“Wonderful stay with kids” 5 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Fish Camp
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Wonderful stay with kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Wonderful stay at Tenaya. Stayed in winter before kids and had another wonderful trip with kids. Used the kids camp and kids adventure club. Kids were able to do fishing and archery and other activities in the kids camp room. They loved it and we were able to have a nice hike and dinner alone. Hiking to waterfall in national forest off the parking lot. Ask concierge for map. One odd thing is there is one check in for 3 restaurants. Looks like many people waiting but spread across all 3 restuarants we actually never waited more then a few minutes. Pool at main hotel was great with bar open during day. Food was great. Try the dessert coffee in Embers.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TenayaLodge_Yosemite, Public Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to drop us a line on your stay, ilovecincy! We are glad that you have enjoyed your multi-season visits to the lodge, as we find that each season brings new and exciting ways to enjoy the park and lodge! The kids camp is a favorite with families, and we are so happy to hear that a wonderful time was had by both parents and children alike. Thanks again for stopping by to share your thoughts, we hope to be of service again on your next trip to Yosemite!

2,160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is probably about the best you can do in the Yosemite area. Anywhere else it would be a very average and overpriced hotel. Here in Yosemite, it is the nicest we saw. The room was comfortable but very average. The first morning we were awakened at 6 am by the sound of thundering feet running up and down the halls on the floor above us. The soundproofing is terrible and it actually seems to be louder than it should with the echo and reverberation. Very unsettling. Then after being out all day seeing the wonderous sights, we returned to find our room had not been visited by housekeeping. We were out from 11 to 5, so I can't understand how they didn't get to us. For these prices, we should have had housekeeping and fresh towels.
The next issue was a lack of dining options that are either good or reasonable. The hotels restaurants were probably the best around, but way overpriced for the average food we got.
Finally, while Yosemite is breathtaking, be aware that when staying here you will have an hour drive to see the valley or glacier point overlooking the valley. No big deal, just makes for a long day. So, to sum up, decent accommodations, but overpriced and service is lacking, with lots of kids and noise!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TenayaLodge_Yosemite, Public Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hi Woundedbear, Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us. We apologize that some aspects of your stay didn’t meet your expectations. Many guests have found that the trip to the valley floor is an excellent way to view the breathtaking Yosemite scenery. We’re glad you enjoyed your time and the sights in Yosemite.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here during a recent visit to Yosemite this past April. Overall I would call it a pleasant stay. I would categorize the hotel more as a 3 1/2 or 3+ star hotel versus a full fledged 4 star.

What I Liked

First of all I really appreciated the location of the resort, just outside the South Entrance to Yosemite. Although it cannot compete with the in park resorts in terms of location (especially those in Yosemite Valley), overall I think it's fairly well located enough for easy access to some good sites, including Mariposa Grove and the drive to Glacier Point. I have seen other reviews commenting on the remote location, but other than staying at official park resorts or camping, I don't think one can stay at a hotel any closer.

The room overall was well appointed and comfortable. The decor was akin to that of a major chain like Hilton or Wyndham with some location specific touches. The room was clean and well maintained, and bedding was of a sufficiently decent quality. I stayed in a deluxe room, which is larger than the average sized room and had a good sized sitting area with a sliding glass door providing access to the outside (it was located on the first floor).

It looks like they had recently opened a spa, as is common for many resorts as a way to boost their revenue. I did take advantage of one treatment and I found the spa to be large, plush, and well equipped. Overall I would recommend taking advantage of the spa facilities if you do get the opportunity, especially after a long day hike.

What I found best about the resort is that it is so pet-friendly. Several guests had brought their pets in tow, and Tenaya staff and facilities provide extensively for their needs. The best thing for dog owners were the first floor rooms with immediate access to the lawn outside the door, so no need for late night runs through the hotel hallways if a dog has to heed the call of nature. I have two large dogs myself, and I would happily return to the hotel just so I could take the with me on my next trip to Yosemite.

