“Perfect Winter Getaway in the Off Season!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fish Camp
GreenLeadersGold level
Castro Valley, California
“Perfect Winter Getaway in the Off Season!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just got back from a 2 night stay from Feb 8 -10 th and loved our time there. We lucked out because it had recently snowed and the scenery at the lodge and Yosemite was beautiful. We did the sleigh ride this morning and recommend it. There was a kiddie sledding area on premises and a short walk away had another great sledding area.

This lodge is a family-friendly haven. You won't find a better place for kids anywhere in the Yosemite area. There are 2 pools (one outdoor seasonal and one indoor, which was very warmly heated), an arcade, a kids club, an ice skating rink, and a variety of family-friendly activities scheduled. For adults, photography classes/tours are an option and there is an elegant spa where my husband received a great foot massage.

We stayed in the Spa Suite and defintely recommend this upgrade as the rooms are in a quieter location, have a balcony, are bigger and there is a jacuzzi tub for after long days of hiking, etc. Our room was clean and seemed to have new carpet. After reading some prior reviews I was worried that there would not be enough hot water to shower or fill a bath, however we never had a problem. Perhaps because it was low season?

I don't know how I would rate this facility if it was during a busier time. We never had a problem with getting seated or served quickly at the restaurants. It wasn't very loud, although it is true the walls don't seem too thick and some parents let their kids run amok with no restraints. I did sleep with ear plugs because the people next to us had a noisy kid. I can imagine it being far more noisier during Holidays or the Summer.

This didn't bother me, but the Tenaya seems to be a pet-friendly hotel, so please let reception know if you have any allergies before you book a certain room.

Overall, we would definitely return! For the Winter months, it's a great location to Badger Pass.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Suite if possible! Top floor may minimize noise. ABSOLUTELY refuse a room by the rece...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TenayaLodge_Yosemite, Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thrilled you were able to experience the wonderland of Tenaya Lodge in winter. The sleigh ride is definitely one of our favorite winter activities! Thank you in particular for noting your positive experience in one of our nine spa suites as well as with the many activities we offer for kids and adults. We certainly understand parents needing a little time away from the kiddos now and then! We very much appreciate your thoughtful comments and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Tenaya Lodge is the perfect location for a trip to Yosemite National Park. It was a short drive to the park entrance. The staff was very friendly and the concierge provided great recommendations and maps. It was nice having on site restaurants. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed here twice in 2 different months last fall/winter. Total nights : 7. Our wedding reception was planned for December and we came up in October for a tasting, explore the property and see what our guests would be experiencing. I am basically going to lump everything together in one review except where noted. During both stays there were convention meeting groups scheduled so it's not like the property was empty or anything. One weekend the property was booked full with a classic car convention, the other with the western regional Sierra Nevada beverage distributors. Overall I thought everything ran pretty smooth for being booked as such.

Service ★★★★★
Front desk service was impeccable. Great communication, informed and efficient. A manager corrected a room rate for us with little affair. It printed to more than were quoted, Appreciated that. Our guests' checkins and gift bag distribution was also flawless.

Bellman/Bell-ladies always performed great, especially when we needed 4 carts and 2 of the large flatbed carts to haul in all the wedding decorations and luggage. A very nice tip was in order for the delivery to our rooms. They are also pretty speedy with affixing the tire chains for us and all the guests on wedding day. I guess this is a provided service but we made sure they were taken care of :) The snow was cleared from the time it began falling at 8am until the lots on the property were cleared - and the snow stopped. It must have snowed 8-10" on our special day. When a car happened to leave they were on the spot clearing in-between the cars also. I was impressed.

The only glitch was when we wanted to have some pizza and asked a bellman where the pizzaria was. After we walked over there we saw the sign: closed for the season. Guess he didn't get that memo...No biggie.

