“A great place to which I will return” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Inn the Mood for Love
Ranked #3 of 6 Ferndale B&B and Inns
Monterey County, CA
“A great place to which I will return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Spacious room, considering the inn was built in 1891. It's a charming place. Wireless was not the fastest, but it did exist at no charge. There was even a TV. Very comfortable bed. Restaurant and bar downstairs had lots of options and I was able to find good choices in each. Make your reservations early, as there are only 12 rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Ferndale is a gem and the Victorian Inn makes it twice as nice. This grand lady has been beautifully restored in a town of many Victorian buildings. You get the best breakfast you will ever find anywhere as part of the deal in a beautiful dining room filled with natural light . The countryside is gorgeous to explore during the day and a fine meal in their dining room is a good way to end the day. Be sure to see the Carson Mansion in Eureka.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This was our 2nd stay at the Victoria Inn. We stayed in Ann's Suite or rather apartment...it is that big. Flat screen TV, WiFi, a large living area, with plenty of space to have a party! The attention to the decoration of the suite in the elegant window treatments and plentiful towels. We also enjoyed the lumber jack breakfast each morning...great way to start the day! We will return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

My youngest daughter and I stayed at the Victorian Inn while on an excursion to check out Humboldt University in nearby Arcata. I seldom get time off since I run my own business and I was hoping to have a relatively relaxing trip. I wasn't disappointed.
Ferndale is a precious town – meticulously kept and the people were all so very warm and friendly. The Inn itself was better than I had expected. I prefer staying at B&B’s while traveling since they tend to be cozier than modern trendy hotels (my taste). I love antiques and traditional architecture: the Inn kept my attention around every corner. It’s maintained spotlessly both inside and out.
Check in was a breeze; no fuss. The service was wonderful; no complaints. The owners were very cordial and informative since we had never been to the area before and provided us with details of the area to make our excursion effortless. Our old fashioned room was very spacious for two people and the bathroom was huge with plenty of hot running water and no maintenance problems.
The only thing that could pose a problem is for individuals with mobility issues. Most of the rooms are located upstairs and the only way up is by means of a beautiful, but very long, wide, & steep staircase. Had I been traveling with my elderly mother who has mobility issues, this would have been a definite problem. There is no elevator in the hotel, as was explained to me, due to their attempt to maintain the building in its originally built condition. I would suggest inquiring about lower level rooms if this is an issue for you or perhaps there is another alternative for getting up & down that was not made aware to me.
We ate at the restaurant several times and the food was absolutely delicious! My daughter ordered Mac ‘n Cheese at our first meal, which made me roll my eyes since I would have preferred her to be a bit more daring, especially since the restaurant is more gourmet than not , but I must confess that it was one of the best Mac ‘n Cheese dishes I have ever ate. I had the Portuguese Paella and it was outstanding. Great breakfasts’, by the way.
My eldest daughter has made me promise to take her to Ferndale and stay at the Victorian Inn this summer on our road trip to Oregon. I can’t wait!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Victorian Inn was chosen because Ferndale was a good stopping point. The Victorian Inn was spectacularly historic with great attention to detail and restoration. The whole town is filled with great Victorian buildings. I found that Victorian is a bit too dark for me but appreciated the history. We (and our neighbors) did not have warm water at all and they could not fix within our 1 night stay. Their breakfast was substantial and very good. Staff was friendly but not welcoming. We left a leather coat behind and after 6 hours gone, we called to see if it had been turned in - not they said. So we bought another and had a message when we got home that they had the coat!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CaliforniaInnkeeper, Owner at Victorian Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
I think the writer of this review was very honest and sincere in his/her observations, and we thank him/her for that. As you can see, the review was very complimentary in almost all areas. Unfortunately, they did experience a loss of hot water, but it was repaired within 15 minutes. Our staff perhaps did not communicate this to them and for that we sincerely apologize. (It was simply a thermostat reset button that had popped off) They did leave the coat as stated, but our housekeeper who found it hung it up nicely because she didn't want to wrinkle it...instead of putting it in our usual Lost and Found box. When we were made aware of this we contacted the guest immediately and made arrangements to get it to them. Hopefully, having two coats will turn out to be a blessing in the long run. And we sure hope these guests read this and come on back to give us another opportunity to serve them.
Union City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed three nights at the Victorian Inn and all of the staff from the owners Lowell & Jenny to the bartender, waitresses and housekeeping went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Everyone made us feel most welcome. The décor is elegant and each room has its own character and attention to detail. Breakfast was plentiful and included in the room rate. The restaurant had a nice selection of well prepared and presented meals. Ferndale has some beautifully kept Victorian style buildings, but it is a shame to see that the economic climate has affected many businesses that are now up for sale.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Very nice hotel and people. The town was very picturesque and sweet. We really enjoyed our stay the accommodation were nice and the large cow in front of our room was great. Very dog friendly town and hotel. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!