What Could Use Improvement

Be aware that this is a very large hotel that is very remotely located, and dining options are rather limited nearby. As such the hotel dining facilities have a tendency to become overwhelmed during busy meal times and during the holiday high season. This resulted in some long waits and a bit of chaos, especially during breakfast times. Depending on the wait staff to whom you are assigned, this could extend the wait for cooked items even further. The rule really is to try to eat early or late if dining at the hotel facilities.

I think a previous review mentioned something about the noise. Soundproofing is a big pet peeve of mine, and many of my reviews do have a tendency to hit on this fact. Tenaya rooms do have relatively thin walls, and when you are next door to large families or active guests, you can hear almost everything. I complained on a couple of occasions to hotel staff about the noisiness of neighbors, and the staff did what they could to ensure a more quiet environment, but the basic tenet is be prepared to cope with a bit of noise. Ear plugs would be a wise thing to bring along around bed time.

Last piece is the deluxe room concept. Although I booked the deluxe room, because it was identified as a larger room, I later learned that this is referred to as a family room on site. I was traveling with my sister, and we really wanted a spacious and quiet room. Unfortunately, being in the bank of rooms designated for families, that was not the case. In the future if I had known these rooms are designated for family usage I would have booked a room in Tenaya's cottages complex.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear JTears, Thank you for taking the time to write a full review of your trip to Tenaya. We too love our location as a retreat from the crush of summer crowds in the valley floor! Glad you tried and enjoyed our Ascent Spa. We try our best to ensure an all-around memorable experience, and we apologize that you were not completely satisfied in some respects. We hope to see you with your dogs next time!
Purley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our 3 week tour of the western US. We were in the East Wing on the second floor facing the pool. There are 4 floors to this Wing. Unfortunately the view from our room, which appeared to be the only room in this Wing that had a partial obstruction, which was of the roof of the rear main entrance door and also a large tree.

The décor in the room was slightly tired and because it is a timber framed building/floor we did experience huge problems with people and children in the room above us. One night, a child in the room above obviously could not sleep and we had presumably the parent walking to and fro in the room between 1am and 3am and then they were up again at 6am! They had a disturbed night’s sleep and so did we! We were also near the elevator and did hear the pinging of the elevator bell quite frequently.

The hotel is about a 1 hour drive to the Valley and as the speed limit is 45mph with no overtaking it can be a slow journey especially if you are stuck behind someone driving slowly! Unfortunately when we were in Yosemite, there was a major forest fire about 35 miles away and the smoke and haze did spoil some of the scenery especially looking from Glacier Point. The hotel being located about 2 miles outside the South Park entrance is certainly quieter than those in the valley village, where we stayed in a Lodge in 1999. We could not park in the valley village this time because it was packed!

We did eat two evening meals in the Sierra restaurant which we found, including a bottle of wine to be slightly on the expensive side. Susan Joy was our server on both occasions and we found her to be very efficient and friendly. However the food was very good. We found the breakfast buffets in the same restaurant also to be very good. We did order the packed lunch on one day ($13.95 each) and these were great. Book it with your evening meal to get a 10% discount.

All the staff generally were friendly. There is free Wi-Fi in the room but this did drop out occasionally and was slightly slow especially early evening. The parking lots did seem to get full quickly and you may have to park a distance away from you room. The outside pool was a reasonable size although it was a bit noisy with children. Sun loungers were a bit limited.

However, apart from noise from the room above, there was nothing too bad and we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room if you are a light sleeper, although the number of rooms is limited.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was there for a conference and we were a very large group, but the staff were very friendly and accommodated our almost every needs. The rooms are spacious and very nice, with great air conditioning/ heating systems. The outdoor pool seemed very nice although I never got to use it, and there were many families with kids. The only complaint I would have is that the hotel keys suddenly stop working quite frequently, so I had to go down to the lobby twice in three days to change my hotel key, as did a few of my colleagues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at Tenaya in the last week of March, 2013. It's taken me a while to generate my thoughts for this review as my experience was rather mixed. We traveled with another couple and spent our days in Yosemite for the most part.