We had several communications with our wedding coordinator, Charlene Kelly over 8-10 months. She always returned emails and calls. We made a gazillion changes and she the reception room turned out FANTASTIC. She made sure every last detail was carried out and even stopped by that evening to say hi and ask if there was anything we needed. The food, wait staff service, bar service and everyone else involved did a fantastic job. We were sooo pleased. Not to mention that we received a great deal for the rooms, being this is a "low season" event. The 3 rooms included as many dinner tables as we needed, belly-ups, both inside and outside, patio heaters for the smokers and much much more. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the Christmas tree in the room also! What a nice touch. Five stars for Charlene and her event planning staff!!!

As far as the rest of the hotel service we had no complaints. Being on the VIP list (surprise!!) also entitled us to Bed-turn down service with truffels. How nice :-) not once, not twice, but every night!

Room Value ★★★
I can't say poor or excellent. I have to say the overall value was fair for us. Seeing this is a major National Park resort by DNC I expect the rates to be on the higher end - especially in high season. Everyone will have a different opinion on price so I am sticking with the rating of average.

Sleep Quality ★★★★
We always slept good, beds are comfortable with extra blankets and pillows available in the rooms. Noise at a minimum. You are able to hear peeps upstairs if they are walking heavily.
Our junior suit was next to the elevator and never could hear it.

Cleanliness ★★★★★
No issues here. Was impressed with the housekeeping service. They got creative with the little folded things they leave around the room. One time they cleaned the bar area and washed & dried all the wine glasses from welcome party the night before. Darn!

Location ★★★
I could drive to the valley in about 30-40 minutes but I they also call me Mario Andretti. Hey it is 28 miles of curvy mountain road with no guard rails in many areas. During chain requirements, well that is another story. It is close enough for me to make the R/T drive, every day if I need to - and have.

Not sure why reviewers rate the location poorly. Yeah, it is not in the valley. I get that. It is also fairly close to town in case you need to make the trip.

Rooms ★★★½

We had to change the reservation when we realized how far the cottages were after the first stay in October. We didn't want our guests to have to walk the distance in December cold and snow. It is not far - maybe 4-6 minutes. We felt it was better to keep everyone close in the main building.

A week before the wedding we were advised that the West wing we had the spa suite and guest rooms in was going to be closed for a water pipe repair for the week. Charlene our wedding coordinator had everything moved to the other, East wing. We ended up with a Jr Suite and an pass-through door to a deluxe room. On our special day, having the extra space worked out for the Bride/Groom preparations, the photographers and the bridal party, all milling about in the confusion. I think it was something like 650 sq feet, all combined. We were really appreciative for this after freaking out when we were notified of the change... Getting to the east wing was a little convoluted -as noted in previous reviews- from the main lobby, but after a couple of trips it was a piece a'cake. There is some spectacular photography on the way so walking distance is really negligible.

All of our guests' rooms (deluxe rooms) were adequate and I heard no complaints. Far as I noticed the rooms have refrigerators, all condiments, dryers, ironing, bathrobes, easy to use safes and so on. But, NO Microwaves.
I thought that strange, but as a DNC property they want you to eat in their restaurants, etc, etc. and not bring in your own food.
But how would you warm baby formula, hot water for tea and possibly dinner leftovers? Kind of tacky for the corporate policy. They put tea bags in the coffee/creamer basket? Minus ½★ for no micro. Be nice to warm up the coffee a little also.

One complaint I do have is that Hot water does take a long time. I noted this in both wings of the property. I also took notice that there was no special time that this occurred. Once, in the morning at like about 4AM I had hot water in seconds. Seemed unthinkable that no one else in the area would have been awake at that hour to move the hot water close to our room. On another occasion I timed it to over 3 minutes waiting to brush my teeth in the A.M. Not sure what gives here, but hence the pipe repair I mentioned earlier. The hot water delivery time is all over the board - I knocked a star for this.

