy or rent tire chains. Turns out this was not even true... what a strange topic to have to try and think about on our vacation. Then when I called to book the stay I was never sent a confirmation email... not too bad.. I just called back the next day and was sent an email. However, it wasn't until arrival that I was completely blown away by the horrible front desk service. I have never experienced such rude staff. The young woman (that wears a flower headband) and was horrific in dealing with should be fired. I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but seriously after working in HR this was beyond acceptable. She was snotty, rude and had no tact. I was hoping to treat my mother in-law to a nice spa day... this should have been included with our 3 night cottage rate (well over $300 a night)... this was being advertised online and when I made the reservation over the phone this should have been added. I could rant and rave about this but the end result was that the front desk was terrible... and the only good thing at the Tenaya Lodge was the friendly staff in the Sierra restaurant. Thank you Jordan and Megan (with the young 1 year old son) you were very friendly and we thank you for such a nice conversation! And the food was terrific at the lodge... this is what saved the stay... so, hopefully the Tenaya Lodge is paying their staff in the kitchen and waitstaff well... that's my experience... Hopefully, Tenaya Lodge will consider hiring folks with better experience at the front desk!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TenayaLodge, Public Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thanks for your feedback, Ashley. As a Four Diamond-rated resort, Tenaya Lodge prides itself on an exceptional guest experience, and we are disappointed to hear you felt you did not receive exemplary service. We appreciate your comments and your thoughts have been passed along.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights during a ten day road trip around California.
This hotel despite negative reviews by others was very good.
Large room with a very comfortable bed, very friendly helpful staff , free parking and within easy reach of Yosemite Park. We had a lovely stay here

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 2 nights in this beautiful hotel. It is set in a stunning location which is about 2 miles from park entrance but over an hours drive to the valley floor. We had a delux double room which was spacious and very comfortable. It had a fridge and safe. Limited free Internet access. Lovely indoor pool which I made use of. Breakfast buffet was excellent and good value. Ate in bar which was poor but sierras restaurant was lovely. We had a snow dump of 8 inches which was beautiful but meant Glacier point and Tioga road were both closed.

• Stayed October 2013
Minden, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had a lovely experience at Tenaya Lodge. Having booked a cottage room, we settled in and the room was nice and very functional. Later that evening a leak started from the ceiling, because of things done by the people upstairs. After a call to the front desk, within ten minutes a gentleman by the name of Zack appeared. He decided that we should move to another room, and with a minimum of prodding, arranged an upgrade to a cottage suite. Well done. The stay was even more enhanced by a terrific snowfall, so we spend two days in a winter wonderland. Thanks for the swift service. The restaurant had great food at reasonable prices, and a fine ambiance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback, Eagleone1776. We’re so glad you had a comfortable stay at our cottages and appreciate your kind words for Zack. Pleased you were able to experience a winter wonderland! : )

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!