“Hit or miss” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Exeter
Exeter, California
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Granted, when the Wildflower is on, their food is good -- the salads, especially, are made with fresh ingredients -- the spring and winter salads are my favorites. Along with the salad, you get a slice of freshly baked bread, a packet of frozen butter, and no knife to spread it with. Their baked goods are delicious as well, and if you're there, the cookies and cakes are definitely worth the calories if you're going to treat yourself. The sandwiches, however, are mediocre -- a good serving of meat, along with a bigger piece of lettuce that comes out of the sandwich when you first bite into it -- in other words, nothing special. My gripe with the Wild Flower is that I've always gotten the distinct feeling that somehow I'm doing them a favor by coming in to their establishment and dining there. The last time I went there, it was very crowded (a wedding shower with about 20 people was being held in the back room when I was there, along with a couple of groups of tourists). My party placed our order, and over an hour later, we realized they had forgotten it, since parties that had come in later were being served. I took the clip with the order number up to the cashier and told her what we ordered. She must have not believed me, because she asked me for my receipt to prove to her that yes, I actually did place an order. By that time, I was frustrated about the long wait of over an hour for an order of 2 sandwiches and 2 salads, and I asked for a refund. the cashier conveyed to me how put out she was to have to subtract the cost of the fountain drinks from my order (we did get the drinks on time, but that's because we served ourselves). I suggested that perhaps we should get the drinks for free but was told they don't do that. So, after 90 minutes, we did get a refund, minus the amount for fountain drinks. The times I've gone when it was less crowded, I did get my food in a reasonable amount of time, but I have never felt welcomed. Mind you, I'm not a demanding customer, and I understand getting behind in orders when a crowd descends upon an establishment that overwhelms the kitchen staff. But at least acknowledge to the customer that it's a busy day, and don't forget about them. And don't treat the customer as if you are doing them a favor by serving you. If you can get over these details, the setting of the restaurant is lovely -- the patio outside is surrounded by a small lawn dotted with flowers, and you can see some of the town's beautiful murals. Honestly, though? I'd recommend the other coffee house in town.

Visited January 2013

Los Angeles
“Gem in a Small Town California”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

While out on the backroads of California to look for Spring.. happened upon this Cafe in the cute town of Exeter-
Pros: Shaded patio with lots of pretty green-and a fountain to enjoy your lunch-
Fresh choices-lots of salads with spinach, fresh fruits and tasty toppings- unique and yummy.
Salad size was perfect for an Entree salad or could be shared with a friend.. and say split a sandwich or bowl of soup. The Saturday I visited -they only had one soup.. maybe when the weather is cooler there are more soup choices?
The omelettes I saw pass by also looked tasty.
Lots of great coffee drinks.. I spent about $4.00 on my tasty coffee/chocolate drink but VERY GOOD!
Loved the ambiance-inside looked cozy too-liked the use of old wood tables..wish that had been carried out to the patio-not crazy about the metal chairs and tables on the patio
You walk in and order and then food is brought out to you.. lots of choices on the menu- can almost seem overwhelming!
I think a nice touch would be small samples of a tempting baked good of which the case had many.. sometimes just a taste is enough to warrant a purchase..
It is a tad on the more pricey side- more comparable to say a place in LA but.. it is a small town and the care and quality of the ingredients may seem to warrant it..

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exeter, California, United States
“Slow service, pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went here with some friends for coffee and some ate food. One of the friends wanted a cinnamon roll, they didn't carry any. It was 9:30 am and not much to choose from for pastries. I only had coffee. When the others finally got there food, they didn't bring any utensils, so had to ask, and one friend even commented on hers would be cold by the time she got something to eat it with. They have you serve yourself coffee, water, and drinks. I was disappointed and thought the prices were a little high.

Visited January 2013
Springville, CA
“Awesome food and drink!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Love this place as many of my friends do too. Can be a little pricey but worth it. They have great choices in drinks too, fresh tea, blended coffees and smoothies! The salads and sandwiches are so good!

Porterville, California
“great coffees and pastries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

nice little non-corporate coffee shop
they have good pastries and coffees as well as sandwiches and salads - a nice little patio to enjoy during warmer weather

Visited June 2012