Location
Outside of Yosemite, one cannot get much closer than Tenaya. It seems like a long way to travel, but as availability goes, this location is really a great one. Prepare to enjoy views and vistas and winding roads. :)

Rooms/Noise
The rooms were tidy enough but have some signs of heavy use/wear that a bit of paint touch-up and a little extra scrubbing would help address. Walls are thin, and shared-doors between rooms are particular thin spots and allow one to sing along with the not-very-loud radio in an adjoining room if desired. On our last evening there, the AC unit experienced an electrical problem in the room of the couple that was traveling with us, and the burned smell from it caused them to shut it off and be a bit too warm the rest of the night, and left a lingering scent on their belongings that made them eager for departure. Our friends did notify management but did not request a room change as it was late and we were leaving early the following morning.

Dining
There are three restaurants on the property, and we ventured to all three during our stay. The fine dining establishment is a bit behind in style and technique, with menu options and food prep more classic 80s - 90s than modern haute cuisine. Service was friendly. The bar was fine, though one of our party had a glass of Macallan 18 on two separate evenings. One evening it was amazing, the second evening it didn't taste like the right stuff. We made inquiries and were assured it was the right pour...but we'd just had the stuff the evening before, and our party all agreed that something was off in the second pour. We enjoyed the family restaurant buffet breakfast possibly most (though there are no children in our party). as the service was lovely.

Insulted at the Spa
We also went to the spa while we were there. Our spa/massage appointment was near the end of our stay, and I wasn't aware (via publicity materials or the room book or through the concierge) that we could partake of the spa area as guests even without massages booked. I would have taken advantage of this more if I'd had any idea. For the massage session, we booked as two couples having couples massages. Our party was first. Now I know many areas are not as socially progressive as others, so having a couple that is two women not be seated in the 'couples waiting area' where there is a loveseat should not have surprised me. But maybe it hurt my feelings a little bit not to be offered the option of using that seating area. Instead, we were shown on our spa tour to the 'women's waiting area' where there are individual chairs. There is fruited water and nuts to snack on while waiting and the area was clean and inviting.

Our massages were performed by a male and a female, and the female masseuse worked on my back. I was quite surprised and very taken aback when she commented 'you have a short little neck.' There hadn't been conversation happening, and I think she was surprised that she'd spoken aloud, but I already felt unwelcome and, naturally during spa services, vulnerable, and that sense of discomfort is the strongest lingering memory I have of Tenaya lodge.

Other activities at the lodge
We were there in late March, and many activities were not yet up and running as the season was early. We stretched a little and found some silly but fun things to join in. We did join an archery session, which was fun. Our session leader was supportive and positive. We also made candy sushi, which was hilarious and entertaining. Spa support staff was strong. The servers at the grab-and-go coffee bar were especially awesome. That place was very busy in the morning and they were always warm, friendly, and helpful. And the espresso was excellent, so that was a great thing to finish our experience.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with another couple, request ahead if you'd like rooms near each other; the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Parabasis, Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your visit and share your thoughts with us. We take pride in maintaining a retreat experience in Yosemite. We are sorry to hear that your visit to the spa did not meet your expectations, and we have drawn your comments to our spa manager’s attention. We appreciate the accolades on our staff, as we continually strive to maintain a dedicated and inviting team. Thanks again for your feedback.
Wantage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at The Tenaya for 2 nights and enjoyed it a lot. The main bar area was great and the staff very Friendly. We stayed in the main building and had no complaints about the room, it was clean, tidy and all that you need for a short stay. We took booked and went to the Summer BBQ which I would advise is a MUST. It was such fun (the walk back to the lodge after is a bit Hard as it is all uphill).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!