I stayed here during a recent visit to Yosemite this past April. Overall I would call it a pleasant stay. I would categorize the hotel more as a 3 1/2 or 3+ star hotel versus a full fledged 4 star.
What I Liked
First of all I really appreciated the location of the resort, just outside the South Entrance to Yosemite. Although it cannot compete with the in park resorts in terms of location (especially those in Yosemite Valley), overall I think it's fairly well located enough for easy access to some good sites, including Mariposa Grove and the drive to Glacier Point. I have seen other reviews commenting on the remote location, but other than staying at official park resorts or camping, I don't think one can stay at a hotel any closer.
The room overall was well appointed and comfortable. The decor was akin to that of a major chain like Hilton or Wyndham with some location specific touches. The room was clean and well maintained, and bedding was of a sufficiently decent quality. I stayed in a deluxe room, which is larger than the average sized room and had a good sized sitting area with a sliding glass door providing access to the outside (it was located on the first floor).
It looks like they had recently opened a spa, as is common for many resorts as a way to boost their revenue. I did take advantage of one treatment and I found the spa to be large, plush, and well equipped. Overall I would recommend taking advantage of the spa facilities if you do get the opportunity, especially after a long day hike.
What I found best about the resort is that it is so pet-friendly. Several guests had brought their pets in tow, and Tenaya staff and facilities provide extensively for their needs. The best thing for dog owners were the first floor rooms with immediate access to the lawn outside the door, so no need for late night runs through the hotel hallways if a dog has to heed the call of nature. I have two large dogs myself, and I would happily return to the hotel just so I could take the with me on my next trip to Yosemite.
What Could Use Improvement
Be aware that this is a very large hotel that is very remotely located, and dining options are rather limited nearby. As such the hotel dining facilities have a tendency to become overwhelmed during busy meal times and during the holiday high season. This resulted in some long waits and a bit of chaos, especially during breakfast times. Depending on the wait staff to whom you are assigned, this could extend the wait for cooked items even further. The rule really is to try to eat early or late if dining at the hotel facilities.
I think a previous review mentioned something about the noise. Soundproofing is a big pet peeve of mine, and many of my reviews do have a tendency to hit on this fact. Tenaya rooms do have relatively thin walls, and when you are next door to large families or active guests, you can hear almost everything. I complained on a couple of occasions to hotel staff about the noisiness of neighbors, and the staff did what they could to ensure a more quiet environment, but the basic tenet is be prepared to cope with a bit of noise. Ear plugs would be a wise thing to bring along around bed time.
Last piece is the deluxe room concept. Although I booked the deluxe room, because it was identified as a larger room, I later learned that this is referred to as a family room on site. I was traveling with my sister, and we really wanted a spacious and quiet room. Unfortunately, being in the bank of rooms designated for families, that was not the case. In the future if I had known these rooms are designated for family usage I would have booked a room in Tenaya's cottages complex.
- Also Known As:
- Tenaya Lodge At Yosemite Hotel Fish Camp
- Tenaya Lodge At Yosemite Hotel
- Tenaya Lodge
- Tenaya Hotel Fish Camp
- Tenaya Hotel At Yosemite
- Tenaya Lodge Yosemite
- Yosemite Tenaya Lodge
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 48 acres in the southern High Sierra and just 2 miles from Yosemite, the Four-Diamond Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite offers easy access to all of Yosemite’s most alluring attractions and all the amenities expected from a luxury resort property. Tenaya boasts comfortable and spacious accommodations, Ascent – a luxurious 10,000 sq.foot spa, steam room, sauna, fitness room, three pools, five dining options, all-season recreation and a full-service concierge to help you plan your getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, EasyToBook, Priceline, getaroom.com, Venere, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.