SPA ★★★★
We spa'ed on a couple occasions. Some of our guests lived down there nightly. Convenient, functioned well, seemed clean with plenty of towels handy. Great place to have an adult beverage and relax the tensions away after a long day.

Breakfast ★★★
We had breakfast here once. Was adequate. Price was commensurate with a DNC property.
Food was fine. Personally we do like eating breakfast in town because we can get Starbucks there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is located just 15 minutes away from Yosemite. The rooms are very spacious and confortable. We went in the winter, so there was lot we were unable to do, but we look forward to come back.

The only issue we had was that the shower didn't have constant hot water.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TenayaLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hi, and thanks for posting your comments. Just wanted to add a quick update, Tenaya Lodge is even closer to Yosemite than you think -- we're just five minutes from the Park's South Gate. Hope we can welcome you back again real soon, and we'll show you the many things you can do in the winter (ski, sled, snowshoe, skate, snowmobile, sip, savor, spa)!
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked this outstanding property thru Expedia at a discounted rate. The restaurants, atmosphere and accommodations were outstanding. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby reading the paper and listening to relaxing music. The brunch was outstanding, extremely varied and beautifully presented. Give this place a look.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were surprised to get a last minute booking during the New Year holiday week. It was very crowded with young families - it didn't have the atmosphere that is portrayed on the website.
The room we had was a deluxe extended room, which was roomy for a family of four, plus our gear and luggage. In this setup, there is a balcony that you can walk out to and also serves as storage area for your snow gear. There is a very small mini refrigerator in the room. The wing that our room was in was very quiet.
There were plenty of activities onsite to keep teenagers happy - snowshoeing, cross country ski rentals and you can hike on the trail to find challenging sled runs. Our night time snow shoe hike was excellent and our guide extremely knowledgeable. There's also a small ice skating rink onsite and an indoor pool. Outdoor pool was closed for the season.
The restaurants were sufficient and it was enjoyable seeing our favorite waitress at different meals. The three restaurants are adjacent to each other and share some menu items. There is also a small mini-mart onsite to get snacks.
Ascent Spa is lovely and worth a visit. My only complaint is that the sauna/steam room is open to the guests without spa appointments, even though these amenities are available at the indoor pool. My relaxation time was spoiled by two screaming children that were brought in by their parent.Thankfully, a spa attendant noticed that a young child was in the sauna for an extended time.
It is about a 40 minute drive to Yosemite, making this a very convenient place if you aren't able to stay within the park. I highly recommend the tour offered by the Lodge if you are a first time visitor. You get a great overview and can make notes of spots to revisit on your own.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just stayed at Tenaya for a Friday and Sunday and had a so-so experience. The rooms are good sized and the beds comfy but we had only lukewarm water in the bathrooms on both stays (so different rooms). We also had friends in other rooms and they didn't have hot water either. After cross country skiing all day it would have been nice to come back to some hot water in the shower. The bathroom sink couldn't even muster up much heat. I called the front desk which expressed apologies but then accidentally (?) disconnected me. When I went to call back they were too busy to answer and then we had to leave so I never got any real feedback from them.

Also, the hotel seemed rather full and the staff seemed poorly equipped to handle the number of people. One night we ate at the Jackalope and there was only one waiter in the whole room but there were 5 hostesses milling around the desk. It took at least an hour for the waiter to even take our order! In the bar, there is only seating at the bar, not at the tables, unless you are seated to order a meal. Forget trying to order appetizers or drinks if you have anyone under 21 with you. I was told to call room service and they would serve me in the lobby.
Overall, staff seemed disorganized and unable to handle the number of guests. As another reviewer noted, the walls are paper thin as well.
The Tenaya has a great location near the entrance of Yosemite and because they are a little isolated, I'm guessing that most of their guests just stay at the resort as opposed to going elsewhere to eat. It would be nice if they had their food service and restaurant flow more organized and some hot water! Brrrrrr!

Room Tip: We stayed in the east wing so maybe there is a problem in that area with having hot water.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!