“Good location but pretty worn out for the price” 3 of 5 stars

2-Nights, Free Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fish Camp
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good location but pretty worn out for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I had high expectations based on the website and the price ($315/night for 2 queen room with a view of a parking lot), but this hotel reminded me of an older Holiday Inn. This hotel bills itself as a luxury resort, but I would much rather stay in a new Holiday Inn Express.

Pros: Location - an hour outside Yosemite Valley, but the drive was nice and you are (relatively) close to Glacier Peak and the Mariposa Grove. Free wifi in the business center, although it didn't work in the rooms. Fitness center was decent, and the front desk clerk was kind enough to phone someone to let me in early (it didn't open until 6 am). Rooms were spacious and this was the only hotel we stayed at that had washing machines (not normally something I look for, but this was a 9-day trip and we didn't want to check luggage).

Cons: Hallways, indoor pool, laundry, and our bathroom were very old and worn out. Every monring, inexplicably, we lost our cold water (I understand losing hot water but cold?!) between 6 and 7. It was cold when I woke up, but by the time we were brushing teeth at 6:30 to leave, it was burning hot. I told the front desk clerk the first day, she asked if I wanted them to fix it (um, yes??), but it never got fixed. I suspect when maintenance came to my room later, the cold had come back on, and they just thought I was crazy (but it happend three mornings!). Restaurants were mediocre, and service was VERY slow. outdoor hot tub was lukewarm (maybe it got my cold water). Concierge was overwhelmed - twice we waited around for 15 minutes or so to meet with her but gave up (she did VERY quickly reply to an email I had sent before we left home, so that was quite helpful).

Tips- we stopped at a grocery in Oakhurst (Raley's or something like that - great food but no wine selection) to get breakfast foods to eat in our room, and we had an amazing Sunday brunch at the Awahnee hotel in Yosemite valley - highly recommended and well worth the price.

4 Thank Heather H

Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

For two years in a row this hotel advertised specials and as soon as I called (the day I got the ad) the price was DOUBLED from the advertised rates. When I called to find out about the discrepency they said, "oh those are just starting from rates." However, the person could not find even one date with a rate even close to the advertised rate. I love this hotel and it has a lot of business, so don't know why they would have to resort to false advertising to get business. Very disappointing and makes me want to never go back, on principle!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank EMW32414
Phoenixville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Tired furnishings, musty smelling room, poor restaurant service. For the $450+ spent for one night in a king room, I expected much more. I cannot stress enough how overpriced this room was; Holiday Inns have nicer rooms! It has a very unappealing lobby that could be quite nice, but the overall feeling is very dated; kind of reminds me of a Cracker Barrel gift shop. I do not recommend this overpriced resort, shame on you Tenaya.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank Staci H
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed here only for one night on a quick trip to Yosemite. Its a beautiful hotel, excellent service, but for the high price, there should have been free Wi Fi access, and a complimentary breakfast as we found with most other quality motels we stayed in.
The beds were very uncomfortable and the pillows were shocking!! We woke up with back and neck aches and had the worst night sleep ever!
Rooms are very cramped, or at least ours was. Its such a shame as it is a magnificent place, the grounds and buildings are top notch!!

2 Thank karen7392
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

When we decided to visit Yosemite we wanted to be near the park but not necessarily camping in the park so we booked the Tenaya Lodge to be close to the park but have all the comforts of a nice vacation.

Upon our arrival we were astounded by the friendliness of the staff. We were greeted by the valet who showed us where to park so we could check in and then after we checked in showed us where we could park to be near our room. When we entered our room we noticed that we needed a roll away bed and one was delivered within 5 minutes. The room was nice and roomy and quite comfortable. The window opens so you can get fresh air and we had the pool view which was quite pretty to look at. The bathroom was small but considering the building was not brand new it was doable.

We used the concierge on the property who was very friendly and helpful and gave us some great tips for our visit into Yosemite. They also informed our family of the Ranger Talk that was happening that evening (free and wonderful!), extra activities we could sign up for such as archery and rock climbing.

Though there are two pools on the property our family only used the outdoor pool. It was nice and staffed with a bar and a waitress who could take food orders. There seems to be a bit of a bee problem at the pool but considering you are in the forest you just deal with them. If you use the pool be sure to wear flip flops since some bee's just don't make it and drown in the puddles around the pool and it would stink to get stung.

The food is delicious and the service is impeccable! The wait staff was very attentive and asked what our plans were or how are day was and offered tips and advice to make things nicer for our trip. We ate most of our meals here since the food was so good. Very much worth the price and we enjoyed eating outside as well.

The reason I gave this review 4 circles rather then 5 circles is the housekeeping. I'm a little perplexed that the two nights we stayed we return to our clean room with the comforter of one of the queen beds on a chair. The first day I thought it was odd and thought maybe the maid forgot but the second day it happened again (same bed but the comforter was on a different chair). Not sure why both beds couldn't be made completely and though it is minor we were paying quite a bit for this room so I would expect the job to be done completely. Also, they are very stingy on the shampoo and conditioners. After one shower you will use it up and we had to chase down a cart to get more since we were not restocked after one day.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My sisters and I did a girls weekend at Tenaya Lodge. We got a cottage that was a short walk to the main lodge. The peace and quiet of the cottage area was great. The snow is always plowed and your car does not get stuck anywhere. The room was nice with great views and a gas fireplace that kept our room very toasty. The bar in the lodge was great and the service was outstanding. The drive up was beautiful, just make sure you take chains or a 4 wheel drive or they won't let you go up. The price was reasonable and came with two breakfast buffet vouchers. The Spa downstairs was amazing and has good prices and is so so so beautiful. Just make sure you make a reservation before you go up if you want to get in on Sat. But we were able to be appointments Sunday morning no problem. I would like to go back during the spring to experience the place without snow, but the snow was wonderful.

Room Tip: Get a cottage, same price but more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank thebabaganoush
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was a bit wary about this having seen mixed reviews on TA. But it was great! As we were staying at the weekend we booked a cottage suite to avoid the noise in the main hotel, and it was lovely. Very quiet, first floor with a balcony up amongst the trees, smelling beautifully of pinewoods. We had two good family meals at Jackalopes, with friendly and efficient service, and in fact every member of staff we met was charming. Having just come from Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia (see review) this was a welcome relief.

Room Tip: Go for a guest suite, and ask for a first floor one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fish Camp
Cedar Lodge
#2 of 2 in El Portal
3.0 of 5 stars 1,562 reviews
White Chief Mountain Lodge

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!